Old March 18th, 2011, 09:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Alpha_Nerd is on a distinguished road
Question Clarification on how to use the WLAN & WPS buttons on front of Router

I have the WNDR3700v2 with updated FW 1.0.0.8.

This is my first Netgear router, really like it. But I'm sort of puzzled about how the WLAN and WPS buttons work. The setup manual just says what happens when their ON or OFF.

BUT when I press the WLAN button, nothing happens...it took me awhile to figure out I had to hold it for a few seconds to turn OFF or ON.
- Is this normal?

The same for the WPS button, how do I turn if OFF immediately?
- I press it, the WPS light blinks for ~2 mins and turns off.
- Is there a way to disable it in the settings completely?

From what little I've read on WPS it send the wireless settings info to WPS capable devices...I don't like this. So in the settings I only allowed the MAC addresses of my wireless devices. I'm afraid each time I press that WPS button to turn it off it'll send my Wireless password to neighbours.
- Was MAC filtering a good way of preventing this? Should anything else be done?

I've disabled the 5ghz wireless in the settings, I don't think I have devices that use it actually. But I notice that hold the WLAN button to turn ON the wireless again both LED lights are back on. (Both 2.4 and 5ghz).
- So if I use the WLAN button on the front, it'll ignore my settings and turn both 2.4GHz and 5GHz back ON? Is it suppose to do that?
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clarification on how to use the WLAN & WPS buttons on front of Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Nerd View Post
BUT when I press the WLAN button, nothing happens...it took me awhile to figure out I had to hold it for a few seconds to turn OFF or ON.
- Is this normal?
Yes, it is normal to hold it in for a few seconds to toggle the radios.

Quote:
The same for the WPS button, how do I turn if OFF immediately?
- I press it, the WPS light blinks for ~2 mins and turns off.
- Is there a way to disable it in the settings completely?
No, you can't disable it completely. You can disable the router's pin from the "Advanced" section, "Wireless Settings" page.

Quote:
I'm afraid each time I press that WPS button to turn it off it'll send my Wireless password to neighbours.
- Was MAC filtering a good way of preventing this? Should anything else be done?
WPS is only active when you press the button, so don't press the button.

Quote:
I notice that hold the WLAN button to turn ON the wireless again both LED lights are back on. (Both 2.4 and 5ghz).
- So if I use the WLAN button on the front, it'll ignore my settings and turn both 2.4GHz and 5GHz back ON? Is it suppose to do that?
Yes, that's the way it works.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Clarification on how to use the WLAN & WPS buttons on front of Router

Ah crap, I've probably pressed the WPS button a few times now...

- Does this mean its sent my wireless password to neighbours with capable devices?
- Should I change my password? Or is the MAC address filtering enough?

Oh and you're right about the WLAN button, checked my settings my settings when I turned on wireless button, both 2.4 and 5GHz are enabled in the settings again...lol it totally ignores my setting. Oh well I don't usually need the wireless on all day anyway.
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:39 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does this mean its sent my wireless password to neighbours with capable devices?
Let me first say that I don't use WPS and am not entirely familiar with it's use. Having said that, as you probably know, the router doesn't discriminate between clients you or your neighbor owns. However, as I understand it, the difference is that your neighbor's WPS clients would have to be asking the router at the same time you pushed the button on the router in order to receive anything. How likely that the timing was that perfect I can't say.

Quote:
Should I change my password? Or is the MAC address filtering enough?
By password I presume you are referring to the passphrase for the security encryption that you have enabled for the wireless and not the password for the router. In any case, that would be up to you. You might feel better by doing so, even if it isn't necessary.

As to MAC filtering, I'm reminded of a conversation awhile back about it's usefulness in general. I do use it, but I don't totally rely on it solely. I use only WPA2-PSK [AES] with a 64 hex digits passphrase as the first line of defense against unwanted wireless access.

Quote:
Oh and you're right about the WLAN button, checked my settings my settings when I turned on wireless button, both 2.4 and 5GHz are enabled in the settings again...lol it totally ignores my setting. Oh well I don't usually need the wireless on all day anyway.
I also would prefer that it honored what I have configured in the router's settings. However, maybe Netgear may feel that someone less technical in such matters might wonder why only one radio is working when they press the enable/disable wireless function button, which suggests all or nothing.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

WLAN button is to stop the wireless broadcasting

WPS is a form easy connectivity setup for wireless over using standard encryption such as WPA2.

Difference in standards encryption and WPS setup is below

WPS setup requires WPS supported wifi adapter

Pressing WPS at router will activates while wifi adapter have to use key number listed under router. Key number is not same as encryption pass phrase

WPS do have advantage of constant change in encryption, wireless channel.

When WPS is pressed and you do not have wifi adapter that supports WPS then router will have timeout period and it will turn off itself while standard wifi connectivity should not halt using the wifi connectivity
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks Devor, jmizoguchi for the help.

I suppose it is unlikely that a neighbour WPS clients are asking at the same time as I press. Also the WPS light did time out each time, so I guess it didn't find anything.

I"m using also using WPA2-PSK [AES], but my passphrase is only 15 digits long...maybe I'll change it for the hell of it.

Thanks again
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

you are probably fine .....
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sander71 is on a distinguished road

There are some more misbehaviours with the front cover buttons, using the WLAN button always switches both 2.4 & 5Ghz bands on, it doesn't matter if your router was configured to only use 1 of them.

It's a bit meaningless this router states that bears an Energy label, when it switches EVERYTHING on, even when it was configured to only use 1 band.
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
NETGEAR Expert

KevTech is on a distinguished road

Mac filtering for security is pretty much useless and sometimes hurts performance.

Having a good passphrase is about all you can do to secure your network and changing the passphrase every so often is also good.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

PBak is on a distinguished road

Wireless security is a good thing, using WPS to set it up is an easy and safe way of doing it.
Don't get paranoid about your neighbors

...but you can actually simply check the log file of the router after you have used WPS. It shows what has happened, and I bet it will only show your own devices!

I see wireless security as a way to prevent your neighbor (or a drive by hacker) to use your internet connection for free, and it works great in doing that. WPA2-AES is very secure and has great performance.
You should be much more concerned about hackers on the internet