Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ryster is on a distinguished road
Default IPv6 Support

My new ISP has full support for IPv6 and has allocated me a massive block of IPv6 addresses.

I've heard others say the DGND3700 supports IPv6, but I can find no mention of it in the control panel.

Is it supported? And if so, do I need to do anything to enable it?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IPv6 Support

Have you been able to connect your new router to their server/s yet?
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I'm in the process of migrating to them now... still connected to my old ISP for now. I only ask because I can find no mention of IPv6 anywhere in the router's web panel. Wouldn't there we somewhere I could allocate an IPv6 address to the router itself for example?
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
I'm in the process of migrating to them now... still connected to my old ISP for now. I only ask because I can find no mention of IPv6 anywhere in the router's web panel. Wouldn't there we somewhere I could allocate an IPv6 address to the router itself for example?
I have been unable to find anything myself either.

This evening I have been playing around connecting mine via the Ethernet WAN port, rather than ADSL. In this case it again didn't understandably pick up on IPv6 since I'm connecting it to another router.

I am wondering now if it will automatically change to IPv6 when connected to a suitable connection.

Unfortunately Sky is still using IPv4 so i personally can't help any further.
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs down Re: IPv6 Support

Well I've completed my migration to AAISP (Andrew & Arnold - great ISP by the way, top reviews, excellent service so far!) and there is still no mention whatsoever of IPv6 in the DGND3700's web panel. This is most annoying. I would have though a brand new router only a few months old would have this support.

I've got IPv6 running on my local LAN now using my Windows 2008 R2 server as an IPv6 DHCP server, dishing out addresses in my allocated block to any device that supports it, but no way for those addresses to communicate with the outside world until Netgear gets it's act together.

Come on Netgear, get a grip... haven't you heard?.. there are no more IPv4 addresses left to give out, people need to have the option of trying out IPv6 NOW!
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Just a quick update that I've now logged an official technical support request with Netgear about their complete lack of IPv6 support, my case ref is 16220997. I'll reply here when I get a response.
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Unhappy Re: IPv6 Support

Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress. Please keep us updated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
Come on Netgear, get a grip... haven't you heard?.. there are no more IPv4 addresses left to give out, people need to have the option of trying out IPv6 NOW!
Actually several places are already completely converted to IPv6. Apparently China ran their Olympics systems completely on IPv6. That was 3 years ago.

I would hope that the techs at Netgear have already written a suitable firmware for you to use. I am kind of shocked that it isn't already working.

The US DOD went completely over to IPv6 a couple of years back too, so I guess Netgear do need to get all their firmwares updated ASAP!
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs down Re: IPv6 Support

Well the first reply is in, and it isn't good... the "tech" who responded to me felt the need to shove a specifications booklet in my face at the same time as flat out stating the DGND3700 does not support the IPv6 protocol. See for yourself...
Quote:
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Denston and I will be your Support Engineer.

I understand that you want to know if your router is IPV6 supported. I will be working to assist you in resolving the issue you described. Since we are doing this online it may require a few email exchanges before we can resolve the issue. I will do my best to help resolve your case in the least possible time.

Regarding your concern we are sorry to inform you that this router does not support IPV6 protocol, please click on the link given below to know more about the product.

http://www.netgear.com/images/DGND37...1118-17292.pdf

Please do visit http://support.netgear.com for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

We hope that the steps provided above will help to resolve the problem/case. Please feel free to contact us again if you require further assistance.

A system generated e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address to inform you that we have responded to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to the e-mail sent to your e-mail address. Instead, if you want to reply to the message above and have additional query, please click "no" when the system prompts you "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?"

When you select YES, your case will be closed and a separate e-mail containing a survey link will be sent to you to measure your customer support experience.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Regards,
Denston
NETGEAR, Inc.
http://my.netgear.com
Well I've now replied to this expressing my dissatisfaction with the fact that they have had the short-sightedness to release a brand new model of router (a premium model at that) without IPv6 support AFTER the world had already run out of IPv4 addresses. I have asked them to escalate the call to a superior.

Let's see what happens... I really can't believe Netgear would be so short-sighted as to continue to completely ignore IPv6 in the home/soho market. The IPv4 problem cannot be ignored. Sooner or later there are going to be web servers out there that cannot obtain IPv4 addresses because they are all used, and therefore only operate on IPv6. Quite frankly the world just isn't ready, and companies like Netgear are perpetuating that failure to be ready. You should be ashamed of yourself Netgear.

End of rant, lol
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
NETGEAR Expert

theTechman05 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: IPv6 Support

Why don't you just set up your router to use the server with the addresses as the dhcp and local dns.

If your big enough to have ipv6 addresses to the outside world , shouldn't you have a more commercial model of a router also?

At least in the sense of translation to your current router it should translate to ipv4 with toredo to outside internet.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTechman05 View Post
If your big enough to have ipv6 addresses to the outside world , shouldn't you have a more commercial model of a router also?
The OP is with Andrew & Arnold who are completely changed over to IPv6.

Their products are available for both Home users and Business users.

The Netgear DGND3700 is sold as suitable for the Home Market and the SOHO Market.

SOHO = Small Office, Home Office.

I believe he should expect this router to be compatible with IPv6.

The news that the DGND3700 does NOT support IPv6 is very sad. I too am appalled that it fails on these grounds.

He has an Windows server that is completely set up to use IPv6. Many college & university students will also be using Windows Servers and I would expect them to also want to start working in native IPv6 since they will be using it in business very soon.

If this router is not updated soon to support IPv6 then this is a major reason for us all to dump the router as unsuitable for purpose.