Old October 4th, 2011, 05:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Videotrader is on a distinguished road
Default No option to remove the stand

I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on? I'd much prefer to have mine sitting flat on the desk than standing on end, there are feet on the underside of the unit so it must have been considered that it could be used that way.

Have Netgear glued them on to stop them overheating?
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:44 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No option to remove the stand

I thought that a torx screw driver could be used to remove the stand. The screws are hidden by those rubber feet.

For the record though, I personally would advise against placing the router flat on a surface.

Most modern routers work better on their edges as it aids cooing. They don't have internal fans and the processor's have heat sinks attached. This isn't always enough and the airflow needs a little help.

You could always consider wall mounting the router. With all the 'Red Light' lock up issues happening at present, I would advise against this though as the reset button would be against the wall.
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
I thought that a torx screw driver could be used to remove the stand. The screws are hidden by those rubber feet.
I'm not so sure that's the case, the screws under the feet do not make contact with the part of base that goes into the router. The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:33 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Scubbie is on a distinguished road

No problem.
Old October 4th, 2011, 06:49 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
For the record though, I personally would advise against placing the router flat on a surface.

Most modern routers work better on their edges as it aids cooing. They don't have internal fans and the processor's have heat sinks attached. This isn't always enough and the airflow needs a little help.

You could always consider wall mounting the router. With all the 'Red Light' lock up issues happening at present, I would advise against this though as the reset button would be against the wall.
What better advice do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videotrader View Post
I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on?
Quote:
The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.
Just what are you trying to prove?
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubbie

What better advice do you want?
answer was standing was better way... for better advice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videotrader
I just wondered if it was normal on all DGND3700's that the base / stand was glued on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videotrader
The base is glued in place, I know because I managed to remove it from my last unit with a bit of help from an implement or two.
Just what are you trying to prove?
personal preferences so that router can sit flat , against proper cooling will be router in standing point.
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
What better advice do you want? Just what are you trying to prove?
I'm not trying to prove anything, I just wondered if they are all glued in or is it just the two that I've had.

I thought it was interesting that they have wall mounting holes on the back and rubber feet yet it seems the base base has been glued on to stop these options being used.
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Have you considered that by removing the stand which was glued-on, it is possible that you may be voiding your warranty?
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bilbonvidia is on a distinguished road

It just pulls off, you have to pull hard. It then goes back on no problem.
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ryster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not trying to prove anything, I just wondered if they are all glued in or is it just the two that I've had.

I thought it was interesting that they have wall mounting holes on the back and rubber feet yet it seems the base base has been glued on to stop these options being used.
Doubtless it was originally designed with the ability to sit horizontally, or be wall mounted. Then they realised at the last minute that they had designed a lemon that was prone to overheating and unreliable behaviour, so they took those options away as a cheap and dirty "fix".