Old June 1st, 2011, 03:56 AM

Alainke is on a distinguished road
Default Library EVA8000 reader - USB Problem

Hello everyone.

I hope there's still people active on this forum to help me (sorry, I speak French, I hope everyone will understand my problem).

I have a EVA8000 media player and I use Mac OS X (version 10.5.8).

I used my player for months without any problem.
My videos worked without worries. I was using at the time an Iomega USB external hard drive. Since it was getting a little overloaded, the files were more slowly and sometimes there were some problems.

So I decided to buy an external HD and I chose a Western Digital Elements 1.5 T
Too happy to transfer all my files on my disk. Everything happens for the better. No worries.

When I decide to connect my HDD to my drive EVA8000, I note that the reader can not find any file on my DD (but the files are on the disk, I can assure you).
I search on the USB port and after 2 seconds, it tells me there is nothing.

Via "== + More> Supervisor Functions ==> Advanced ==> Managing the library, I can not configure the path to my USB port (I tried on both ports is the same problem).

In the file + management of the library, there's "Path" (tab where I can not enter), "Daily Search" and "View file info. "

Can anyone help me here because I'm starting to not knowing what to do

Thank you for your help.

Alainke
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

StephenB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Library EVA8000 reader - USB Problem

Check this post (from the NTV550 forum):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederikmj View Post
...Apparently you cant format your drive in the OSX disc Utility since the mac makes some kind of "extra" format system on the drive. A "clean" format on a XP machine does the trick though...
Might be some other tricks (or tools) to get the formating to work.
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:25 AM

Alainke is on a distinguished road

To StephenB:

So, you think that I should reformat my disk on a windows machine and afterwards, put my stuff ont the disk before connecting it to my EVA8000 if I did understand well.
And if I don't have a windows machine at all?
Thanks.
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

StephenB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainke View Post
To StephenB:

So, you think that I should reformat my disk on a windows machine and afterwards, put my stuff ont the disk before connecting it to my EVA8000 if I did understand well.
And if I don't have a windows machine at all?
Thanks.
I have heard that gparted ntfs partitioning works with the EVA9150 (bootable Linux CD) http://gparted.sourceforge.net (and that the result works with both OSX and the EVA).

Though I don't have any Macs, so I haven't needed to try this.
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM

z1m is on a distinguished road

Bonjour Alainke

Strictly Mac based:

You can get your eva8000 to recognise usb drives by reformatting using 'Disk Utility'. The key is to change the partition scheme to Master Boot Record. You can then use either HFS+ or FAT filesystem. There are limitations... no files over 4GB. Although you can copy a 4GB+ file to a Mac disk, I can't get the eva to play them. And FAT doesn't support 4GB+.

It is claimed the eva8000 supports the ext2/3 filesystem which would cure the 4GB+ dilemna. There are a couple of Mac software titles which'll let you use ext2/3 on a Mac - they are flaky and I've not come up with anything workable. I've also tried gparted and Ubuntu to format ext2/3/4 with even less success.

Anyone had any results with ext2/3?

Kit: EVA8000, MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, G4/867, MacMini G4/1.42, Marantz SR3001, Sony KDL-40EX401