Old April 21st, 2011, 01:14 AM

akastormseeker is on a distinguished road
Default FS726T Issues

I have a network with several FS726T's, and an assortment of GSxxxT switches. I am currently having two different issues with the FS726T's: First off, they are unable to get DHCP information from our Windows Server 2008 R2 DHCP server, while the GSxxxT switches have no problems and are working fine in DHCP mode. The other problem is that I tried to upgrade the firmware on one of the FS726T's to 2.0.1_02, and following the instructions exactly, I am unable to see the switch in the Smart Control Center software after updating the boot code. The switch also does not show up in Smartwizard Discovery any more either. Actually, half of the time, I am unable to see ANYTHING in the SCC software, and it just says "Polling for agent with no response" and has a Quit button. The other half of the time, it starts up, but has no network device selected. When I select one and click Apply, it says it needs to quit to apply changes, and then when it comes back up, it still does not have a device selected. Occasionally, it will come up with a network card selected, do its discovery thing, and find nothing.

So, to sum it up:
1. None of my FS726T's are getting DHCP leases
2. One FS726T failed (i think - SmartWizard said it was success, but nothing works) to update boot code during firmware update process
3. Smart Control Center is not working very well, or at all
4. The captchas are broken on the forum. They are telling me I typed the words incorrectly about 75% of the time even when the words are clearly visible and I type them carefully.
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FS726T Issues

I know this does not solve your problem - but it does "fix" it - I STRONGLY suggest you use static addresses on ALL your network infrastructure hardware - with static addressing, if for some reason the DHCP server is unreachable, your network infrastructure hardware WILL be at the addresses you set them to, if dynamic addressing is used, you have no guarantee that a particular switch will have a current lease.

Remember - DHCP reservations depend on the DHCP server being available, static address do not.

Next - in my experience, upgrading the firmware on Netgear switches can be a kind of "hit & miss" affair, sometimes requiring a lot of fiddling and repeat attempts - I've seen firmware upgrades leave the FS726T switches looking like if they have been bricked, they switch as an unmanaged switch would, but are otherwise dead and will not respond to pings, or accept connections on the webserver or from the SmartWizard.

It you're not running the SmartWizard from a machine with a 192.168.0.x network address, try that, also see if you can find a copy of the older 2.05.03 SmartWizard and try that.
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
he other problem is that I tried to upgrade the firmware on one of the FS726T's to 2.0.1_02, and following the instructions exactly, I am unable to see the switch in the Smart Control Center software after updating the boot code. The switch also does not show up in Smartwizard Discovery any more either.
I has issue this before, I had to factory default on front panel and I got it back.
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:41 AM

akastormseeker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips. After lots of fiddling and factory-resetting with no success, I installed the Smart Control Center software on my laptop, and it worked perfectly, saw the switch, and I was able to finish the firmware upgrade process.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:21 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to use console base switch incase of failure. My FSxx died recently and I have other spare of layer 2 swtich and HP switch which both as console ports.