Old April 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

CWBillow is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Channels

If I am currently showing as being connect on channel "3".

These are, aren't they, channels that can be changed to, say, either "6" or "11", which tend to be the strongest in our area.

If this is the case, how would I do this?

Regards,
Chuck Billow
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Channels

Turbo (108) and Draft-N uses Chan6 as default. as long as you have unique SSID, encryption, you should be fine...
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

In an infrastructure mode wireless network you set the channel at the router or access point, the clients will switch to match, because they follow the SSID of the router or access point. In an adhoc wireless network you set the channel at each client.

Assuming you are connecting to your own wireless router or access point, there will be no "strongest" channel, all will have equal strength - you select the channel based on which is least used in a given area, so as to reduce interference.
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

>>
infrastructure mode wireless network
<<

I'm too new at this to be sure of...

It's a "at-home" network... I still am not sure if it is "ad hoc" or access point...

I do know that when I was just letting Windows (XP) run the show, different channels would have varying results when other wireless networks in the area "impinged" on the signal.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Also, starting from an "on-state" wireless, I am able to select the network, log in etc.

Isn't there a way to have it automatically login in etc.?

Regards,
Chuck Billow
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM

YOU use "infrastructure mode wireless network"

you wil see the network broadcast (SSID) and you lock in to your router based on yoru encyrption and done.

there is no ther thing you should worried about.

"fordem" already explain the ad-hoc and Infrast....

just don't worry about ad-hoc....
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
YOU use "infrastructure mode wireless network"

just don't worry about ad-hoc....
I'm trying not to worry about any of it...

All I want to do is turn on Puter, and have her immediately kick onto the wireless connection... but that ain't happenin'.

When I was having trouble at one point with my (Microsoft ) MSN-700 router and 730 wireless, support told me that the channels sometimes would need to be changed in order to "avoid traffic".

I was able to do that either at the base station, or from the node.

Now, not only can I not figure out how to fairly easily switch channels, but the flippin' wireless modem doesn't seem to lo right in on startup without fussing with it, and the connection seems to fade in and out, AND I can't determine a fairly painless way to switch channels. My wireless transfer rate deviates between 8 and 54, and I'm the only one on the network.

So i'm not looking for perfection, just dependability.

Regards,
Chuck Billow
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM

simply login to your router and change the channel.
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Chuck

An infrastructure wireless network is one that is built around a wireless router or access point, an adhoc wireless network is one that is built from PCs only with no router or access point - adhoc is also known as "peer to peer" which also defines another type of network which is why I avoid using the term.

With an infrastructure mode wireless network, the channel is set at the router or access point, and assuming that you have set a unique SSID (network name) the wireless clients associate with the SSID and will switch to whatever channel the router or access point has been set for.

Support may or may not have been right when they told you that you will need to change channels to avoid traffic - I've never done it and I've been running a wireless network since 2002 - but - I don't live in the same area that you do, you may have more wireless networks nearby.

I know that some access points can be set to select the "least congested" channel and from time to time will change channels - this is not a setting that I would normally use - you will never be certain if an intermittent problem is not the result of a channel change.

Your wireless network not connecting at startup can be the result of many things - including the utility you use to configure the wireless client - many of the manufacturer specific utilities run as an application that starts after the user logs in, if this is what is happening, then your only choice is to use Windows to manage the card (assuming that you're using XP)

You don't specify what model of wireless router or access point you have - that would be a good place to start, please also let us know what wireless client adapters you are using
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:26 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
I know that some access points can be set to select the "least congested" channel and from time to time will change channels - this is not a setting that I would normally use - you will never be certain if an intermittent problem is not the result of a channel change.
My Buffalo router does this, and with my laptop it can be annoying when it comes out of Hibernate mode if the router has switched from channel 11 to channel 1 because of a nearby network operating. The laptop client seems determined to find the router at channel 11 and will sit and sulk when it does not see it (but presumably knows there is a network on channel 11). So to get it going again I have to re-scan and re-connect that way, a minor problem for me, but still a little irritating.

Given that I run the laptop from the mains, I now also use cable to connect the laptop and have disabled wireless completely in the router.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

who_dat is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Windows XP-64bit drivers??

Customer service told me that none of their products have drivers for XP 64-bit machines, BUT they have them for vista 64-bit. Why is this since XP is still more popular and widely used than vista???

Can anyone recommend a brand where I can get a wireless card to work with my xp 64-bit system unless a NETGEAR admin can prove me wrong and direct me to one that works?