Old June 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM

najah is on a distinguished road
Default Help! how do i set up a password for my net gear?

i've a net get router but i dont know how to protect it with a passord (my conection) coz all my neighbors are conecting using my wireless signal and my internet get slow. Ive the WINDOWS VISTA, can u please help me how to do it step by step.
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

_Wolverine_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help! how do i set up a password for my net gear?

Enabling Wireless Security

1. Please access the web-based utility of the router.

a. Open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
b. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
c. A window will prompt for a username and password. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".

Note: Username and password are case sensitive, if it does not take password as the password, you might have changed it when you ran the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords.

d. When the setup page opens, click on the Wireless Settings under Setup.
e. You may change the SSID to any unique name.
f. Scroll down, look for the Security Options and select WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).
g. Set the Authentication Type to "Automatic" and the Encryption Strength to "64bit".
h. Leave the Passphrase field blank, select Key 1 and enter a 10-digit number.
i. Click Apply button to save the changes.

The router is now secured and we are ready to configure the wireless computer. If the computer is using Windows built-in wireless program to manage the wireless adapter, please proceed to step 2.

2. Connect the wireless computer to the router.

For Windows XP Service Pack 1:

a. Please right click on the Wireless icon on the bottom right corner of your computer. Then click on to View Available Wireless Networks.
b. Click on the Advanced tab.
c. Please delete all the preferred networks then click on OK.
d. Right click on the Wireless icon again and click on View Available Wireless Network.
e. Please select your network and click on Connect. It will ask you for the Network Key. The Network Key is the 10-digit number you have assigned on Key 1 (refer to step 1.h) Please type in the Network Key and then confirm it.
f. Make sure not to enable IEEE and then click on Connect.

For Windows XP Service Pack 2:

a. Please right click on the Wireless icon on the bottom right corner of your computer. Then click on to View Available Wireless Networks.
b. Click on the Change Advanced Settings.
c. Click on the Wireless Networks tab remove all the preferred networks then click on OK.
d. Right click on the Wireless icon then click on View Available Wireless Network.
e. Select your network and click on Connect.
f. It will then ask you for the Network Key. The Network Key is the 10-digit number you have created on Key 1 (refer to step 1.h). Please type in the Network Key and then confirm it. Click on Connect.

For Windows Vista:

a. Click Start then select Connect To.
b. Connect to a network window will show up.
c. Select your wireless network and click Connect.
d. It will ask you for a network key. Type in the network key and confirm it. Then click on Connect.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! how do i set up a password for my net gear?

http://support.netgear.com/app/answe...0key/related/1

give you some idea on what you expect with graphics.

most your windows are simply able to open up the wireless utility and wizard on win7, XP, Vista, simpl find the your wireless SSID which should be unique to you and provide the encryption.

WEP-hackable
WPA-TKIP-hackable
WPA-AES- not supported in netgear.
WPA2-AES- most safest -best choice if you wifi device can handle it

Since you did not provide the router model, you could have little more issues depending on the wireless adapter you are using with this router then just setup encryption and get al working