Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dbrman is on a distinguished road
Default WN2000RPT firmware

Anyone know when Netgear might update the firmware from the launch version? Unfortunately, I purchased two of these and the firmware is so basic that they just don't work on my network. If they provided a completely manual setup instead of a very weak wizard I could probably get them working.

yes - I have read the 'helpful' FAQ and tried the hidden workaround and reset them multiple times and tried everything else I can think of.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WN2000RPT firmware

go to my.netgear.com and ask support
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

NetworkGenie is on a distinguished road

What in/on your network do you think is the root issue that is preventing these devices from working properly?
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The answer to your question is that connected PCs cannot reach a DNS server even if I enter the correct settings and the DNS server manually.

When I run the wizard it puts the WN2000 on a totally different network. However the address is not even in the same sub domain as my satellite modem which is 192.168.0.1 so I have no idea why the wizard comes up with this spurious address.

Happy to hear I am being stupid!

This was my original posting which got no replies:

I have Linksys Router connected to Linksys Wireless Access Point linked to WN2000RPT range extender by wireless. (THE ROUTER CONNECTS TO A HUGHES SATELLITE MODEM)

My entire home network is in range 192.168.15.(100 to 149) all running fine on the Linksys Access Point. When I run smart wizard it puts WN2000 on 192.168.1.250 so it does not work.

Manual override tried and set manual IP of WN2000 to 192.168.15.140 AND switched on WN2000 DHCP and set range between 141 and 149 (because it did not work by giving Router DHCP Gateway address of 192.168.15.1 to WN2000). Also entered DNS address supplied by ISP.

Still can't get a connection to Internet - only local to WN2000.

Checked ipconfig on PC and despite entering DNS setting from ISP the PC is still trying to get the DNS from the WN2000RPT local address.

Must be doing something stupid -any ideas?
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

stafli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrman View Post
Anyone know when Netgear might update the firmware from the launch version?
There is a new firmware (ver. 1.0.1.20):
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13017
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hello,

Can you confirm what firmware you're running on the WN2000RPT? As well as confirm you have the latest firmware on the Linksys router you have. Once you have all the latest firmware installed try this:

If the Linksys router supports WPS, press the WPS Button on the WN2000RPT, then press the WPS button on the Linksys router. WN2000RPT will connect to Linksys router through WPS. When the WN2000RPT connects to Linksys router, the link rate LED lights up.

The WN2000RPT’s wireless SSID changes to Linksys router’s SSID with _EXT at the end. The WN2000RPT uses the same wireless security settings as Linksys router. Please connect the wireless client to this SSID.

Good luck, let me know the outcome.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the reply NetworkGenie! These Linksys devices are old and don't support WPS as far as I know.

The Router is a LinkSys RT31P2 with a Vonage phone attached, and the wireless access point is a WAP54G. I ran a manual setup on a LinkSys range extender type WRE54G version 3 a couple of years ago and I have one of these working successfully on this setup (I turned off the power to this when setting up the WN2000!). I did have two WRE54G working successfully on this network but the electronics in one has failed. At that point I did a search online and people were recommending the WN2000 as the set-up was easy so I got two to replace the WRE units which are no longer sold.

It's not relevant but the WAP54G is fitted with a pair of large hi-gain antenna that are designed for this unit (7dBi).

On your final point - I did manage a local connection from the wireless client to the WN2000 without problem but I can't get to the internet.

The support info on the firmware update seems to say it is mainly improving WPS capabilities. I am still running the launch firmware.

Thanks
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I would suggest downloading the latest firmware and see where that gets you even if your router does not have WPS, it may fix some connection issues.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Will try that and report back. Thanks
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Cant download at present.

Maybe Netgear server maintenance at this time.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN...-V1.0.1.20.zip the International version times out and also ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN...1.0.1.20NA.zip the USA version times out.

Tried cuteFTP as well as the browser with same result.

Will try again when West Coast wakes up.