Old July 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sashaburg is on a distinguished road
Default can not connect laptop to router wireless

I have a Netgear DNG1000 wireless router, ethernet connected to both a Windows and Mac desktop computer. It was set up with the Windows system. While the mac has an ethernet cable going directly to the router, it does not automatically connect with the router, but instead goes wireless to a neighbor's system. This is problem one, how can I make the mac see the ethernet connection to my own router?

The second problem is that since I changed the password a few weeks ago on the router, my laptops can no longer access our wireless, the general error message has to do with not accepting the new password. How can I make the laptop work with the new password?

Is there someone there who can answer these questions in full sentences? With enough detail that a non-IT tech head can understand? Please?
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Glitched is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can not connect laptop to router wireless

Quote:
While the mac has an ethernet cable going directly to the router, it does not automatically connect with the router, but instead goes wireless to a neighbor's system. This is problem one, how can I make the mac see the ethernet connection to my own router?
This sounds like you have the wireless set as an automatic location. I'm not MAC expert so I really can't say(I doubt anyone here is actually). Your best bet is to ask this question on the Macintosh forums here

[QUOTE]The second problem is that since I changed the password a few weeks ago on the router, my laptops can no longer access our wireless, the general error message has to do with not accepting the new password. How can I make the laptop work with the new password?[QUOTE]

This issue is due to Windows storing a "wireless profile" which is suppose to help you. The problem is, these profiles are not dynamic and do not change as you make changes to your wireless password.

The big question is, is it Windows that is storing the profile? Or is it a 3rd party software from NETGEAR, dell, dlink, ect. With out knowing your operating system on your Windows machine I won't be able to tell you how to delete the profile and recreated it with the new password.

So with out knowing lets take a shot in the dark:

Windows XP:
1.Go to start
2.control panel
3.network connections
4.right click your wireless network
5.Click on wireless networks tab at the top
6.You should see a check box that says "use windows to configure my wireless network settings".
7. If this is checked below you'll see a list of "preferred networks". Select your wireless network and delete it.

If the check box that says "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" is grayed out that means a 3rd party software is managing your wireless networks.

Windows 7: Well go here
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

already started thread here

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=60077

----follow the forum rules--------

http://forum1.netgear.com/announcement.php?f=56
portion forum rules

Quote:
In addition the following must also be adhered in all discussion threads:

No Cross Posting - Please choose the most relevant forum, topic, or thread to post your question, and post it once. Do not post the same question in multiple forums or threads.

No Excessive or Unnecessary Posting - Posting excessively to raise your post count or credibility will not be tolerated.

No Bumping - Please do not post a "bump" message to raise your question to the top of the list.

No Typing in ALL CAPS - Typing in all caps is considered by most to be yelling, and makes posts difficult to read. Typing in all caps is considered to be irritating and rude in nearly all forums.

No Questioning Moderators in Public - Moderators on the site work hard to make everyone's experience better. If you would like an explanation as to why a post was removed or a warning was given, please use the feedback page or send the moderator a private message.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Tried your instructions for Windows 7, still have an error connecting.

Apple forum says they don't know anything about Netgear, I should get my help here.

I'm going nowhere fast with this problem.

Would it make a difference if I change that password back to the original one?
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jmizoguchi posted something about not being able to post here. I am posting here because I spent the weekend trying to get information from him and got NOWHERE.

It also appears that I was in error by posting on the weekend where I did, so I wanted a new thread to be just my issues, with my Netgear DNG1000 router. I think the previous post was using a different router. My apologies for that error. Now let's try to solve MY problems, jmizoguchi!
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM

would probably does make any difference but for Mac is quite new, I would use any of WPA+WPA2 ,WPA, WP2 in the router settings.

type of computer does matter but not overly concerns as it is only the combination to where mixed computer can use same encryption.

wireless mode is import based on the all type of wireless adapter is involved.
starting at G only (54Mbps) is good start with NO encryption make sure connects then one by one you change. it.

since here is one one way to setup and it was that way, router will not have different setting to offer
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Glitched is on a distinguished road

If the Windows 7 instructions didn't work then that means that a 3rd party application is controlling your wireless networks, unfortunately there isn't much we can do to advise on that.

Of course the MAC forums are going to point blame at NETGEAR, but in the end the NETGEAR appliance doesn't determine what network you connect first, its configuration settings on the Macintosh. On their forums ask how you can make the wired ethernet connection connect before the wireless connection...or ask how you can make the wireless a manual not automatic.

If you change the password back, it should resolve your problem
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM

There isn't that special on Mac.

If ethernet is plugin, that should make connection right away.

Either airport ( wireless) or using Ethernet cable, system pref> network. Both will show the connectivity on left. Also on right it will show ip that released by the router using Ethernet cable so should be easily identified

Even Airport choosing in network section on left and choose advance buttons, you can manually choose you should not need to do that. Choose the SSID on task bar wifi signal close right top right and supply encryption.
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:15 PM

Wildwoman is on a distinguished road

Just bought a N300 Wireless router WNR2000 a few days ago. I've never had issues with my laptop connecting to any router, until now. I can connect it if I select OPEN in my wifi settings on the router itself, so I know its not the laptop. I can get a browser to load when I have the wireless network set to OPEN, but as soon as I close it, which I prefer to keep it secure, it automatically disconnects me and says limit or no connection and while I had it opened I even selected the laptop in the list and put PERMIT for the laptop. I've even shut the firewall off on the laptop to see if it will connect. I've gone to ipconfig/ all and the IP address is not coming up. Even tried pinging 4.2.2.1. I desperately need to connect my laptop. I've checked the certificates and at times I even get cannot authenticate certificate and still won't connect and yes I checked the certificate, so it's all good. I use Windows XP and it is an older laptop, but never had these issues ever. What can I do here?? I need help, been fiddling with this for 4 days now!!!
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:48 AM

Log in the router via Ethernet , setup wireless parameter, secure with encryption and connect wirelessly after that