Old August 13th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Nysander is on a distinguished road
Question DGND3700 Wireless On/Off button, does it work?

Hi all,

I purchased this device, because my previous one was quite old, and the Wireless On/Off button feature.

I have tried pressing this button but it does not seem to have any effect. The only way to turn the wireless radio's on/off seems to be from the Netgear Smart Wizard access.

I prefer to only turn on the wireless features when I need them, but spinning up a PC to turn them on is a drag. Until I can make this bit work I will be running wireless via my Time Capsule, which I can unplug from the wall without disturbing internet access on my wired network.

Otherwise this product is great, my ADSL connection seems faster and more responsive.

Any thoughts?
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DGND3700 Wireless On/Off button, does it work?

If it is that you were just pressing momentarily and releasing it, try holding the button in for a longer period of time, say ~10 seconds.

If this still doesn't work, I would suggest you open a case at my.netgear.com .
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Turn Off Wireless Connectivity
You can completely turn off the wireless connectivity of the wireless modem router by pressing the Wireless On/Off button on its front panel  . For example, if you use your notebook computer to wirelessly connect to your wireless modem router and you take a business trip, you can turn off the wireless portion of the modem router while you are traveling. Other members of your household who use computers connected to the wireless modem router through Ethernet cables can still use the wireless modem router.
should simple as on/off

contact support for an issues or I would get exchange if you purchase locally.
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Campotech is on a distinguished road

The wireless on/off button on the front panel needs to be held for 5 seconds in order switch on/off the wireless functionality.

After releasing the button it takes another 5-10 seconds for the wireless to turn on/off.
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Nysander is on a distinguished road

That is confirmed. It does require a 5+ second press to activate, and then takes a few more for the action to complete (on or off).

I was not able to find an entry in the manual regards the length of time you have to hold the button. Being a relative novice, I would have thought that pushing the button briefly would have been sufficient.

Anyway, thanks for the help all.
Old August 15th, 2011, 05:31 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysander View Post
That is confirmed. It does require a 5+ second press to activate, and then takes a few more for the action to complete (on or off).

I was not able to find an entry in the manual regards the length of time you have to hold the button. Being a relative novice, I would have thought that pushing the button briefly would have been sufficient.
Don't blame yourself.

This may have been omitted in error in the Manual. That is where the fault really lies.
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM

ferman is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, I am owner of this great router from a few days.
Since I do not have at the moment equipment working at 5GHz I turned off the 5GHz frequencie from the sw interface.
But with my surprise, when I use the wifi on/off button, the router forgets this setting and when the radio is turned on with the button
the router turn on both frequencies.
It is a fw problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferman View Post
Hello everyone, I am owner of this great router from a few days.
Since I do not have at the moment equipment working at 5GHz I turned off the 5GHz frequencie from the sw interface.
But with my surprise, when I use the wifi on/off button, the router forgets this setting and when the radio is turned on with the button
the router turn on both frequencies.
It is a fw problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
I think this already posted and that behavior do exist
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

This is a similar 'bug' I found on the DGN2000 some time back.

I set up two WiFi SSIDs, but only enabled one of them. Pressing the WiFi on/off button would turn it off, but then pressing again would turn them both on.

What I would suggest is for you to disable the 5GHz SSID broadcast abilities. This might make it invisible and undetected by most people.

I would also suggest that using the 'Wireless Card Access List' is a good idea to prevent unwanted people from getting on to your router's WiFi.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM

ferman is on a distinguished road

thanks for the tips. However, I would to turn off the frequency because peoples are very close to the router. Since none of my equipment use this frequence, I prefer to keep always turned off 5GHz freq, and I prefer to turn off all wireless radio when there are no need for wireless access in home.
So I will be very happy if in future this setting will be restored at the wifi power on.