Old October 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM

cycleflight is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4500 DHCP related internet connection issues with Verizon FiOS

I have Verizon FIOS 25/15, and have connected 3 different wireless routers to the FiOS ONT (fiber's equivalent of a modem, as I understand it). In both cases aside from the WNDR4500, the DHCP lease was (apparently) released and reacquired automatically upon plugging in the router, without power cycling the ONT or any further action on my part. However, with the WNDR4500, a DHCP lease does not seem to automatically release and reacquire.

When I first plugged in the WNDR4500 I was unable to get an internet connection. Power cycling the ONT did not resolve the issue (I waited a minimum of two minutes after removing the battery backup, and waited a minimum of two minutes after plugging it back in before powering up the WNDR4500). Cloning the MAC address of the previous, successfully connected router also did not work. What did work was waiting two hours for the DHCP lease to expire, then plugging in the WNDR4500.

However, upon applying some settings to the router that required it to restart, it once again could not latch on to the DHCP lease, and this time the lease was registered to the WNDR4500's MAC address (and the MAC address was not something I changed). Currently the router is sitting unplugged at home, with the plan to plug it in upon returning from work (way over two hours, should work to get it back up and running like before).

The odd things about this case to me are the following:
  • While attempting to diagnose why I could not get an internet connection with the WNDR4500, I reconnected the old router, even after power cycling the ONT, and had no DHCP lease issues whatsoever. Changing the MAC address of the old router also did not appear to cause any DHCP issues, as the internet connection remained intact.
  • Once the DHCP lease is established for the WNDR4500's MAC address, it strikes me as odd that rebooting the router would cause a loss of connection. The lease should not have expired, and the MAC address did not change. This behavior of losing a DHCP lease and not being able to get it back until the old one expires is not consistent with the other two routers that have been connected to this network.

The second bullet leads me to the conclusion that there is some issue with how the WNDR4500 talks to the DHCP server on Verizon's end. If its behavior were consistent with the other routers, then I would think the issue was on Verizon's end, but since it isn't, I'm led to the conclusion that the WNDR4500 is not dealing with DHCP correctly.

For reference, the settings I changed on the WNDR4500 when the established internet connection was lost were the following:

-NAT Filtering from Disabled to Enabled
-Ping response from Enabled to Disabled
-DoS protection (etc.) from Disabled to Enabled
-MTU from 1400 to 1500

Upon application of these settings, the router restarted automatically and the connection with the internet was lost upon boot. I returned these settings to their previous states one by one, none of which had an effect on internet connectivity. I then changed the admin password, applied, then cut power to the router.

The previous routers used on this network are the following:
Edimax BR-6428n, Firmware version 1.0
*Old Belkin router from the dawn of draft-n protocol

The Edimax router was the one I was swapping with the WNDR4500 during connection debugs. The Belkin router had started to get "sick," requiring a restart about once a day. DHCP leasing was never an issue when rebooting that router.

So, with all that background info, I ask this: Is there a way to get back to an internet connection faster than waiting for the old DHCP lease to expire? Something other than calling Verizon and asking them to do it manually from there end. Note that attempting to release and renew the DHCP lease from the WNDR4500's GUI did not work, nor did power cycling the ONT.

And additionally: can a change be made in the next firmware release of the WNDR4500 that allows it to not lose a DHCP lease upon a router restart? This is the first router I've seen encounter an issue like this, on any network, let alone my exact network. It seems like the router should be able to hang onto a DHCP lease through a restart (it has an IP assigned from the server, it's MAC address doesn't change, why the problem?)

Rock on,
cycle
Old October 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR4500 DHCP related internet connection issues with Verizon FiOS

contact support at my.netgear.com

forum is user to user only.. You should send this to support to aware of the finding
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM

Understood, I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue and if so, had found a workaround.

Thanks,
cycle
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

taekwon3dan is on a distinguished road

I have FIOS and have used many non-Actiontec routers as a primary router. You have to first release DHCP on the Actiontec, power down, and then connect the WNDR4500. At that point, the replacement router (in this case the WNDR4500) will obtain DHCP.

I have had zero problems with the WNDR4500 on my FIOS connection.
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

taekwon3dan is on a distinguished road

BTW, when I power down the WNDR4500 and restart, it retains the old WAN IP.

