Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Netgearuser38 is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Cable

Not sure if this is in the right place...

Currently connected to the router using my computer which is connected by a cable.

My Laptop, my Mom's laptop, and my Dad's laptop repeatedly get disconnected from this router on wifi.

We just bought the router several days ago.

Whenever I'm on my laptop, connected to the wireless network, about 10 minutes into the connection it'll either say "Local only" (No internet) or just completely drop me from the connection (I have to reconnect to the network).

Then there's the problem where I press "Connect" to the wireless network, I stand right next to the router, and it completely refuses to connect.
Wait a few more minutes, reconnect and I'm back on the internet.

10 minutes later; dropped again.

Any idea?
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Ca

If you have a DSL modem has it been set to Bridged Mode? Many DSL modems are also routers.

Is the router well positioned away from other electrical items (a minimum of 1 metre)?

Do you have any devices in the house like video senders, wireless phones (2.4GHz), baby monitors etc. operating on the 2.4GHz band which may interfere with the router signal?

You could also download insider and scan for other networks, try to pick a channel that is not heavily occupied and select from channels 1, 6, or 11 (since all other channels overlap with these).

My name is Andy.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM

Default Re: WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
If you have a DSL modem has it been set to Bridged Mode? Many DSL modems are also routers.

Is the router well positioned away from other electrical items (a minimum of 1 metre)?

Do you have any devices in the house like video senders, wireless phones (2.4GHz), baby monitors etc. operating on the 2.4GHz band which may interfere with the router signal?

You could also download insider and scan for other networks, try to pick a channel that is not heavily occupied and select from channels 1, 6, or 11 (since all other channels overlap with these).

It's not the DSL.
Yes the router's well positioned away from other electric items.
no I don't have any of those devices; this started with this new router, the other worked perfectly fine until it shut down on its own; wouldn't start.

I tried 1, 6, 11, and several other channels already.
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:58 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgearuser38 View Post
no I don't have any of those devices
Not even a microwave oven?
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road

Try wireless without any security see if you still drop. Be sure whatever security you are using is compatible for all your wifi cards. Set max to 54mb first see if that holds.
Old July 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road

delete all wifi connections which are stored in your PC
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM

I changed the Mode in the Wireless Settings in the router page from 300Mbps to 145Mbps.

Trying this out, hopefully it works.

Thanks for the tips, and yes I have a microwave.
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

(1) The subject heading for this thread says that you are experiencing connection drops that are BOTH "wireless and cable". I take it to mean that you get disconnected sometimes EVEN THOUGH you are connected to the router via an ethernet cable? If so, I would check to ensure that my cables are properly inserted/connected. I would also try changing the ethernet cables.

(2) For the wireless part, I would make an immediate check around the house anytime I experience a "drop" to see if any other wireless devices were just used that may have caused it. Microwaves are known to cause disturbances in the 2.4GHz band especially if the seal/gasket is not working so good. If this is the cause then you may need to have to have an appliance technician see what can be done about it. I would also try to locate my network devices well away from the microwave.

(3) Have you scanned with inSSIDer? You didn't specifically say that you did. It is really important to choose a channel that's the least "populated" by other strong networks that may be near you. Also, too much "noise" from other networks, etc. could cause you to lose wireless connectivity.

(4) Since the WNDR3400 is a simultaneous dual band router, you could try using the 5GHz band which is less prone to interference but has less range. For this though, your wireless devices and PCs must either have a dual band card or you can use a dual band receiver that plugs into a USB port.

These are just some suggestions that I hope may help.
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM

ABitTooSpicy is on a distinguished road

Netgearuser34, did you ever get this resolved?

I just bought the netgear n600 wndr3400 to replace an old linksys wrt54g. The netgear router worked perfect for 1 day and the 2nd day my laptops kept constantly disconnecting.

I am using the 2.4Ghz frequency and have the router set to 300mbps. 1 of my laptops can handle 802.11n while the other cannot.

I assume two things could be causig this:
1) I had the channel set to auto, maybe the automatic channel switching is causing the issue
2) The two laptops are connecting at different standards, maybe there is some incompatibility issue?

I have now set the channel to 1 instead of auto and the connection appears to be stable. But I want to make sure this issue doesnt creap back up.

Please comment on your experience. If you ended up just returning the router I may be tempted to do the same...
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Addict

ABItTooSpicy,

A more sure way of choosing a channel least "populated" by strong neighboring networks is to scan with inSSIDer.

2.4GHz has greater range (distance) but is more prone to noise and disturbances that could lead to disconnection. 5GHz has less range but less prone to disturbances, and your devices must also be able to support it.

Even though you have settings at 300Mps and 802.11n, the PC that is not capable of "n" will drag down your speed. I would try 145Mps which is purported to be more "neighbor-friendly".

If you switched to channel 1 and it's stable so far, I would say it's a sign that you were getting too much disturbances before. Changing a router wouldn't make disturbance issues go away.

I have the WNDR3400 and, thankfully, with no problems for last 6 months. I'm not endorsing the router by any means, but just saying people are quick to blame a router when their problems may be caused any number of issues, eg. placement, orientation, environment, etc. It is difficult to imagine what may be causing a problem without actually being there.