Old April 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

MGeorges is on a distinguished road
Default WNR834B - Need Smart Wizard Software

Hello:

I need to install the Smart Wizard software to run my WNR834B wireless N router. This is on a remote computer which cannot be connected to the router with a cable, so the CD that came with the router is not working.

Where can the Smart Wizard software for the WNR834B be downloaded from?

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR834B - Need Smart Wizard Software

The setup CD is simply a utility which aids in the initial setup of the router, it does not need to be used with each PC connecting to the network afterwards, and it does not install any software on the PC. For this initial setup the PC often needs to have a wired connection to the router, because the wireless options in the router are disabled by default.

So if your router is already set up and enabled for wireless you simply need to scan for wireless networks with the wireless PC and connect to yours when you see it, and enter any security key you have set.

See this;

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=3989
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

MGeorges is on a distinguished road

Hey there Mars, and thanks for the speedy reply.

So you are saying just to use the Windows connection tool rather than the Smart Wizard? I have the Smart Wizard on my other machines and really like how it distinguishes the networks.

I will give this a try, but is there a place on the web to download Smart Wizard software if I don't like how this works?
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

you really dont get download for that.. plus.. really don't need it and you will do just fine to accessing the router if you need it

manual has how to log in..
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

When you say you have a smart wizard on other machines, you are probably referring to the configuration utility for the network device on each particular PC, not the router setup wizard which is only run once at initial setup.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

why do send the CD to begin with.. what confusion after all..
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cvtexas is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: WNR834B - Need Smart Wizard Software

I apologize in advance for not understanding the previous comments, but I also need the SOFTWARE PROGRAM you refer to as SMART WIZARD.

I was told to come to the NetGear website and get it (according to the instructions in the box) but it is no where to be found.

When I wrote to tech support, I got a totally ignorant form-letter from some person who obviously did not read anything I asked. (auto-responder in Pakistan?)

All I want to do, is have the shortest, cleanest, install. I was under the impression that this was possible with this unit, and now I find the software program to make this happen, can't be found, and the ones who are 'in the know" don't answer when people ask.

Does this exist, and if so, where can we download it. Saying "it isn't necessary" doesn't really explain anything to us "dummies".

Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:48 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Many people are not aware that the router is a stand alone network device, and the CD that is provided with the router is used by a PC to configure the router, it does not make that PC special and does not install any drivers etc on the PC (none are needed). The setup CD is little more than an automated script. Once the router is set up it operates on its own, there is no special controlling PC, and the PC used for the setup is no more significant to the router than any other PC on the network.

The Smart Wizard is built into the router firmware and can be run when you log into the router typically at http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 (default login ID username Ė admin, password Ė password). The router uses HTML style pages for its configuration so you set it up using a web browser (the preference is Internet Explorer), and you donít need an Internet connection to do this, just an Ethernet connection from the PC to the router.

If you follow the link I gave in the second post above it should help in setting up the router without the need for the setup CD.

My name is Andy.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hudson is on a distinguished road

I need this software too for a re-setup of my router and lost my CD. Why are people so adamant about not helping someone find a place to download it?

Rude if you ask me
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I need this software too for a re-setup of my router and lost my CD. Why are people so adamant about not helping someone find a place to download it?

Rude if you ask me
Are you serious? If there is no download available then what answer do you expect? And canít you accept the fact that the setup CD isnít even necessary since the router can be set up quite easily manually?

My name is Andy.