Old July 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM

vstender is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3400 Dual Band

spent an hour looking at posts but nothing comes close to my stupid question.
Here it goes:
Just bought WNDR3400 router. During setup I was given the opportunity to set two SSID names. Should I have? I have 3 droid phones a TV and Blue ray player two computers, an Ipad and an Xbox all vying for bandwidth. And I have a two story house. So should I have chosen 2 SSIDs and split them up between the devices?
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3400 Dual Band

Unit is dual band and 2.4ghz and 5ghz

First is not what wifi devices support 2.4ghz and both. That determines you option for wifi devices to use

Been 2.4ghz is better range than 5ghz is pretty much main difference, you should find out soon how signal will work at your location

SSID only make you to know which band it is for dual band capable wifi devices
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

As June says, you can set up 2 networks - 1 on each band. If you do so it's advisable to set 2 different SSIDs (network names) so that you can easily distinguish which network you are connecting to at anytime.

The info about difference in range of the 2 bands has already been well covered by June. So 'nuff said there.

I think the more important point to note is that not all devices support both bands. You will have to check your own devices to see which ones are capable of connecting to which band.

In addition to the above, you may wish to have all of your devices (eg. PCs, printer, etc.) able to communicate with each other. Just remember that they must be on the same network (viz. band & SSID) in order to do so. Also, a client device that is dual-band capable can only connect to one network at a time.

Hope this clears up some things for you.
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM

vstender is on a distinguished road

Okay so as I unserstand it. devices must accept one or the other widths. If I keep the same name for both networks do the devices (if compatible with both) just choose the least "busy" one? the whole purpose of buying the dual was so my son can play xbox live upstairs without lag or being dropped from server due to poor signal. Now I am wondering if I just bought something that only fixed the store's botttom line and not my problem. I am assuming to find if my devices are compatible to look under system tools or similar files.
Thanks for your time. Do try to respond as if I have no clue what-so-ever again thanks
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM
NETGEAR Addict

1 - I wouldn't advise using the same SSID name for both networks/bands.

2 - How your devices choose to connect would depend on things like:
- whether they have a dual band wifi adapter/card,
- the priority/order which you have assigned for them to connect,
- the signal strenght at that client device end.

3 - You should be able to determine the band each device uses by checking the specs in the documentation that came with it. If it's difficult to lay your hands on those, you would most likely be able to google them. Normally, if it says:
- IEEE 802.11b/g or IEEE 802.11b/g/n it can only use 2.4 GHz,
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n it can either use 2.4 or 5 GHz (ie. it's dual-band).

4 - If you give each network that you set up on each band a different SSID, then as June suggested, you will be able to see or connect to both/either SSID if a particular device is dual-band. If you can only see or connect to the SSID for the 2.4 GHz band, then it's not dual-band. This is probably the simplest way to figure out your client devices wireless capabilities.

5 - If the XBox is on a different floor from the router and the Wifi signal has to penetrate between floors and walls, you will more than likely receive a stronger signal from the 2.4 GHz band. That's if the XBox is dual-band or you, say, purchase/install a dual-band adapter on it.

6 - As new info from you indicates that your home is 2-storeyed (?), I would suggest that the router be placed in as central a location as possible. The router should also be positioned on it's side (ie. horizontally). This should allow for better transmission of signal on a vertical plane (ie. between floors in a multi-storeyed house). Of course, all other guidelines concerning router placement should be observed. If you want to find out more about this, Netgear has some KB articles on this.

There are other considerations of course, such as if there are many nearby networks around you. However, for now you should just set up and try the router I think.
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:20 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
devices must accept one or the other widths. If I keep the same name for both networks do the devices (if compatible with both) just choose the least "busy" one?
reasons for most will recommend to use different SSID for dual band is for end user to identify easier. Dual band wifi devices connects either when end user choose to use either of SSID and while some may not know which band you choose to use. Because 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz has such range issues etc, it will be wiser to use different ssid. But if you did not care which band you would connect then even same ssid would work.

