Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

PixelHeart is on a distinguished road
Question WNDR3400 WPS Dome Lights Flash

I've been searching the forums and only found a few threads that are close but not exactly my issue.

So I have the WNDR3400 and its secured with WPA2-PSK [AES] and a pretty hard password of 15 characters with numbers, lower case and upper case letters.

Now my issue is that the WPS lights on the dome randomly flash about 5 times very quickly and disappear. It can happen while I'm browsing the internet or streaming movies (netflix) or late at night (2am) they flash and actually wake me up.

Now i've read some suggestions to just turn off the WPS but its already off. I confirmed that the WPS is off by pressing the dome button and the lights aren't on. Turned it on so i know what it looks and the blue LED lights are on constantly with it blinking occasionally, so i know its not that.

I've heard on the net that it might be that the power supply is giving too much power, which i thought might be the case because i was using a different power supply since the one that came with it broke and Netgear refuses to replace, less than 6 month (oh well :P ).

So i find a power supply that matches the specs, another netgear router that broke but it matches it.

That still didn't work. I've tried power cycling the router and modem from the ISP to no avail. I've changed the passphrase/password thinking someone is trying to hack my network ( paranoid about that :P ) but that doesn't work as well

I have yet to restore the router but i will try that here in a bit.

I've also read that it might be a hardware failure with the router itself, but we'll see.

I hope i've been as detailed as i can to explain my issue well. Please let me know if anyone else has this issue and knows a fix.

Thank You.
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3400 WPS Dome Lights Flash

dome light has multiple function. wireless activity , WPS buttons, turn off the blue light press few seconds .
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have already turned off the dome lights. I know that i have to press the dome physically down to turn it off and it is off but the dome led lights randomly flash a few times quick then off.

It is the WPS lights on the dome that flash randomly. The wireless activity lights are normal and those flash when activity is present.

i restored the router and so far its working but ill see.

thanks
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Hi PixelHeart,

Change your SSID, disable broadcast of your SSID and ensure there are no intruders on your network. Be sure to use an ethernet connection when making any changes or you may be disconnected from your network.

Regards, Joe_
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Hi PixelHeart,

Maybe you can help me to verify something AFTER you have fixed your problem. My Internet LED on my WNDR3400 flashes constantly even though ALL my PCs and wireless devices have been switched-off. Does the same happen with yours?

Regards,

Joe_
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
Hi PixelHeart,

Maybe you can help me to verify something AFTER you have fixed your problem. My Internet LED on my WNDR3400 flashes constantly even though ALL my PCs and wireless devices have been switched-off. Does the same happen with yours?

Regards,

Joe_
normal. firewall on router shows the activity from internet with different thing. generally you will NOT see any light will stop blinking even the pc is off.

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
normal. firewall on router shows the activity from internet with different thing. generally you will NOT see any light will stop blinking even the pc is off.
Thanks for your prompt response. But (a) This is conflicting with the manual which states that the internet LED is "supposed" to light steadily, (b) The manual should be amended to reflect this and to avoid confusion, and (c) Why didn't Netgear Support just say so when I queried it with them?

But thanks for the info - "You never stop learning."

Regards,

Joe_
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

three things mostly see blinks is wireless, LAN ports that used and WAN (internet port led)

these shows traffic so don't expect just solid led. only you would expect is power led.. that is always should be solid and if not then the router is faulty..

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

idxpired is on a distinguished road

seems funny, but why dont u stick a cardboard or cloth piece over the wps dome. that way it wont show u blinking even when it is
Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry for the late response. The WPS light no longer lights up randomly after restoring the router and turning off the broadcast feature.

After that though, another issue came up. My router AND modem from ISP show the led 'activity' light are constantly blinking, even when no one is on. I 'power cycled' router and modem.

I unplugged all Ethernet/LAN cables and it still goes crazy. Most of the time is the wireless icon that's going crazy but i dont get it because none of my wireless devices are on and i make a longer password and it's not even broadcasting the SSID.

Once again, sorry for the light reply and hope this helps someone