Old April 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Justinj23 is on a distinguished road
Angry Having problems with a CG814WG v2!!

Problems that the isp is seemingly too stupid to help me with. I can brouse the net,play world of warcraft with no problems, and download very fast. However when i try to play counter-strike something messes up. I can connect to steam no problem and have gone through their troubleshooting,port fowarding, connectivity troubleshooting through steam comes back negative for any connectivity issues. Tried getting a new video card (not the problem). Tried connecting via usb cable (not the problem). Ordered a gig of ram (not the problem). Formatted computer (still having the same problem). This did not happen untill I had this gateway installed by Comcast. What happens after Connect steam is I open Counter-Strike and search for servers, before I would normally get anywhere between 150-350 servers to list, now it takes forever to get two and sometimes the names of the servers are scrambled or like enrypted in a way. If i try to connect to one of the servers i get 3 bars into the loading screen and then the connection times out after sitting at establishing network connection for about a min. Any suggestions because Comcast just throws their hands in the air when they see that I can connect to the internet. Steam says its firmware but i have yet to find any firmware for this model on your site or from my isp (Comcast). If I can't get this resolved then i'll have to revert back to the isp cable modem i had and buy my own wireless-g router wich would suck because with that I'm not guaraunteed to have 0 problems .
HELP!!
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

aechmea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Having problems with a CG814WG v2!!

Seems like a TCP problem.

I would look to see if Port Forwarding or something similar needs to be enabled.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

where you able to setup portforwarding with CG814WG?
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

totwvs is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue as the previous poster. ANY game runs fine, but when it comes to a steam based game, it doesn't work. I'm 100% positive my old router allowed me to play Counter-Strike before I got a netgear CG814WG.

I've done pretty much the same deal as him, except I didn't go out and buy anything...
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:44 AM

this is good for simple internt user.. get cable modem and router seperately and you should be okay.. I would do some homework on your game needs and equipment compatiblity
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

atlballa218 is on a distinguished road

ya i have the EXACTLY same problem...
i had a lynksys one from comcast and it worked fine until my wireless crapped out and they said it was "fried"... well i went to fl and came back with this netgear thingy well works fine for surfing web but NO steam games work and i cant play unreal or bf2 but i can play guild wars.... its weird. and i dont think its something to do with the ports ive forwarded ports and ran test and no change. i put my computer in the DMZ and it worked once and then just didnt work ne more its rlly weird and i miss my old router. i try to talk to comcast and they say its not their problem. if ne body knows a fix PLEASEEEEEE contact me please
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

just get regular cabl modem and router of your choice.. end of that issue..

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dking is on a distinguished road

ok so ive been having the somewhat of the same problems as the kid that posted this.

im running straight from this modem to my computer.
ive opened all the ports and done all that great stuff. yet sometimes i still get this problem. you said to get a seperate modem and router. what would be the point of that?
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking View Post
you said to get a seperate modem and router. what would be the point of that?
You will find most people with this unit has issue on this thread. You can get better router using regular cable modem and Router of your choice.

I seen people done this way has good luck with it.. just a 2cents.. it's your decision on how you want to setup it up.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dking is on a distinguished road

i bought a Motorola cable modem and tried that, i ran the install cd and everything yet i was unable to get any kind of internet access. i dont what to do, anymore. i even bought a linksy router and thought that would help but it didnt. i still had the same problem as before. can you give me like a personal customized solution?