Old April 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dennise is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614 No Wireless Connections

My WGR614 (V1, I think) will only show wired devices.

While the 3-4 wireless devices recently appeared in "Attached Devices" and worked well, I no longer have any WiFi connections and no wireless devices appear in the attached devices window. I can connect to the internet OK via the WGR614 using a wired cable modem connection.

This happened slowly over a couple days as the WiFi connections became unstable (often showing strange device names) and finally disappeared all together.

I haven't changed anything and have no clue why I have lost all my WRG614 wireless connections.

HELP !!!
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Reckl3ss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614 No Wireless Connections

reconfigure wireless settings in the router settings. change channels as well, also try to disable and renable the wireless radio.
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:57 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Regardless of wireless settings, you should see your wireless name broadcasted

Sounds like you may have bad internal wireless in the router. Could be time for new one. Attach devices iw not really good way to diagnose sice it is not reliable. Best is to able to scan anse see the ssid name first
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your replies.

Something is very strange indeed with this WRG614V1, which has served me well for many years.

Today, it is operating normally again including my usual internet access via a cable modem. The WRG's Settings windows (access via http://192.168.0.1/start.htm) are all normal and show all attached wired and wireless devices correctly. These attached devices all work OK when my WGR is 'UP" as they do today. They are:

Wired:
  • My PC
  • Vonage voice modem (aka Linksys RTP300)

Wireless:
  • Brother wireless printer
  • Roku radio player
  • Wife's PC

Since the failures in my original post yesterday, nothing I'm aware has happened that would correct the trouble in my original post. The router appears to have fixed itself! That trouble, together with others have been plaguing me intermittently for a couple months. Here are some strange symptoms:
  • When logging on to the WGR router settings, I sometimes get: "This device is being managed by GRENAS-INSPIRON" (my wife's PC that is connected wirelessly). Bizarre!
  • No wireless devices appear in the WGR's Attached Devices window.
  • Devices in the Attached Devices window sometimes have corrupted device names.

Of course when certain of the above behaviors occur, connectivity to some wired AND wireless devices is lost and these devices do not work.

QUESTION: Could a faulty cable modem or even my ISP cause my WGR to "go berserk" at times?

Here is my configuration:

ISP cable --> Cable Modem -->WGR Router --> Vonage Voice Modem (wired)
--> My PC (wired)
Wife's PC (wireless)
Roku radio player (wireless)
Brother printer (wireless)
One problem that has always existed is the inability to access my Vonage voice modem. Using the WGR's Attached Devices IP addresses (today as 192.168.0.4 for the voice modem) I always get a timeout even though this voice modem device works correctly when the WGR is "up". Bizarre!

Any ideas that could explain some of this instability?
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
When logging on to the WGR router settings, I sometimes get: "This device is being managed by GRENAS-INSPIRON" (my wife's PC that is connected wirelessly). Bizarre!
it is not bizarre. router ONLY allows only one IP and if YOU do not log out correctly then it will show the error. you MUST always use "log off" at left bottom of the interface but NOT with "x" on browser. if you do not and DHCP assigns the IP to other computer, you will get this message.

you have POWER ON/OFF the router to fix this issues. this is EU issues

Quote:
No wireless devices appear in the WGR's Attached Devices window.
Devices in the Attached Devices window sometimes have corrupted device names.
some of the ARP resolution can cause this and should no cause any issues on actual wifi device to connect to wireless and gets internet connection

Quote:
One problem that has always existed is the inability to access my Vonage voice modem
best is to test the PC with static IP and use ONLY pc and vonage and still gets same issues. you may need to reset the vonage as well

Also I would reset the router and observe the issues
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
it is not bizarre. router ONLY allows only one IP and if YOU do not log out correctly then it will show the error. you MUST always use "log off" at left bottom of the interface but NOT with "x" on browser. if you do not and DHCP assigns the IP to other computer, you will get this message.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that next time I see the trouble. What is/are "EU issues"?
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM

EU stands for End User...
Old April 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennise View Post
When logging on to the WGR router settings, I sometimes get: "This device is being managed by GRENAS-INSPIRON" (my wife's PC that is connected wirelessly). Bizarre!
Since you say that is ‘Bizarre’ I assume you had not been logged in to the router configuration pages from that PC? If so then perhaps the PC was using UPnP for some purpose, you could try disabling UPnP in the router configuration settings.

My name is Andy.
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Since you say that is ‘Bizarre’ I assume you had not been logged in to the router configuration pages from that PC? If so then perhaps the PC was using UPnP for some purpose, you could try disabling UPnP in the router configuration settings.
I'm not using UPnP, it is not enabled.

This trouble has reappeared i.e. when accessing my WGR614 at http://192.168.0.1/start.htm from my PC, it says my router is being managed by another device: (my wife's PC)!

When I try to access the router from my wife's PC, the router asks for UN and password ..... meaning her PC is NOT really logged into the router? I enter the UN and PW on her PC and then see the usual WGR614 window. Then I use the lower left "LOGOUT" on her PC and return to my PC. There, a normal access is granted from my PC. When finished, I now ALWAYS use the lower left LOGOUT from my router window. Sometime later (minutes, hours?) when I try to access the router,there it is again .... router is being managed by another device (my wife's PC)!

Bizarro ............. what is causing this? My wife has zero knowledge of networks (so she is definitely NOT trying to access the router) and no one else is in the house except her and I.
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
This trouble has reappeared i.e. when accessing my WGR614 at http://192.168.0.1/start.htm from my PC, it says my router is being managed by another device: (my wife's PC)!
already answered