Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM

ZaphodQB is on a distinguished road
Default Lap top won't reconnect to router after reboot

I have a Gateway Latitude laptop with a Netgear G54 USB wireless adapter.
My Router is the Netgear N150 Wireless router hard wired to a windows ZP home edition Desktop that is up to date with respect to service packs etc.

I have set up the router with WAP on, and to only allow specific MAC addresses to log on.

When ever my laptop is rebooted it can not connect to the router.
I have to go in to the router configuration pages on the hard wired desk top machine and click on "Wireless Settings".

Then I go into "Set Up Access List", The lap top and its Mac address are still listed in the "permitted list".
I don't have to change anything, all I have to do is click on the "Apply" button and wait for the page to reload and when I walk back out to the laptop, has connected.

Netgear support has told me many times it's a problem with the laptop, but how can it be a laptop problem when the fix is done at the Router as outlined above?

Any ideas how to fix this so I can turn my laptop off and on without have to go through the hoops above to get it connected?
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lap top won't reconnect to router after reboot

Have you tried turning off Access list?
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

The "Access Control List" feature is supposed to be a security feature that would only allow any device listed to connect to your network.

I've considered using it, but thank goodness I haven't! I've read in these forums that it could cause problems (I feel it's just buggy). As searay advised - turn off ACL. Everything should work fine afterwards. You would be much better off without it.

For security I do the following:

1 - Have encryption set at WPA2-PSK[AES],

2 - Turned off SSID broadcast.

I have had no problems with security so far.

If you wish, you can take things a step further if you feel it's necessary - you could switch off your Wifi (if there is an independent switch), or switch of your router whenever you aren't using it.

Hope this helps.
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM

ZaphodQB is on a distinguished road

I find it frustrating that all my other wireless devices seem to work fine. I have another desktop, a Kindle, an iPhone that do not have this problem.
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

I take it that you're saying that all your other wireless devices (desktop, kindle, Iphone) have no problem reconnecting to your network? It's just the Gateway laptop that has this problem?

If so, have you check the profile in your laptop's network settings to ensure that it is set to "automatically connect"?
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then I go into "Set Up Access List", The lap top and its Mac address are still listed in the "permitted list".
I don't have to change anything, all I have to do is click on the "Apply" button and wait for the page to reload and when I walk back out to the laptop, has connected.
suggest not to use access list. some wifi adapter will not cope using this feature.

set to use WPA2 if you can. WPA2 itself is strong enough from getting hack
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodQB View Post
I find it frustrating that all my other wireless devices seem to work fine. I have another desktop, a Kindle, an iPhone that do not have this problem.
Can we assume that all your other wireless devices that work fine are connecting via the same router?

Do you think perhaps that the router has a problem that affects only the Gateway laptop - or - is it the other way around - the Gateway laptop has a problem?

Can I tell you about my problem?

ALL of my wireless devices (7 laptops & 3 ipods) stop being able to access the internet at the same time - they do not lose their wireless connection, but the problem can be fixed by "repairing" the wireless connection - do you think ALL my wireless devices have a problem (because that's where I apply the fix) or do you think it is my wireless router (because that is the one thing that is common).

Yes - the fact that you can fix the problem at the router suggests the problem is with the router, but if all the other devices work well, without the need to fix, that points to the one affected device as having the problem.

Next - just disable the MAC control access - it provides no security whatsoever - it can be bypassed in less time that it takes you to read my post.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

I found this while searching, It may help, not sure if this is your adapter. Either way look up your model if this is not it and read the docs.

Windows XP Occasional Connection Problems
Windows XP users who apply Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485 from the Windows XP Update Service might not be able to connect to the Internet, might have dropped wireless Chapter 4: T roubleshooting | 35 N150 Wireless Micro USB Adapter WNA1000M connections, or both when using the Micro USB Adapter. You can delete this Hotfix from the Add or Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel. To delete Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485:

Select Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Select Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485, and then click Remove.

You might receive an error message that states that some program on the computer might not work correctly if the update is removed.

You can ignore this error message, and then click Yes to remove the update.

3. Restart your computer, and rerun the Smart Display Setup Wizard.