Old October 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Philby is on a distinguished road
Default N300 modem router port forwarding help

Hi all, sorry if this is wrong forum,
I got myself a new N300 asdl modem with router wirless device.
Set up has worked fine, but as we use this for our our server for SBS work, windows SBS2008, I cannot see where one enters the port forwarding to allow incoming traffic to our SBS server, like Remote desktop, Pop 3 etc, I have a Ntegear WGR 7 or whatever it was called bridged to a Ciso modem, but the cisco modem died.

Anyway can someone kindle point me to where in the device management web screen I open ports on this device.

Or if this is wrong forum, let me know right one.

Thanks in advance
Phil
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:13 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N300 modem router port forwarding help

N300 is no at model. look at bottom of the router.

go to portforward.com and look at similar model # if not listed
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccampy is on a distinguished road

it will likely to be a netgear dgn2000/2200 as these are often labled as a netgear N300 in shops
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for replies, yes that is the model number
From what I can tell for this model, with the web interface, under advanced firewall is where you enter ports to forward etc,
Is this right, must be as once I open ports there for say Remote desktop, so external users of our company server, they wer able to log in.
Seems the manual for these are for more than one model, as it shows a different web interface layout in it's pictures compared to what I see in the one I have. Not unusual I suspect, as I would assume manual is for the series of this model.

Port forwarding is a bit different to the older WGR 6147 Router alone one I have.

By the way, on a slightly different note, what is the best wireless setting to use for getting my laptop, playstation, Smart TV to access web, I currenlty have it is to WPA2-PSK, as both PS3 and Smart TV cannot always keep a stable connection some nights, bit of competition around me for wirelss singal, I have tried changing channel.

Just wondering what others use.

Cheers and thanks
Phil
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
...what is the best wireless setting to use...
...I currenlty have it is to WPA2-PSK...
...cannot always keep a stable connection some nights, bit of competition around me for wirelss singal, I have tried changing channel.
Assuming you are referring to the 2.4GHz band? Changing the channel is about as much as you can do. You can try using inSSIDer to help you lessen the guesswork, however, you have to remain aware of the limitations of this utility.

If it gets very bad, then it's time to start thinking of switching to 5GHz, or even cat5e/6.
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM

DGNxxx model uses now inbound / outbound rules , inbound mean portforwarding

You only want to use channel 1,6.11,13 (13 for asia/europe) so randomly choose any other channel will overlapp .
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Okay thanks for replies on both issues.

Yeah changing chnannels I have tried, PS3 found and connected but will not maintain connection all the time as for LG TV, well it refusses to find device.
I noticed under wireless settings, it appears you can set up more than one SSID on this model. If I follow it right, so maybe I set one sSID for LG TV only

Sorry but what is switching to 5GHz, or even cat5e/6.
Is that within this router or a different device?

Cheers
Phil
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:59 PM

multiple SSID will not make nay better on issues.

5Ghz will be useful if you have dual band supported products. Not all do so if you have saturated 2.4Ghz and some of the devices you own can handle 5ghz then use 5Ghz but also you will find the range will less than 2.4Ghz as well.

with LG and PS3 you should able to use ethernet cable so in worth scenario you have to make dues to run cables or use power line device to extend to the different room because you can not physically impossible to run the cables.
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi thanks for post,

Okay understand about 5,
And addiotnal ssids, thought it was worth a try,

As for cable, might have to do for LG TV, I have cable going to my Pay TV Foxtel box, so I can get a splitter box, was trying to avoid the extra cables, but what is annoying the old router we used that was bridged to a cisco modem for our asdl, wireless devices did find it easy, but would loose connectin every 3 days and my cisco modem died, hence why I am using this one, power line adaptors I aware of those, rooms have to be on same power circuit in electricy box out front, we had them set up at one of our offices.
I belieave these rooms are, but it is strange TV and ps3 wont keep connection, when a laptop we have in a room further away from the router, conencts to it fine. Anyway thanks for your help, I'll sort it out.

Cheers
Phil
Old October 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM

reach room may have different results of how channel interference may play. TV and PS3 may close to other wireless channel vs to laptop in other room may have less inference issues.

connivence wireless is nice but you must take account of saturated 2.4ghz. 2.4Ghz products will overwhelmed throughout the livelihood now. That is why 5Ghz has open up to reduce that but again not all products can so you just have to find the best combination for you