Old August 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM

NoGoodnik is on a distinguished road
Default Control Wireless Access

Hi, I'm a new owner of a WNDR3700v2 Netgear router. I have an ethernet connection to my Window2s XP/SP3 workstation. My teenagers connect wirelessly on Windows7 laptops. I have set up a wireless network, and my kids can access the internet just fine.

I want to deny them access to the internet at will ... in other words, not just at certain times of day. How can I do this, besides by turning off the wireless button on the router? If one of my kids is abusing his privelege, how can I deny him access right now, and still have him able to access the network for schoolwork the next day? Hope this is clear, thanks for all suggestions.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Control Wireless Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGoodnik View Post
How can I do this, besides by turning off the wireless button on the router?
If you turn off the wireless via the button, then you not only cut them off from using the internet but also from the network.

Quote:
If one of my kids is abusing his privelege, how can I deny him access right now, and still have him able to access the network for schoolwork the next day?
By this statement, you want them to still be able to connect to the network (to perhaps print schoolwork on a shared network printer), yet not have internet access.

Quote:
I want to deny them access to the internet at will ... in other words, not just at certain times of day.
This statement only confirms the above.

I've been giving this some thought for some time. Ideally, you should be set up with a sole Administrator Account on your kids' computers. The kids should have ordinary User Accounts without administrative privileges. This would mean actually having to go to your kids' PC and disabling all internet sites (with, say, using wildcard characters) whenever you wish to withdraw or restore internet access.

For reasons pointed out above, using the wireless button doesn't exactly suit your purpose.

There does not appear to have any function in the router interface that would fit the bill, except LPC (Live Parental Controls). Even with LPC you may find that you may have to do some manouvering to achieve what you want each time.

The only other "fix" I can think of is, seeing that you use a wired connection for your own PC, then disconnect the router from the modem and plug your computer directly to the modem.

Two other things you should consider:

1. If you aren't around all the time to ensure physical control over the router and modem, or they aren't locked away, your kids could just as easily re-wire things.

2. If there are any other unsecured networks in the area, kicking them off your network isn't going to prevent them logging into another network.

In conclusion, the suggestion to only allow them User Accounts on their PCs is the only real control that will fit your bill.
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

there is nothing will make at will unless you create some rules to it. Turning off wireless on your router is one way but also remember if you surrounding wireless is no encrypted, just as easy to hop on other wireless for free to begin with

in order to secure it , remove wireless capability on the pc is the first tdefense if you are not going use the by time schedule. Netgear has LPC. netgear.com/lpc to read more for specific model. This become quite a good tool s for most.

so IN RED is the something you need to check before any. I have clients who wanted to do the same but surrounding has non encrypted wireless so they hop on their networks

wired is the only way to control and you will still need some kinda of manual way to stop the activity.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ryster is on a distinguished road

You could always use the Block Sites feature for this. Add a keyword of . (the symbol dot or period if you're American ), then set the keyword blocking to always. Add the IP address of your own computer as a trusted IP so you yourself are not blocked by the rule.

You'll then find that no sites will be accessible from your kid's PC as all web addresses have dots in the address, even IP address websites. You can even go one step further and switch it to schedule mode, then you can use the schedule option on the left to only allow internet access at certain times of the day.

Also one good aspect of this is that if you've got emailing configured on the router, it'll email you if your kids even try to access any websites while the block is turned on.

One last thing, you got the wrong forum mate. This is the DGND3700 forum. The WNDR3700 forum for future reference is here >> http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105