Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

sddjd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614v7 needs constant resetting

Back to the original problem, I too have a WGR614. We've eliminated the Intel utility option because as the OP noted ALL devices fail to connect to the router pending a reset.

In my case the router requires a full reset at least four times daily. PC's, ipads, and game consoles all fail to connect once it goes down (this is why I say the Intel utility is not the culprit). This applies to wired and wireless devices alike.

Typically not all these devices are active (very rare), but it seems the router isn't handling the DHCP side well and is losing track. Does anyone know the maximum device count that can hit the router? I've reserved IP's for each device to avoid conflicts, but to no avail. The router simply won't stay live, and the frequency seems to be increasing.

I'm willing to move to a wireless router that's intended to support up to 10 devices, but without a clear cause to the current issue I am not going to just move to another model to recreate the issues.
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

BC1981 is on a distinguished road

sddjd, I feel your pain. I only have 3 devices that I use regularly, and I have tried reserving IPs for them with no luck.

I have noticed some strange behavior, maybe this will mean something to somebody here. Often times after the computers have been inactive, one will be able to reconnect and the other will not. I then take the working computer and log in to the router. I go to "Basic Settings" and then click the "Test" button. The connection is temporarily lost, and when it comes back all the devices are working. In other words, this seems to have the same effect as pressing the reset button on the router.

The failure after inactivity seems to be due to a lack of IP address assignment. So I'm thinking this has something to do with the DHCP functionality of the router, as sddjd said. The "test" command probably is refreshing everything and re-assigning IPs to my devices.

Still debating a new wireless router, and still hesitant because I don't really understand the problem...
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Blanco111 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: WGR614v7 needs constant resetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandf View Post
I also have this problem with the same router. Every two days I unplug the router, plug it back in, and it works for another two days. It still works fine with an ethernet cable, just not wireless. Other laptops also can't connect until the router is rebooted.

Has anyone found an answer for this situatuon?
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BC1981 is on a distinguished road

Sure did find a solution - bought a new router! Now devices can connect & reconnect with the no issue - the one caveat being that my Windows 7 computer takes longer to reconnect post-hibernation (~45sec) than all of my other devices.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM

cceber is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem...atho I never actually reset my router, it just drops and comes back a minute later. The signal strength is low on my laptop and iphone but my netflix connection on my wifi dvd seems to stay connected through a movie.

The problem started after I updated my desktop to Windows 7. I had to disable the wifi completely from this pc to connect the dvd. I've been unable to resolve the laptop and iphone wifi though.

I've upgraded the router's firmware and have set the windows 7 power setting to most performance. I don't want to reinstall the old OS, but I'm afraid Windows 7 is causing this issue!

HELP, I can't find anything specific to this issue.
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

If you flash firmware then you must hard reset the router.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:32 AM

Hspz is on a distinguished road

Has there been any progress in finding a solution to this problem? I'm suffering the same effects as other posters regarding the wireless drop.
A solution I've found is when I access the routers web-page through my Ethernet connection and clik on "wireless settings" it will flash the router and auto-reset the connection without hitting "test" or "apply settings"
If that doesn't work i'll have to hit "apply setttings" for the connection to reconnect over wi-fi.

I've gone so far as to reset the router all the way back to factory settings with no luck.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:00 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspz View Post
Has there been any progress in finding a solution to this problem? I'm suffering the same effects as other posters regarding the wireless drop.
A solution I've found is when I access the routers web-page through my Ethernet connection and clik on "wireless settings" it will flash the router and auto-reset the connection without hitting "test" or "apply settings"
If that doesn't work i'll have to hit "apply setttings" for the connection to reconnect over wi-fi.

I've gone so far as to reset the router all the way back to factory settings with no luck.
reflash the firmware with latest or prior firmware and follow with hard reset.

also use this tool
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

check any channel interference issues could cause some behavior

1,6,11 of three choices you have to best options
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM

FrogTheme is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have the same problem, The router needs reseting to get the wireless to work again.
Have anyone found a solution to the problem?
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM

bigdtd is on a distinguished road

Mine does the same thing. I have replaced the router and gone through all the settings myself and with my service provider. I have multiple laptops, a desktop, ipads,iphones, and a ps3. The netgear router needs to be reset for the first connection of the day and when new devices want to connect during the day. It seems that although there are 50 ip addresses available there is invariably a ip conflict which causes the router to need to be reset prior to connecting. Even if a device is connected all day and you disconnect and reconnect you have to reset the router. This is a pain. I have seen no fixes for it and don't tell me its the devices as they all work elsewhere flawlessly. I am read to ditch the Netgear, if I know it would fix the problem.