Old August 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM
NETGEAR User

peto158 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 GHZ band

Hello,

I purchased this wifi router (wndr 4000) yesterday. I have enabled both 2,4 & 5 Ghz bands, but how I know if I'm also using 5 Ghz band. Just 2,4 Ghz band blinks. Do I have to choose which band I wan to connect to ?

Thanks for your respond.
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 GHZ band

The 5ghz radio has to be turned on and setup.
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:03 AM
NETGEAR User

I know, I logged in router's menu setup and enabled both 2,4 and 5 GHZ bands. But when I am connected to the internet through wifi just 2,4 ghz green band light is blinking, which means activity, but blue 5 ghz light is not blinking (it's solid) there is no sign of activity. So don't know how to connect through 5 ghz band. Is there any possibility to choose to connect through 5 ghz band or how I can do that.

Thanks.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:37 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Do you have a 5GHz wireless card in a client computer?
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM
NETGEAR User

I am unaware what kind of wifi card I have. I was looking for this information in windows, but without any success, don't know if I can find band information there. I've got acer 3820TG supporting a/b/g/n. So is it necessary to have 5 ghz card ? Can 5 ghz card join 2,4 ghz network ? I don't think that any laptops have 5 ghz wifi cards ... I have read somewhere 5 ghz band is appropriate for streaming and wanted to use it.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

marauder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peto158 View Post
I am unaware what kind of wifi card I have. I was looking for this information in windows, but without any success, don't know if I can find band information there. I've got acer 3820TG supporting a/b/g/n. So is it necessary to have 5 ghz card ? Can 5 ghz card join 2,4 ghz network ? I don't think that any laptops have 5 ghz wifi cards ... I have read somewhere 5 ghz band is appropriate for streaming and wanted to use it.
the easiest way is to assign a seperate SSID (network name) for each band, for example for the 2.4 ghz band you can call it just "netgear" or any word of your choosing and for the 5ghz band call it "netgear 5G" or similar. if you have the capability to use 5ghz you will see 2 different networks, simply choose the name you gave the 5ghz band.

if you only see the 1 network you named for the 2.4ghz band then you do not have a 5gz wireless adapter, or it's not turned on etc.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM
NETGEAR User

I have different names for each of band, but unfortunately i can't see my 5 ghz network. Oh, if I knew I wasn't able to receive 5 ghz I would never buy it.

Thanks for advice anyway.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I've got acer 3820TG supporting a/b/g/n...
Are you sure? Because if your computer's wireless adapter says IEEE802.11a/b/g/n then it is supposed to be dual band and should be able to connect to either 2.4 or 5 GHz.
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
NETGEAR User

No I was wrong, I've got each of letters except "a". Doesn't mind, I am gonna buy samsung 3D led tv soon, hope it will support 5 ghz wifi band ... i have heard it's much better for hd video streaming than 2,4 ghz band.
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am gonna buy samsung 3D led tv soon, hope it will support 5 ghz wifi band ... i have heard it's much better for hd video streaming than 2,4 ghz band.
Don't hope and guess - check the specs of the TV before you buy!

Another thing, although 5GHz may handle HD video streaming better, it has less range and ability to penetrate walls, etc. than 2.4GHz. Just as long as you are aware of that - fine. Don't be surprised if you don't get good performance if the new TV isn't in the same room as the router.