Old September 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

seniorjudge is on a distinguished road
Default WNR1000v2 software disappearance

I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

I have a WNR1000v2. I unchecked the wireless enable on the software which immediately disappeared.

I want to turn the wireless back on but am at a loss how to do this since the software controlling the router has disappeared. All I get is a message that the web server couldn't be reached.

What other info do you need to answer this question?

Thanks.
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bastialex0825 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR1000v2 software disappearance

Use a computer that is directly connected to the router to access configuration page of router.

type routerlogin.com on browser and go to wirelesss settings to enable wireless again.
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks. I appreciate your time.

That's the first thing I tried and it didn't work.

Any other suggestions?
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:17 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorjudge View Post
...this since the software controlling the router has disappeared.
I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

What do each of the LEDs on the front of the router show? (e.g. Are they lighted/not lighted, color, blinking/steady, etc.)

If you have already tried a hard wired connection to log in to routerlogin.net and that did not work, then the simplest would be for you to use a paper clip and reset to factory default then re-enter your settings. Make sure to hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds before releasing, then allow 3-5 mins. for complete reboot.
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
...the simplest would be for you to use a paper clip....

Y'all rock. Thank you very much.

I used my high-tech paper clip (Staples #1 Size Paper Clips, Nonskid) and reset the router.

I was using a software control for the router. I opened the software for the NETGEAR Router and unclicked the wireless enabled selection.

The software interface disappeared and all I get now is: Failure To Connect To Web Server.

The wireless, however, is working again but I can't access the router through my computer as I did before.
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
I was using a software control for the router.
By this I suppose you mean the GUI in the firmware that came with your router?

Quote:
...but I can't access the router through my computer as I did before.
Since you have now reset your router to factory defaults, you must now re-enter all your settings, including passphrase, passwords, SSID (network name), encryption type, mode, etc., etc.

It may be best for you to browse to support.netgear.com and get the Setup Manual and follow the procedure to set up your router again as if from scratch.

This is not intended to be a comprehensive list of procedures but here are some general guidelines:

1) Use a wired connection from your PC to a LAN port of the router.

2) Open IE and browse to routerlogin.net.

3) When prompted on the login page, enter for username admin and for password password. This will take you the router's GUI.

4) From the left pane, select the Wizard by clicking on it - it will guide you through the steps to set up your network afresh.

5) In particular, ensure you re-enter exactly the same SSID, encryption and passphrase you were using previously, otherwise the saved profiles in your PC and other devices will not work.

6) If by chance you don't remember the details for step 5 and you enter new info then when you switch to wireless, you would have to manually choose to connect to your new SSID and enter the new passphrase. You must also select the option to automatically connect in Network and Sharing Center for future auto-connections. It would also be advisable to delete any old profiles.

Post back to let us know if you were sucessful or are encountering difficulties.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
...By this I suppose you mean the GUI in the firmware that came with your router?....
Yes. It's disappeared.

The wireless router is, as I said, working fine.

What I really would like to have back is the GUI; I don't understand how that could disappear because I changed one setting.

Thank you for your time.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:46 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Open IE and browse to routerlogin.net.

And when I do that, I get the failure message as I indicated above.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Without the benefit of knowing exactly what make and model of modem you have, whether your internet service is cable or DSL, whether your router/network was properly set up initially, I have to make certain assumptions.

The default IP address of your router is normally 192.168.1.1 - try entering that into IE and see if it takes you to the GUI.

If the above doesn't work, it is possible that the router's IP was automatically changed to avoid conflict with maybe the modem. Again here, I'm assuming you are running Windows 7 on your PC. To find out what the current IP is:

- on your PC, click on Start (the globe with the Windows icon to the bottom left of your taskbar),

- in Search Bar type command prompt and press Enter,

- in the window that opens, type ipconfig/all and press Enter,

- in the info that is displayed look for Default Gateway (this is your router's IP address) and write it down,

- exit by clicking the "X",

- enter the default gateway IP address into IE and press enter. This should take you to the router's GUI.

Notes

i) Make sure you use IE and not another browser otherwise you may encounter difficulties.

ii) Proceed to the set up instructions given in my previous post.

iii) Follow my suggestion and get both the Setup and User Manual and ensure your network is properly configured and secure.

Certain of your statements make me think you are using the factory defaults, including the name netgear for network. Is this so? If so, your network is unsecured and potentially open to others who may, at worse, use it for illegal activities. You are the one that will be held accountable for any such activities. You would be well advised to spend some time reading the manuals and securing your network.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you, Joe. I'm calling in the people who put this in to begin with.

I am way out in the boondocks and if anyone wanted to use my wireless, I'd see them...if, that is, the bad guys could even find my house.

I truly appreciate the time you've devoted to this question. Thank you.