Old June 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

HamAndYam is on a distinguished road
Exclamation WNR2000v2 Issue: Strong Signal-Low Speed! Solution Needed

I have scoured the net, called Netgear (to no avail) and have adjusted many settings (and reverted them back after failing to correct issue) and have yet to find out the reason for a stable strong signal and a low jumpy speed.

Netgear n300 - WNR2000v2

ISP: Comcast
Distance: Approximately 150ft (2 story homes)

I have 2 adapters - One is my internal Intel 1000BGN on my XPS 17, the other was a recently purchased Alfa AWUS036h (B/G). I am barely able to ever connect with my internal one if ever. Alfa outperforms it every time despite having router set to support N speeds. I average about 5.5mb (occasionally 1mb) or 11mbps. Sometimes I get 18-24 Unstable jumping around and occasionally I get 36-48 and a flash of 54 as if to taunt me.

What I've Tried:

-Lowering MTU to 1450, and 1400. (It was @ 1500)

-Changing Encryption from last option (WPA2-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]) to the 2nd to last option (WPA2-PSK [AES]) because I got a notice that i cannot get N speeds with the previous setup. I also went ahead and adjusted the network profile authentication on both the intel and alfa to AES instead of TKIP.

-Using inSSIDer I noticed all my neighbors were either on channel 6 or 11 while I was on 6 with them. I thought for sure this was my issue but after turning off auto and putting it to 1 I have not noticed any improvements after days now.

-Per the advice of a Netgear rep he advice I change my NAT Filtering to Open instead of Secured to "open up the throttle" and this is currently open now after previously being secured and has had no noticeable improvement.

Other Notes:

-Firmware is fully updated according to the auto scan in the Netgear interface.
-Mode is set to Up To 300MBPS (Max)
-UPnP is On.
-Use Router as DHCP Server is On.

I might be forgetting something else but overall this is the majority of my effort. No where else online does anyone really go in depth about this issue of full signal and low speeds. It is discouraging that my internal one with N capabilities is so bad overall @ connecting to networks despite being previously set by default to lowest transmit power (i set it to highest now but still not anything compared to my Alfa).

I don't know if this affects it but for Router MAC Address I am using "Use This MAC Address" Instead of Use Default Address or Use Computer MAC Address.

I will be proactive in finding this solution and respond as fast as I can and would appreciate all who can help me trouble shoot this.

- Cheers
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR2000v2 Issue: Strong Signal-Low Speed! Solution Needed

Just a suggestion.

I read in one of Netgear's articles that your nieghbor's PCs (& other wireless devices) may automatically store your network's SSID and try to log-on multiple times per second. The article went on to say that this could have a very negative effect on your network's performance.

So if you haven't tried it yet, you could change your SSID then disable broadcast of your SSID and see if that helps. Be sure you follow Netgear's procedure for doing so.

I instituted the above as soon as I noticed may antenna LEDs were flashing, and it seems to work for me.

Good luck!
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the tip buddy but I doubttt that people attempting to connect over and over would lower the speed. I mean if I was only bouncing to a low speed occasionally that would make sense but I am struggling between 1-5.5mb and occasionally a stable 11 which is my best expected one.

Something is seriously choking my network speeds but I have no idea what affects speed beside what your ISP can output for you on your package. I mean even then it should show 54 to ALLOW for that much you know? Signal.. if I am correct is just your reception to the router. So distance and the like isn't an issue since signal is strong.

Anybody with knowledge about speed would be greatly appreciated if you can chime in with some nuggets of gold.

By the way, on my Alfa adapter I noticed an option on the main page for Tx Power.. Does anyone know what tx stands for?

It was @ 1% by default and have tried 50% and 100% without much difference. It is currently at 50% still because i've heard that maxing it out can damage the adapter.. anyone know the potential and downfalls for this feature? I don't wanna brick my adapter but I don't want it to operate weak either.. It honestly seemed fine on 1%.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

localh85 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with a n600 wndr3400.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

are you also experiencing limited access and random disconnections? Lately I can't stay on longer than an hour or two without getting kicked off. Some days though I can be on for a long while with no issues.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

localh85 is on a distinguished road

I am not getting disconnects, but I am experiencing the rest.

very erratic download speeds, usually way lower than what i should be getting
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM
NETGEAR Addict

1. Tx is normally an abbreviation for TRANSFER. You can try googling wikipedia for any other meanings. Other than this, I don't claim to know anything about the Alpha adapter.

2. On the subject of turning-off SSID broadcast, read the second-to-last paragraph of the following article and see if you still don't think it would help:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1027

I am only saying that it may be something worth trying rather than dismissing it off-hand.
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:35 AM
NETGEAR Addict

To: localh85,

I too have the N600 WNDR3400 which I have been using for the last 6 months. On any given day, I can pick-up between 13 to 21 other wireless network signals in my neighborhood. Thankfully, I have never encountered any problems that I fault the router for.

However, I have taken the time to download and read the manual at least twice! I have also taken the time to go to the links on Netgear's website and read as many articles as I thought could help me to better understand this whole subject of networking, and wireless in particular. I figure the way things are, it's either learn or get left behind - I choose the former!
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks Joe_, I find it hard to believe this would work more specifically because the network is secured so keeping a record of it wouldn't make sense for neighbors unless it was automatic and even then are u even able to Attempt an overhead wasting connection to a secured network without a password?

Anyway anything is worth trying when it comes to electronics and I would be stupid to dismiss it off hand.

For example, in my Dell Wireless WLAN Configuration Utility if I go to options and uncheck the option to automatically connect to non-preferred networks everything goes haywire and I can't connect to anything all of a sudden.

Back to this issue, I am not using a Default SSID in this situation. I will however attempt to disable the broadcasting of it since it could still be treated as a "default" one after sometime. How much time should I test this for? i.e. should the effect be noticeable immediately or are we talking days, weeks, and months so other locals remove the network from their lists?
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:34 AM
NETGEAR Addict

1. Remember to use a hard-wired (ethernet) connection when carrying out this procedure or you will be disconnected. After, you can remove the ethernet cable and should connect wirelessly.

2. Change your SSID. Even a change of one character will do.

3. Ensure that you re-configure all your wireless devices to automatically connect to your new SSID.

4. Disable SSID broadcast and hit Apply.

There is no testing period. The change is immediate and if this was causing your problem, you should be able to see an immediate improvement.

In my case, I instituted the above when I noticed my antenna's LEDs were flashing even though I have WPA2 and none of my wireless devices were trying to connect. So it had to be an external attempt to connect.

If you read the relevant part of the article carefully, you will see that it has nothing to do with if you have WPA enabled. The way I understood it, nearby wireless devices can automatically store your network's SSID and automatically try to connect. It has nothing to do with you having a password with WPA encryption and it being futile attempts by outside persons to connect. Furthermore, the article went on to say that this "attempting to connect several times a second" can have a negative impact on your network's performance. Who am I to say otherwise? I, for one, am inclined to take their word for it!

So I'm just saying it may help you. It's up to you whether you want to try it.