Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM

96DGGM is on a distinguished road
Default Beyond frustrated - no internet

Let me start by saying Iíve had a NetGear WNR3500 router for a year or more. It has given me zero problems since the day I bought it.

I have Frontier DSL (used to be Verizon) and it has been trouble free for several years. I recently upgraded to a faster service and I was given a new Westel 7500 DSL modem/router. I have no problems using the new DSL modem and my computer (XP SP3) together. It works great.

The problem happens when I try to install my WNR3500 between my PC and the modem. Yes, Iíve turned off the wireless function, DHCP server and set the mode to Bridge-Bridge. Itís IP address is set to 192.168.1.1. My router is configured to spoof the MAC address, has the IP address set to 192.168.2.1 (tried 192.168.1.2 and several others). It is able to detect the Frontier assigned IP, DNS, SubnetÖ etc. Everything matches exactly when compared to the data copied from modem when it is in use by itself. Where it falls on its face is when I try to view a web page. I can see other computers on my local LAN, I can connect to the router but not see the modem (not sure if I am supposed to) or anything outside of it.

Iíve been working on this for several days and am at my wits end. Frontier has given me their advise (set it to bridge Ė bridge mode) and said if that does not work, fix your router. Iíve been scouring the forums, Google searches and talking with friends but nothing has worked. I NEED HELP PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Thanks,
TOM B
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beyond frustrated - no internet

Quote:
Westel 7500 DSL modem/router
call isp and ask how to do BRIDGE mode. this is must for modem/router combo

Quote:
Iíve turned off the wireless function, DHCP server and set the mode to Bridge-Bridge.
if you setup correctly, you would not use 192.168.2.x on 3500. you should be using PPPoE setup under basic settings

login required , authentication mode to "other" and provide correct user/pass for dsl account
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM

The 7500 DSL modem is setup in bridge mode as per thier online directions as well as thier customer service "help". I've gone over it with Frontier 4 times in the last 5 days and followed countless instructional tutorials online - they all say the same thing and I am sure I am doing it correctly.

I do not have an online user name and password for my DSL account. It is always on and I only have to give it my user name. The NetGear router is able to retrieve all of the proper information from the ISP so I know it is getting through. In all the years I've had DSL I have never had to enter in a password for anything other than my email. I can switch back to my old modem and it works fine with the router. I've tried various settings with PPPoE and it gets no where. I was just hoping I've missed something and about to pull my hair out.

Ther are so many tutorials out there on the web, it is hard to make sense who is right. I just tried and set: my PC (192.168.1.100), the DSL modem (192.168.1.1) and the router (192.168.1.2) and no change in behavior.

What I can't understand is why the router can retrieve the IP, DNS, 2nd DNS and Subnet on it's own but can't allow me to connect to the internet. Thanks for the input.
TOM B
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM

if DSL uses PPPoE, it should be user /pass for both not just username only.

I could be wrong but if so this is fast time that only username is need it for DSL with PPPoE account

if you are getting 192.x.x.x or private ip on netgear router's internet ports then westell is not in bridge mode.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM

With the assigned IP addresses as shown in my previous post and the computer IP address being assigned by the NetGear router via DHCP, the router was able to get the following info automatically:
IP Gateway 71.112.205.1
Primary DNS 184.16.4.22
Secondary DNS 184.16.33.54
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Broadband IP 71.112.205.xxx

This is with the router MAC being spoofed into thinking it is the MAC address of the DSL modem and the router in bridge mode. If the modem was not working properly with the router would I be able to resolve the Frontier addresses?

If I did not have the login information right (not using PPPoE like you suggest), would I still be able to resolve the Frontier addresses but not access the internet?

Thanks again,
TOM B
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM

Looks fine.

It should have Internet traffic.

Don't use Mac spoof at all and see. If you are going to use Mac spoof use pc's mac address and not dsl modem's Mac address
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM

It does not work with my computer MAC nor the router MAC. It will only get the info if I spoof the modem MAC in the router. This is what has me so confused and frustrated. I figure I will call Frontier on Friday and have them reset my MAC to the router factory MAC and see if it gets me anywhere. If that does not work I am not sure what I will do. I am not in a position to replace it and nobody near me has one I can borrow so I'll have to think of something. When you reset the NetGear to factory defaults, does it "really" set it to the defaults or could something be lingering I wonder?? Thanks for all your help - TOM B