Old October 18th, 2011, 02:03 AM

build is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot connect to router

Hi
I have set up the router (NETGEAR N300 Wireless ADSL2 Router) all ok and can get on the net with wireless on my other laptops.
I have bought a desktop computer (xp pro) which was connected to my mates router. I pluged in the ethernet cable to the desktop then to the router BUT it will not see the router.It keeps saying no connection or low connectivity I look at the ipconfig and it says for the ip 169. But if I use my lap top with Win7 on it and plug in the ethernet it works.

What have I got wrong

THank you
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cannot connect to router

possible band network card unless this computer do work with other wired networks
Old October 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by build View Post
I have set up the router (NETGEAR N300 Wireless ADSL2 Router) all ok and can get on the net with wireless on my other laptops.
Firstly, N300 is not the router's model number. Look at the label that is stuck to the router - it should be something like DGxxxx or WNxxxx. From the info provided, I rather suspect you have posted in the wrong forum. (Yes! I know that the way the forums are arranged doesn't make it a "no-brainer" to choose the correct forum).

Quote:
I have bought a desktop computer (xp pro) which was connected to my mates router...
So let's see if I got this right: You bought this desktop PC (presumably 2nd hand) and it was working on your friend's router. Next, you connect it to a LAN port of your router using the same ethernet cable that was used before, and you cannot establish a connection. Is this correct? What does the that LAN LED show? (e.g. color, steady or blinking).

Check and make sure the ends of the cable are properly inserted in both the PC and the router. Also, try swapping the cable with another one. Try another LAN port.
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM

boardsystem is on a distinguished road

How far away you're from router? With long cable connection are lost. Make sure Local IP Address it's not already used by another computer.
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsystem View Post
Make sure Local IP Address it's not already used by another computer.

with IP 169.x IP , you will not get this ip because of duplicate IP. It it was, one of the device will get duplicate IP.

usually 169 are sign of not fully communicating at all