Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

lonnierenda is on a distinguished road
Default wndr3400 wireless access list and guest network

I apologize if this is an easy answer, but I looked through the documentation, did a google search and a support search. I have set up my router to use the wireless access list. I have connected my devices through the MAC address. My question is this:

Does using the wireless network list affect the guest network? Meaning, if I use the guest network and the wireless network list, can guests access the guest network and even if they are not on the wireless access list.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: wndr3400 wireless access list and guest network

sorry wrong forum.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road

That's a good question. Try deleting your laptop from list and let us know what you find.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have guests now and they indicated they could not connect to the guest network. Once I disabled the wireless network list, they were able to connect.

It seems counterintuitive that the wireless access list would apply to the guest network. For that matter, the guest network should have its own settings at all levels. I should be able to restrict sites, time it can be accessed etc. The guest network should be totally separate from your main network.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wndr 3400 wireless access list and guest network

I agree that there is no clear statement anywhere as to whether using the MAC ACL limits who can connect to the guest network. Personally, I don't use either. However, logically, I would say that ACL should not affect guest network, otherwise that would seem foolish.

Since you seem to want to use both, it should be a simple matter to test.

I wanted to implement ACL at one time as it seems to offer another layer of security, but haven't done so for 2 reasons:

- More knowledgeable persons than myself have indicated that it can be bypassed fairly easily. How? I don't know nor have I pursued any enquiry into how it may be done.

- Reading and following certain threads on these forums have indicated that using ACL can lead to issues.

With the above info, it up to you whether you still want to use and test these features.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road

For less than $100 and sold as home router I think you're expecting a Corvette while paying for a Big Wheels. Sorry not trying to upset you, But really. Tiger direct has some commercial units for $500 and I would expect those to have what you're looking for.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:24 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Two threads merged / moved.

My name is Andy.
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Searay, I agree I am asking a lot of a router that is less than $100. On the other hand, it really should just be a couple of lines of code to correct the situation also and add those features. After all, the feature are there, they just affect the main and guest network at the same time.

Joe_, curious as to why the ACL would not add another layer of security and how it would be easily bypassed any more than any network can be hacked.

Also, I have only been using the ACL for two days, but I have yet to have a problem.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnierenda View Post
Joe_, curious as to why the ACL would not add another layer of security and how it would be easily bypassed any more than any network can be hacked.

Also, I have only been using the ACL for two days, but I have yet to have a problem.
I can't recall the specific thread, but it was quite recent (maybe 2 weeks). I do know that the person advising that was fordem. fordem also went on to say that if you are using WPA2-PSK[AES] encryption, it is perhaps the best protection you can enable on the router.

I'm sure you can find the thread easily by going through recent threads. For that matter, why not ask fordem directly?
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

It is basically because the MAC addresses in use by wireless clients are revealed very early on in the process of hacking the wireless encryption key, so if the encryption doesn’t stop the hacker from gaining access to the network then a MAC list will not stop them, they simply spoof the MAC address of one of the inactive client devices they have seen connecting to the network, changing the MAC address of a wireless client device takes seconds.

My name is Andy.