Old April 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
NETGEAR User

Nicaaw is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3700v2 will not reset

I just noticed that I canīt reset my WNDR3700v2. I have tried resetting through the web interface as well as using the hard reset button on the device, however the device only seems to reboot. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have not tried a hard 30 30 30 reset. The device is not bricked. It works just fine. Im just curious as to why I canīt reset.
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3700v2 will not reset

30-30-30 is right... 20-20-20 is correct

also see router reset on my sig below...
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

What were you expecting the reset to accomplish? If, you were expecting a reset to revert back to the original factory installed firmware, a reset will not work. I say this only because this scenario has happened before.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:09 AM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devor View Post
What were you expecting the reset to accomplish? If, you were expecting a reset to revert back to the original factory installed firmware, a reset will not work. I say this only because this scenario has happened before.
I expect the manual reset button to revert back to default factory settings. This is normal with network devices as one may forget the login information/ip settings may need to be changed etc. I also noted that the software reset button says "revert back to default factory settings". But this is not whap happens.

My guess is that a 30-30-30/20-20-20 reset will accomplish my goal.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

20-20-020 is not only way to reset

See other method listed in router reset page.

SimPle 10sec works aswell
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM
NETGEAR Expert

mastershake is on a distinguished road

or if you can access the gui you can simply use the erase button works perfectly fine (best way imo as well as according to the netgear engineer i have asked)
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
20-20-020 is not only way to reset

See other method listed in router reset page.

SimPle 10sec works aswell
Thank you. Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post
or if you can access the gui you can simply use the erase button works perfectly fine (best way imo as well as according to the netgear engineer i have asked)
Actually in my case this does not work perfectly fine. In my case clicking the erease button will only reboot the router and not reset any settings.
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM

kugumby is on a distinguished road

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my WNR3500v2. I bought it used and wanted to reset it so I could configure with my own passwords. Like yours, it is currently working as configured in wired mode. (I contacted the seller and he gave me some suggestions regarding username and password for the current configuration, but none work.) The problem is that I can't access the wireless from my phone or laptop because the seller can't remember the password. I can see the wireless signal that has the name he gave it, but none of his suggested passwords will authenticate.

I've tried the 10 second reset, the 20, 20, 20 reset, the 30 second reset on and 10 with the power off, the full 60 second reset (I went to 90) and the seldom used, highly difficult 28.37 second reset while hopping on one leg and reciting the pledge of allegiance. Nothing has worked. Each time, the router boots back up, I go to www.routerlogin.net, get the login screen and use admin for the username and password for the password (I've also tried 1234) and after 3 attempts, I get the 401 Unauthorized message. I've deleted my temp internet files via Internet Options in the control panel and I've tried it on another machine that is also connected via ethernet and still no luck.

This is two nights in a row of fiddling with this thing prior to posting this message. Hopefully someone has had the same issue and discovered the fix.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

I dont have a 3500, I know where a few are, but I doubt I would be allowed to tinker ;P.

You said you emailed a previous owner, perhaps he tried to install a 3rd party firmware and failed?.

I would be tempted to unlock the telnet feature on it, telnet into the unit (no password will be required) and check to see what settings it has. LIKELY with the busybox build and such that would be on that unit I would think something like "config show".

You could get the password from the list it brings up, It still wouldnt explain why the reset button doesnt work, but if you could log into the unit you may be able to change settings, reflash the firmware, and be happy again.
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Stafforden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
30-30-30 is right... 20-20-20 is correct

also see router reset on my sig below...
I'm a bit confused about FW upgrade procedure. Should I follow your guide and not Devor's "Sticky"? If hard reset is proper (20-20-20 or whatever) procedure then why is that not even mentioned in Devor's guide? Just want to make it right.