Old September 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jaikanth_n is on a distinguished road
Angry Unable to connect to wireless printer Brother HL-2270DW

Hi ,

I bought a refurbished WNDR3700 few days and I'm not able to set this up to pair with wireless printer Brother HL-2270DW. I spent 3 nights & so frustrated right now.
I was able to set it up & print successfully when I keep the router and printer next to each other in the basement. But when I move the router to the living room, the router does not find the printer anymore. I tried to pair it (add WPS client) with push button as well as PIN number via the router link http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm. Nothing works. I was able to do it so easily when they were next to each other. I was using the default firmware V1.0.4.49NA. After moving the router to the living room it doesn't work anymore. I even tried flashing it with the firmware V1.0.4.75NA. It's of no use.
The "attached devices" sometimes displays just the mac address for the printer without IP address and sometimes doesn't list the mac address either.

Why does this happen ? What am I doing wrong by just keeping the router & printer apart ?

Also, I have a desktop in the basement which is wireless using Airlink101 Wireless 11N Mini USB Adapter AWLL6075. This behaved the same exact way. Worked when router was next to it. When the router is moved, the internet is cutoff to the desktop. I even changed the firewall to allow the IP address of the printer. This is how I paired successfully before in the basement.
But I have a laptop & it works fine from basement/upstairs or any part of the house without any issues.

The same exact set up worked flawlessly with my 2 year old TrendNet TEW-631BRP Wireless N Router even when the router & printer were in different floors. Even the Airlink101 adapter for Desktop worked without any issues.

What am I missing ? Can someone kindly help me out here ?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Unable to connect to wireless printer Brother HL-2270DW

Just a note:-
My wireless setting has SSID broadcast enabled for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz with unique SSID names, both having WPA2-PSK [AES] with the same Passphrase. Internet IP address and DNS address are got dynamically. DHCP is on. Again, these same settings worked fine when router & printer were next to each other.
I appreciate your help on this.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:24 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Now since you didn't specify which band any of your client devices, including the Trendnet router was using, I'm going to assume that everything is on the 2.4GHz band only.

It is possible the the wireless radio on the WNDR3700 is defective.

Load inSSIDer on your laptop and check the signal strenght at various locations. Allow a few minutes at each location to ensure that the signal reception has time to stabilize. Check and compare the signals of both routers. Ensure you are at the exact same location and facing the same direction in making the comparisons.

The results above should tell you something. If the WNDR3700's signal is weak - return it.
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Desertcat is on a distinguished road

I have that same printer on my WNDR3700 V1 and it runs without issue for me. It is a 2.4 GHz wireless G device (to clear that up for those wondering). I'm using it with WPA2-PSK (AES) but chose to manually enter my password (personal preference). Right now it is only about 12 ft from the router, but I've operated it previously at about 75 feet & two rooms away.

I'd go with some tests of antenna strength as previously suggested. Just wanted to confirm that there isn't some inherent incompatibility here. My router firmware is 1.0.7.98NA.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

@Desercat,
that's good to know. But this is a dual band router, not just 2.4GHz. you mean you are using it as 2.4Ghz only ? You can refer to my attachment to see my inSSIDer #s. Any suggestions to improve those weird numbers ? Also, Can you share your RSSI # from inSSIDer when using this particular WNDR3700 router at 2.4GHz and 5GHz modes ? Thanks in advance.

@Joe_
Sorry I took so long to upload the inSSIDer statistics.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did that exercise.

I set up both the routers the same exact way & noted down the #s from inSSIDer. Please see the attachment. I have also listed the speed & signal stregnths. My old TRENDnet TEW-631BRP which is only 2.4GHz band , proved far better than the new Netgear WNDR3700. In fact better than Netgear at 5GHz.

you may be right; the wireless radio may ne defective. Now if it is defective, shouldn't it affect both 2.4GHz & 5GHz ? 5GHz looked far better compared to 2.4GHz although it couldn't come close to that of TRENTnet.

Just curious, what RSSI # do you guys get from inSSIDer when using this particular WNDR3700 router at 2.4GHz and 5GHz modes ?

Now should I return this unit & test my luck with a replacement (same model) ? Or should I just return it & be happy with TRNEDnet ?
My issue with trendnet is that I keep loosing wireless internet few times a day for a couple of seconds. It connects automatically though. It's a bit of inconvenience & annoyance. Also, Netgear is supposed to be dual band, fast & feature-rich

Joe, can you please look at the attachment & give me your thoughts on above doubts?

Thanks in advance.
Jai

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Based on this alone...
Quote:
...5GHz looked far better compared to 2.4GHz...
...I would say that something is definitely wrong with the 2.4GHz signal.

Looking at the signal of the 2 bands in the spreadsheet you posted only confirms this. IMHO the signal strenght of the 3700's 2.4GHz should be similar to the Trendnet's. In fact the Trendnet is capped at a max speed of 130Mbps and if your 3700's 2.4GHz was working properly it should give you better throughput rates due to it's higher link rate of 300Mbps.

I'm not a technician, so I can't say if both radios share the same "guts" or what may be wrong. It could be something simple as a shield getting loose and blocking the signal - who knows?

I would say also that the signal strenght is simply too weak to maintain a good connection with the printer (or any device) once a reasonable amount of distance and/or obstructions are involved.

You should return the 3700 poste haste! It's defective!

I wouldn't get another 3700 if I were you, unless it is a v1. Just browse some of the threads here for an idea of the frustration v2 owners are facing. (Note: v1 may be a bit hard to come by).

As regards the Trendnet, I imagine you are checking the Trendnet forums for an answer too?
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks Joe_.

Thats exactly what is happening. Signal strenght is too weak to maintain a good connection with the printer & the Airlink wireless adapter in the basement.

I gave up on TRENDnet issues long back. Before opening up this chapter again I'll give another try with a replacement. In fact this Netgear is V1, but refurbished. I'll return this & get another V1 again & try my luck.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I learnt few things about Routers doing this exercise. I'll post my experience with a different unit, if I manage to get one.

Thanks again
Jai
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry should have been more clear. The Brother printer is a 2.4 GHz wireless G device, not the router
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Will try to post more of the inssider stuff for you another time. Have to run atm.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

@Desertcat,
Sure. Thank you.