Quote:
the whole purpose of buying the dual was so my son can play xbox live upstairs without lag or being dropped from server due to poor signal.
most xbox without purchasing USB wireless adapter, it will only operates in 2.4Ghz any way. also if you are truly want NO lag then wireless would not be your choice to begin with.. Either band will have lag been wireless
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM

DCraft is on a distinguished road

After scouring the threads and Google, I think I understand better this issue but would like clarification.

By not using the same SSID name, I can control better which band the clients connect to. The reasons for this are not just "because I want to" though.

The 2.4ghz band signal is stronger then the 5ghz band, so if they are named the same SSID, by default, the clients may always connects to the 2.4ghz, even if they are 5ghz capable?

If an "N" client connects and a "G" client connects to the 2.4ghz band, the 2.4ghz band is limited to the "G" clients speed? So to get around this I would want all the "N" clients to connect 5ghz if possible?

In most clients, I can select "Preferred" network, so I could set the SSID of the 5ghz as first and the 2.4ghz as second, for optimum performance? What would this do to roaming capability using a SQL app if I am walking through a large building with mutiple access points? Would it keep disconnecting and reconnecting depending on the signal strength between the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz?

Thanks.
D.
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraft View Post
By not using the same SSID name, I can control better which band the clients connect to.
Not using the same SSID makes it easier for you to easily identify which network you are dealing with at any time - plain and simple. There is nothing to prevent you or anyone from using the same SSID, but doing so will not have any effect on your devices ablilty to switch from one to the other.

Quote:
The 2.4ghz band signal is stronger then the 5ghz band...
Actually it may be better to describe the 2.4GHz frequency as having greater range and ability to penetrate obstructions, but as more susceptible to interference.

Quote:
...so if they are named the same SSID, by default, the clients may always connects to the 2.4ghz, even if they are 5ghz capable?
How you set up and prioritize your choice of networks in each device is what will govern the order they will connect to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Quote:
If an "N" client connects and a "G" client connects to the 2.4ghz band, the 2.4ghz band is limited to the "G" clients speed?
Yes, but only during the times the G device is using the band to transmit or receive.

Quote:
So to get around this I would want all the "N" clients to connect 5ghz if possible?
Some people have chosen to go this route to try to maintain their N devices' speeds.

Quote:
In most clients, I can select "Preferred" network, so I could set the SSID of the 5ghz as first and the 2.4ghz as second, for optimum performance?
Whatever works best for you. Just keep in mind the pros and cons of each band.

Quote:
What would this do to roaming capability using a SQL app if I am walking through a large building with mutiple access points? Would it keep disconnecting and reconnecting depending on the signal strength between the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz?
I personally have not tried this, but common sense would tell me that we are essentially talking about separate networks, therefore I would not expect a seamless transition between one and the other. For that matter, even if two networks were on the same band, I wouldnt expect a seamless transition. I guess there is nothing like actually testing it.

See this discussion as it relates to Access Points:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=69614
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM

DCraft is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply Joe

In my testbed, I have named both 2.4ghz and 5ghz as Test1 in their SSID. When I browse the available wireless networks with my dual-band device, I only see one Test1 listed. So I can not set the priority as you suggest in the 3rd paragraph. Where as if I have two different SSID names, Test1 for the 2.4ghz and Test2 for the 5ghz, then I do see both of them and can choose my priority in the dual-band device.

And if we consider the 2 ranges are different networks. Using the same SSID name on both ranges, at power on of my dual-band device, if it sees the 2.4ghz first and connects, will it roam or switch to the 5ghz?
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
So I can not set the priority as you suggest in the 3rd paragraph. Where as if I have two different SSID names, Test1 for the 2.4ghz and Test2 for the 5ghz, then I do see both of them and can choose my priority in the dual-band device.
I'm not surprised.

Quote:
And if we consider the 2 ranges are different networks. Using the same SSID name on both ranges, at power on of my dual-band device, if it sees the 2.4ghz first and connects, will it roam or switch to the 5ghz?
I already gave you my opinion and added...
Quote:
I guess there is nothing like actually testing it.