Old March 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM

rott3nhippi3 is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3400 & Remote Desktop

This question has been posted before in the forum, but not for my specific model so I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to get around my issue.

I recently swapped from a Linksys G to this new Netgear N600. So far, things have been pretty smooth with the exception of using Remote Desktop over VPN. This functionality works just fine using my Linksys router or even going direct from my ISPs cable modem. I've used the info I got from here and port triggered 3389, 1773 (pptp), and port 47. None of this has helped.

Has anyone got RDP to work using a Netgear N router? I'm dying here... and can't RDP my desktops at work.

Thanks in advance...
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3400 & Remote Desktop

only 3389 is need it for RDP

linksys may have used different lan subnet such as 192.168.1.x and wndr uses 192.168.0.x. Could be same but it is possible that change of the router with LAN subnet no longer the same, third party firewall on this pc could not setup correctly after changing the router
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

RogerSC is on a distinguished road

I use a WNDR3700 to get onto my work VPN, and then remote desktop to my work Windows desktop.

Very generic setup, it just works, no problems. Didn't have to open any ports, set up anything, just like the rest of the internet.

-Roger
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

madhatter is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it works fine. Let's say you have 3 machines. You can change the port # for remote desktop access for 2 out of 3 machines:
Machine A = 3387
Machine B = 3388
Machine C = 3389 (the default in the registry)

Now you need the IP address from your ISP which you can easily get from www.speedtest.net.

You will define your new RDP session using the REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION Manager. You can use DDNS or NOIP to create a HOST that you can use if you have a dynamic IP from your ISP.

In your remote computer you will define a STATIC IP Address, example 192.168.0.55

Now in your router you will use port forwarding to forward 3387, 3388 or 3389 (depending on which machine it is, to 192.168.0.55

Now when you execute the RDP command, it will prompt you to login to the remote machine.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM

rott3nhippi3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
Yeah, it works fine. Let's say you have 3 machines. You can change the port # for remote desktop access for 2 out of 3 machines:
Machine A = 3387
Machine B = 3388
Machine C = 3389 (the default in the registry)

Now you need the IP address from your ISP which you can easily get from www.speedtest.net.

You will define your new RDP session using the REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION Manager. You can use DDNS or NOIP to create a HOST that you can use if you have a dynamic IP from your ISP.

In your remote computer you will define a STATIC IP Address, example 192.168.0.55

Now in your router you will use port forwarding to forward 3387, 3388 or 3389 (depending on which machine it is, to 192.168.0.55

Now when you execute the RDP command, it will prompt you to login to the remote machine.
I'm not sure I'm following your instructions here. The problem I have is trying to RDP to desktops that exist over the VPN tunnel to my work desktops (a variety of XP and Win7 all with RDP enabled). That being said, I can't assign static IPs to my work PCs on the DHCP domain nor would I want to change any of the port information. Standards at the workplace!!

Regardless, I think I resolved my own problem. For whatever reason, with this router, I can't RDP using machine name. I had to use the IP. Once I brought that info home with me, RDP worked! Who knew?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

under VPN tunnel, IPSec base do not require ports to be open.

also you must have PC that you are accepting the connection for RDP must trust the IP (priviate), the pc that is running RDP