Old August 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BobHelms is on a distinguished road
Default 5GHz Channel, Which One Should I Use?

I notice that the N600 has no "AUTO" setting for which channel is used on the 5GHz network definition. How do you know if that channel is (or isn't) already being used by your next door dorm neighbor? I see there are 8 channels. What / who came up with that number of channels. My network sharing center found 12 available networks last Saturday night. I amazed my wireless 2.4 and 5GHz clients run as well as they do in that crowd.
Bob Helms
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5GHz Channel, Which One Should I Use?

inssider can see both channels

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BobHelms is on a distinguished road

Thanks June, I'll check inssider out.
Bob Helms
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHelms View Post
My network sharing center found 12 available networks last Saturday night. I amazed my wireless 2.4 and 5GHz clients run as well as they do in that crowd.
You are only seeing the router/access point beacons and not the client traffic. You should only suffer from contention if many clients want to transfer lots of data at the same time. Itís quite possible to suffer bad contention with just one other network nearby, if that network comprises say a router plus 10 clients, all trying to stream video. InSSIDer is a good tool, but does not provide the full picture of what is going on. I see about 25 networks near me, but I donít suffer from very bad wireless throughput.

My name is Andy.
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:49 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHelms View Post
I see there are 8 channels. What / who came up with that number of channels.
I believe it would be the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers).
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:43 AM

inssider will determine the signal strength of each channel and on 2.4ghz, you would only want to use change 1,6,11 and find the best channel accordingly with rest of the channel that sits.

depeding on your density of wifi around you, 2.4Ghz could be negative impact for you. 5ghz are usually the solution because of more channel capabilities and 2.4ghz is well saturated in our lifestyles with many devices such as baby monitor , security camera. Plenty of wireless products came out in the past are all 2.4Ghz therefore newest frequency that FCC released was 5Ghz for public use.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:18 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

While 1,6 & 11 do not overlap setting your router manually to use 1 of these 3 is a mistake in my opinion. Reason being the router is the best judge of what is interferring with it and will move as needed when left in auto. When left in manual it cannot switch if and when it has too.

Yes 5ghz is better to use but many find out that the signal strenght is a problem as it drops off twice as fast 2.4ghz. And the connection rate drops as the signal drops. -50 -60 -70 are the signal levels I get from my 5ghz network in my home. -35 -40 -50 are the 2.4ghz signals from same devices. the difference between 2 & 5 ghz is close to 20db less. The -50 5g & -35 2.4g are from a WNDR4000 15 feet away from where I am sitting.

Inssider is great tool to use for trouble shooting and just because you can see other networks it does not mean they are in anyway causing a problem. Unless you use manual and the router cannot move as needed. The odds of a another 5ghz ssid causing you a problem are very slim.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:23 AM

depending on situation. people has complain while in auto and while in manual. there is not right or wrong. also in dual bonded channel sometime auto works better but agin there is one way to be sure 100%

2.4Ghz in generally are way saturated so you can only monitor and adjust accordingly etc.