Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unable to access wifi connection on PSP with router 'WNR1000v2'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
The ‘Good Neighbour’ rule is a little misleading since it suggests that your router may cause problems for your neighbouring networks, and some people might not care and want to disable it. The fact is that the rule relates to contention, and that can affect every node in the area, so not only do your neighbours potentially suffer, but so do you.
Thanks for expanding my knowledge Andy.

So some people not caring but at the same time not knowing that they may be causing issues for themselves as well. Well if their own wifi suffers too, then they deserve that if they want to play selfish - wouldn't you say? It's unfortunate tho that they may be causing problems for neighbors too. I guess we have a bit too much of that sort of behavior in this world - not only as it pertains to wireless networking - so sad.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

People understandably want the best from their routers, especially the expensive dual band 300Mbps or better units. But what is not made clear to people is that the standards that apply (that allow the WiFi compliant logos to be put on the box) impose limitations. So people are very disappointed to find that their wireless connection runs at half the maximum link rate, or even less than that, and even more disappointed if their older router used to run faster because it didn’t obey the new standards requirement. I can understand that disappointment, it’s like you have been conned.

But, the requirement was introduced for a reason, and with a CSMA/CA network in any situation where your network (and that includes all clients and not just the router) can cause problems for other networks, then it is a mutual problem, it hits back at you in much the same way. So if you have a router that you can force to 40MHz bandwidth (two channels used) and it causes contention issues for other networks, then that contention applies to your network also. You may well see a link rate of 300Mbps, but throughput will take a hit, the connection could be erratic, and you may well be worse off than if you run at 20MHz bandwidth single channel with low contention.

The people who influence or set these requirements, the WiFi alliance, include companies like Cisco, Intel, Microsoft (and about 30 others) do not set these requirements for a laugh, they are the result of detailed analysis and test, and they realise that if routers continue to operate on the 2.4GHz band using two channels then contention will become disastrous since there are effectively only three non-overlapping channels on that band. Put a few of these 40MHz dual channel networks in an area together and everyone suffers, but they might all see that link rate of 300Mbps and be fooled into thinking that all is well.

Of course there is also the issue of third party firmware, where the producer is not required to meet WiFi requirements, and so they can release firmware that allows the ‘Good Neighbour’ feature to be disabled. Their firmware is of course seen to be better than the manufacturers in allowing the end user to make the choice, but guess what that choice will invariably be?

Unfortunately practically all manufacturers want to promote their routers as the fastest available, and the issues that will reduce that headline link rate figure are consigned to the small print or an online FAQ, you might see a small ‘*’ next to the large ‘300Mbps’ on the box relating to the small print which will say ‘Actual throughput will vary depending on …..’.

My name is Andy.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Mars Mug,

Hmm... I see.

"...it’s like you have been conned."

Yes. I agree that manufacturers share a large part of the blame either thru omission, or consigning important info to small print, or just not being clear and upfront with significant info that can be detrimental to their sales.

People, in general, must also be to blame if they don't make it their business to research/learn some networking basics (at the very least). I think this is fair because just about everyone wants to network wirelessy but don't want to know about CSMA/CA or why the Wifi Alliance have certain rules.

"...third party firmware"

I take it to mean you are referring to Tomato USB, DD/WRT and such like?

"... 40MHz bandwidth (two channels used)"

This topic I would like to educate myself further on. Any suggestions on where I can start?

As you said before, the subject of Networking can be challenging (at times), depending on how deep one wants to dig. At times it's like a whole lot of Greek and I need to go over things several times, but I'm not daunted.

Cheers!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Some of these links might be a bit hard reading, but run through them a few times and you should pick up on the important points;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/...-neighbor.html

http://www.wi-fi.org/news_articles.p...ws&news_id=892

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/why-24-...-for-wi-fi/578

http://www.wi-fi.org/our_members.php?sort=a

My name is Andy.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Thanks for the links Andy! Guess I have some "homework" now.
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rjuyal is on a distinguished road

where this discussion gone! i was asking "how to connect my psp to my netgear n 150 router"!!!

It seems they all are trying to prove how much they know about wifi

my problem is still not resolved, plz help.
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:48 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Sorry!

However, if you check post #9 here, I did answer 2 questions you had:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
I can't vouch for the procedures described in the threads you found, however, "neighbor friendly" mode is usually setting your speed to 145 or 150Mps as opposed to using 300Mps. Sometimes the higher speed (ie. 300Mps) can cause problems with neighboring networks.

You should be able to locate WPS (which is the short for Wifi Protected Setup) if you scroll down the panel on the left. As jmizoguchi indicated, this feature is to enable connecting devices that are WPS-enabled to quickly connect without having to go through entering the SSID and password. I agree with jmizoguchi when he says that he can't see how disabling WPS could have anything to do with your problem. But hey, you are searching for a solution so no harm in giving it a shot.

Good luck!
There were no subsequent post by you indicating whether the explanations were understandable.

For that matter, there were no subsequent post indicating whether you tried the solutions in the 2 threads that you found???
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM

tmccoy1 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a psp and tried to access the internet, but when I go in to the network settings in the psp and scan it tells me that my wifi is not supported. How do I fix that?