Did you check the previous router if it is releasing properly? I know that some routers don't release properly, such as if you have tomatousb on it (build 54 and earlier). Even some of the routers with stock firmware don't release WAN IP properly (e.g., Engenius ESR9850).
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bigg123 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Netgear their infamous for DHCP issues.
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwon3dan View Post
BTW, when I power down the WNDR4500 and restart, it retains the old WAN IP.

Did you check the previous router if it is releasing properly? I know that some routers don't release properly, such as if you have tomatousb on it (build 54 and earlier). Even some of the routers with stock firmware don't release WAN IP properly (e.g., Engenius ESR9850).
When I power down the WNDR4500, even if it previously had an IP, it boots disconnected to the internet, and any attempt from the router management page itself to renew or release the DHCP lease does not work. I did learn, through rough trial and error, that the 2 hr power-down is not fully necessary, so far I have gotten it to work on a "mere" half hour downtime before rebooting. So the sweet-spot lies somewhere between 2 minutes (which doesn't work) and 30 minutes (which does seem to work).

As far as the previous router releasing properly, I'm not sure. The Edimax router listed above seems to use some adapted version of DD-WRT for their networking firmware/software, but I'm only basing that off the look of the user interface. In my case that's of secondary concern since I won't be frequently switching between the old Edimax router and the new WNDR4500 (I hope not anyway)!

bigg123, you say DHCP issues with Netgear routers are infamous. This is my first Netgear product of any kind; would you care to share any anecdotes? My purchasing of this product was based on professional internet reviews and customer reviews, which all seemed to be positive. Are Netgear routers typically this finicky? I've used Linksys, Belkin, and Edimax in the past and after setting up the network, they were all cruise control devices, in that they took no additional work until they got old and crotchety.
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

bigg123 is on a distinguished road

Yes I've had numerious WNDR3700's before all would get link local 169. address. Bought a Linksys E4200 and all my problems seemed to go away.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM

To follow up with this, my issue seems to have been resolved. DHCP release and re-acquisition of an IP from the modem works properly now, and the router has come back up to fully operational quickly after a recent internet outage. I've taken no further action to bring about the improved performance... it just seems that the FiOS system has "gotten used to" the WNDR4500. Why this behavior would occur is beyond me.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:37 PM

chard0119 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but the title describes EXACTLY the problem I seem to be having. Please bear with me as I explain my situation.

I recently got FIOS, with the new FIOS ActionTec Router. I really don't want to use the router at all. Instead I have a pre-existing WNDR4500 that has been a stable router for use with my previous Comcast broadband connection.

So, I followed the published instructions on turning the ActionTec into a simple MOCA to Ethernet bridge, and turned off DHCP. I then plugged the WNDR4500 into one of the LAN ports on the ActionTec, set the WNDR4500 IP to 192.168.1.2 (instead of .1), and voila, the DHCP for the internet IP passed through to the WNDR4500 and the internet worked great... UNTIL...

Two hours later, the internet connection dropped, so I reset the Actiontec router, thinking that is was just a reboot issue. The internet instantly came back. Then roughly 2-3 hours later, the same thing happened. I reset again, and again the internet came back. It happened AGAIN after 2-3 hours.

At this point, I became VERY frustrated, and started thinking that it might be something with the WNDR4500. With the internet connection unavailable on the ActionTec (turned off in bridge mode), instead of AGAIN resetting the ActionTec, I went into the WNDR4500 admin portal, and released/renewed the DHCP lease for the internet, and the internet instantly returned.

This happens every 2-3 hours (essentially, it appears as though it is happening every time FIOS updates the internet IP). So, I am thinking that it has something to do with the WNDR4500 not releasing/renewing the internet IP when FIOS updates it.

What's interesting is that this never happened with Comcast, even though Comcast obviously updates our internet IP periodically (though not as often as FIOS).

Has anyone had this issue? What I would REALLY like to do is simply remove the Actiontec from the setup completely (I only use CableCards... no STBs, so I have no need for the MOCA portion). Failing that, I would just like to get this whole setup stable, so my Internet doesn't drop every few others, forcing me to manually release/renew the internet IP.

Can anyone help me with this?