Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Rhumbullion is on a distinguished road
Default Can't Log In to Router with default name/password After Resetting to Factory Defaults

Just as the title says, I have reset my router to the factory defaults and cannot log in to routerlogin.net with the name/password of admin/password.

The authentication box says: The server routerlogin.net:80 requires a username and password. The server says: NETGEAR_WPN824v3.

I have tried admin/password like it says on the back of the router. I had reset it because I know that when I was still with my ex, he set the name and password to something different, and he never told me what it was. I want to make the name/password something I know, and make sure that I have a secure wireless connection in case of piggy-backers.

My ISP is Comcast, I am running off of Windows XP Pro pack 3. The router is a Netgear RangeMax WPN824v3.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't Log In to Router with default name/password After Resetting to Factory Defa

Did you use a wired connection from your PC to the router when you did the reset?

Are you certain that the reset was successful?

One way to tell if the reset was successful is when you check the list of networks around you. The former network name shouldn't appear anymore. Instead, you should see a network with the factory default name (usually something like netgear) showing up in the list.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Rhumbullion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't Log In to Router with default name/password After Resetting to Factory Defa

Yes. Was I not supposed to? The only connection I am seeing is the Local Area Connection 2. This computer does not have a wireless receiver bit in it, so it won't pick up any other connections around me.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Yes. It is recommended you use a hard wired connection when making certain changes.

Since you don't have a wireless card in your PC, then you can't ascertain whether the reset was successful by looking at the wireless networks list. You can perhaps use a friend's laptop or smartphone to check the list as this seems to be the simplest way.

Now, if you don't ever have use for the wireless function in the router, you can simply turn that function off. That way, no one can piggy back and free-load off your internet. Off the top of my head, I can't say whether the WPN824v3 has a physical button to turn off the wifi like my own WNDR3400. If it has no button, then you really have to get into the router interface to turn the wireless radio off.

I would suggest you try a reset again. This time though, read the PDF manuals for your router on Netgear's site and be sure to follow the instructions closely. I am suggesting this because simply pressing the reset button momentarily may not work.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Seems you are able to get the prompt from the router so desktop is getting ip from the router.

See router reset on my sig below. Usually simple 10sec should take care it or try other options.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com