Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM

donsom is on a distinguished road
Default WN3000RP setup - Created new _EXT but Netgear_EXT still exists

When setting up my WN3000RP I used the wizard to connect to my router and it created a new network access point called (as an example) Access_EXT. I was able to use WPS on it via setting it up with the NetGear connection wizard and it works fine. While setting it up, it asked if i wanted to give the connection a new name, but use the existing specs. That is what I selected which resulted in the "new access point name".

The issue is that the unsecured default NETGEAR_EXT access point remains in the listing without any security at this time.

I have a D-Link 4500 router.

Whats the course of action?
1. Kill the Access_EXT access point and set up the default access point using the wizard?
2. Kill or turn off the default NETGEAR_EXT access point?
3. Will the default access point always remain?
4. Try to run the "button push" WPS connection from the router and set things up from that point?

The thing is that the printer is also using the access point, and since I can't run the wizard on the printer, it ends up leaving it as unsecured.

Any suggestions or experience that anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Don
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Default Re: WN3000RP setup - Created new _EXT but Netgear_EXT still exists

Anybody .... any ideas?
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:17 AM

Default Re: WN3000RP setup - Created new _EXT but Netgear_EXT still exists

OK. From what I have learned so far...

Netgear_ext remains the default connection access point. If you use the wizard and create another access point on the same SSID on the router, then BOTH pointqs will show initially to wireless devices that connect up.

After a bit, ...for me it was accessing my DGL-4500 settings. The default Net gear_ext drops and the remaining new one that was created in the wizard remains with proper security on board. Now, I no longer even see the latter as being an available access point on my laptop or on the other wireless pc in the house.

Problem solved? I guess so, although I am still monitoring the wifi router channel to see about the other access point and if it shows up again.

If so, time tonreset everything and do an actual WPS push from the erouter this time around.