Old July 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

loveland is on a distinguished road
Default Can't access WPN824N Admin UI after reset

I hope this is the proper place for this thread, if not I apologize. I am trying to set-up a WPN824N as an wireless access point (i.e. to be connected to my NetgearFVS318NA Router). I tried following the instructions in the Netgear document, "Using WPN824, WGR614, or WGT624 Routers as an Access Point". In the instructions, it states to "disable the DHCP Server" and also change the IP address. When I do that, I no longer have access to the admin UI.

I then tried to "reset" the router using each of the procedures below (note: the router (port 1) is connected directly to a laptop PC.)

1. I tried resetting the router by pressing the "reset" button for 15+ seconds, then I recycled power on the Router and allowed it to run all self-tests before trying to access the UI. I tried this multiple times with no luck. I even delete all browsing history, cookies, temp files, etc. from IE9 before trying to access the UI.
2. After the reset procedure didn't work, I tried the "Unbrick Procedure" that is written in the Forum.
3. After unbricking didn't work, I tried using the Netgear "Router Firmware Recover Utility" on the Netgear CD that was packaged with the Router. At the end of the Utility a message reads:

"Router Firmware Recovery Timeout. The router is not responding. This might be a working router that does not need to be recovered. Please check the router's Power LED to see if it is blinking. Othyerwise, it will not accept the recovery request"

4. When I shell out to a DOS prompt and enter "ping 192.168.1.1" (assuming the router did reset to factory settings), I get a "request timed out" response.

I am out of ideas on how to access the UI. What can I try next in order to access the admin UI in my WPN824N Router?
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Can't access WPN824N Admin UI after reset

One other thing that may or may not be pertinent. After I try to access the admin UI in the router (that is connected directly to my Laptop PC), if I then connect to my 8-port wired router and try to access the Internet, I get the following error message (after running the Troubleshooter), "DHCP is not enabled for "Local Area" Connection". I then choose "Fit it" and the problem resolves itself.

How can the DHCP in my laptop be disabled by simply trying to connect to my router?
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have PC connected to WPN's ethernet while it is NOT hooked up to FVS then some thing went wrong.

if you are not abel to get IP from WPN after reset then try static IP on PC and once try again.

if still fails, seems router went south
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Correct, the WPN is not connected to the FVS. It is connected to my laptop directly and no where else. What Static IP address do you recommend I set my Laptop to? If the static IP doesn't work, then I will send my router in on RMA for repair.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:06 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Static ip is same LAN subnet range as WPN uses

See bottom of the router ,192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1