Old June 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quadzilla is on a distinguished road
Default Unable to connect to Wi-Fi with certain devices

Hello everyone,
I've recently been having problems with my Netgear WNR2000v2. Please bear with me as I'm a novice when it comes to this Wi-Fi stuff. I'm using a Dell studio XPS running Windows 7 SP 1. My broadband modem is a Motorola SBV 5120. There are four wireless devices that are part of my Wi-Fi network, a Dell Inspiron laptop also running Windows 7, a Canon Xmas MX 860 wireless printer, a Netgear Digital Entertainer EVA 9000 and a Barnes & Noble Nook Color. Problem is, I'm unable to connect to my Wi-Fi network with two of these devices, the laptop and the color nook. The broadband Internet connection from the desktop works fine.

I'd assigned drive letters to the hard drive on the Digital Entertainer as well as the RAM on the MX 860. The first problem I noticed was when there was a red "X" over those to drive names in Windows Explorer and I could not access them, I don't recall the exact error message but there was something about the connection not being able to be restored. Also, within Windows Explorer, under "Network" the Digital Entertainer was not listed however the MX 860 was although I got an error when trying to access it. I used the procedure in the Netgear manual to start a new WPS connection using the pushbutton method and that seemed to fix the problem for the MX 868 and the Digital Entertainer. It wasn't until later when I tried to use my laptop that I noticed I couldn't access my Wi-Fi network with it, my network name (Eric) was not listed under the available networks in range. There were other networks listed, the ones that usually appear but those are secure networks. The same thing happened with my Color Nook however with the Nook I was able to connect to a different network at a different location.

I tried turning off the Netgear router for several minutes then turning it back on to try to reestablish a connection with the laptop but that did no good, my Wi-Fi network name still does not appear as a list of available networks. However, when I tried to do the same thing with my digital entertainer, the network name does appear and I'm able to connect without a problem. To connect with the Digital Entertainer I used the "connect with push 'n connect" feature and then pressed the WPS button on the Netgear router. All these wireless devices are within 10 feet of the router so distance shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming it is a router problem as I was able to connect to another Wi-Fi network with the color nook and my laptop does have other Wi-Fi networks listed in the list of available networks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!