Old March 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

kbrady is on a distinguished road
Default Can my GS724T identify IP addresses connected to the ports

I am very happy with this unit which has been operating on my home ethernet LAN for three years. I never configured it.

Unfortunately, the installer who put in our ethernet did not identify the cables by room location.

I would like to adjust the bandwidth between several of my computers. I can access the switch using a web browser. Parenthetically I cannot Netgear utility to see this which even when I install this month's download install on by Windows 7 64-bit machine. I am limited to web access

Using web access the switch of course tells me the data rate of the various computers by port. Can the switch. Tell me either the IP address or the Windows name of the computers by port? How do I find this. Is this a function which requires the utility. If so, why won't the utility "discover" the switch.

Meanwhile this equipment is working very well. Otherwise.
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can my GS724T identify IP addresses connected to the ports

smart switch is not like layer3 switch. it will not control the IP so you will not identify ip address
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:54 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

The simplest way to resolve your dilemma is to unplug the cables one by one and see what gets disconnected and then label them - there are other ways, if you wish to invest in the appropriate equipment.

With regard identifying the ip address or Windows name of the machine connected to the port - no switch will do that (ip addresses & host names are not used by the switching process) some will report the MAC address of the connected system, but I don't think the GS series of Netgear switch will do that - at least not the last time I checked, it may or may not have been included in a later firmware update.

The data rate reported by the switch is actually the speed setting negotiated by the switch on a per port basis and does not actually reflect the bandwidth being used and in fact the switch has very limited (if any) control over the bandwidth - some allow ingress & egress limiting, unfortunately I do not recall if the GS series is one of these.

Last but not least - the utility - if you have not changed the switch configuration, the most likely cause of the utility not discovering the switch would be that it is blocked by a software firewall or security suite on your computer.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM

kbrady is on a distinguished road

Excellent. Thank you for both of these useful responses. Kevin