Old May 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM

photonius is on a distinguished road
Default IP address out of range - ideas?

Hello,
I foolishly assigned my ReadyNAS to have a fixed IP address that is out of my Netgear router's default DHCP assignment range. I need the router to see it in order to communicate with it (or to change it's IP address back to be 'in range').

Is there any way to get the router to see an IP address outside of it's default range?

Any other ideas on how best to approach this problem?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IP address out of range - ideas?

Setting a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP server is the correct thing to do. When you say the router canít see the NAS do you mean it isnít listed in Attached Devices, a problem a number of routers seem to suffer from? Are you sure that the static IP address entered at the NAS was correct and on the same subnet, you didnít enter it in error e.g. 192.186.1.x, easily done and hard to reverse if you didnít spot the error. You may need to reset the NAS to regain access.

If and when you do regain access it might be better to use the router DHCP Address Reservation feature rather than set a static IP at the NAS (donít forget to make sure the NAS is set for DHCP).

My name is Andy.
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

You don't need the router to "see" the ReadyNAS for anything - you can communicate with it with a PC and a network cable (no router at all) - provided you know how to configure the equipment.

What address did you set and where did you set it?
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for your help.

I set the NAS' IP address as 192.168.9.3

RAIDAR (a program that finds the NAS) sees it at that IP address, but cannot communicate with it.

When I try to reserve that IP address in the router's DHCP menu, it won't let me because it wants me to use an address inside the default range of the router ( 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.345). The options for adjusting the default IP range are limited to the last digit - the others are grayed out.

Jeff
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM

DrBunsen is on a distinguished road

Jeff,

You have set the IP address on the NAS to one that is outside of the IP address range that the default netmask in the router will allow for. The IP address and netmask are identified by 4 octets separated by periods. By default the netmask will be 255.255.255.0 which means that if the IP address is 192.168.1.1 you may change any of the numbers in the last octet. The first 3 octets (the 192.168.1 part) in the IP address have to be the same for all devices but the last one can be changed to something unused in the 1 to 254 range (the router is usually at 1 so you can't use that if it's at the default). Since that allows for 254 devices on a home or small business network that is usually adequate. But if, for some odd reason, you want to be able to use that 3rd octet you'll need to adjust the netmask on all devices from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. That opens up both of the last 2 octets to change. That also means that you can have more than 64,000 devices on your network.

Since I only have a couple dozen devices on my home network I keep the netmask at 255.255.255.0. It sounds like you're wanting some devices to be given DHCP addresses and others be hard set. If you want to manually organize your addressing within the last octet I would suggest something like this:
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.9 Networking equipment (Routers/switches)
192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.19 Storage (NAS, backup)
192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.29 User PCs
192.168.1.30 to 192.168.1.31 Home theater equipment
192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149 DHCP address range
etc. It's more work, with little gain, but some people (like, um... me) do it that way so that they know what devices are what on their network.

Ray
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I agree with DrBunsen, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonius View Post
RAIDAR (a program that finds the NAS) sees it at that IP address, but cannot communicate with it.
If you set a static IP at the PC e.g. 192.168.9.4 then the PC would regain access to the NAS (but nothing else on the LAN), so you could then re-configure the NAS with an IP in the 192.168.1.x subnet of the router (then change the PC back to automatic IP allocation Ė DHCP).

My name is Andy.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM

All is now well. Thanks for your guidance. I changed my PC's IP and subnet mask to work with the NAS', set the NAS to use DHCP, then reserved that IP in the router's reservation list. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Happy networking!

Jeff
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Thatís great

My name is Andy.