Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old April 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

gr8whyt is on a distinguished road
Default Not Showing Attached Devices

My first post, so pardon if this has been asked and answered...I couldn't find anything on a search.

The router works great and I've had no problem with it. But when I go into the router manager software, Maintenance section, Attached Devices, nothing ever is shown. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

-- gr8whyt
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Not Showing Attached Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8whyt View Post
My first post, so pardon if this has been asked and answered...I couldn't find anything on a search.

The router works great and I've had no problem with it. But when I go into the router manager software, Maintenance section, Attached Devices, nothing ever is shown. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

-- gr8whyt
I guess I should add this is a WNDR3700v2 with the latest updates.

-- gr8whyt
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:21 AM

Vaden is on a distinguished road

I got my WNDR3700v2 2 days ago, its much faster than my old DLINK but I have this issue as well. It showed all connected clients on the first day but not anymore.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I wonder if it's because I'm running the admin wirelessly. It's a bit of a PITA to connect by wire. If that's the reason, why?

-- gr8whyt
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

gferg is on a distinguished road

Hello, Several of us have experienced an ongoing problem with attached devices. I have not seen a fix for the problem. But you can possibly see the devices if you right click on the empty attached devices chart and choose to view frame source...it will show the mac address of devices which are currently attached (at least it worked for me).
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ABalthazor is on a distinguished road

This is pretty annoying. It makes doing DHCP reservations a little bit of a pain.
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:03 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Reboot the device you want to do a reservation on - it will probably show immediately and continue to do so for several minutes.

I'm assuming that this router behaves as many of the others do - devices not shown in the attached devices listing has been an issue, and is caused by the method used to extract the information - Netgear seems to use the router's arp cache, and that only shows devices which are currently active - if the device is attached and inactive, the cache entry will be purged at some point.

There are other ways to extract this information, but none of them are 100% reliable.
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ABalthazor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
Reboot the device you want to do a reservation on - it will probably show immediately and continue to do so for several minutes.

I'm assuming that this router behaves as many of the others do - devices not shown in the attached devices listing has been an issue, and is caused by the method used to extract the information - Netgear seems to use the router's arp cache, and that only shows devices which are currently active - if the device is attached and inactive, the cache entry will be purged at some point.

There are other ways to extract this information, but none of them are 100% reliable.
Does Netgear have a formal way of reporting issues like this? While I generally like the performance of this router, I don't think we should have to resort to workarounds for things like this.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

davejo is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure my devices showed up prior to the V1.0.7.98 firmware update...I'm thinking of going backwards with the firmware as I could see no real benefit of the updated version as I don't use the guest account or the USB either.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

davejo is on a distinguished road

Ok an update on my last post a few minutes ago. It's definately firmware thats causing the roblem.

I have just re-installed V1.0.4.68 and I can see all attached devices.

So if you really need to see the attached devices I suggest you do the same.