Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 20th, 2011, 07:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

BigHoss is on a distinguished road
Default Ethernet Ports going bad

Hi.

I'm having some difficulties with the ethernet ports on my router.

I've had this router since june and everything has been working on it till yesterday when I noticed my internet was down. First thing I did was unplug my modem and my router from the power source. I waited a few minutes then plugged the modem in. Waited a few more minutes and plugged the router back in. Still no internet. I then plugged my laptop directly into the router via Ethernet port to troubleshoot further and I couldn't ping the router. I tried two different laptops using two different cords switching between different ports and still no luck. I then unplugged the router and modem again waited a few minutes and this time only plugged the router back in. After waiting a few minutes I plugged the laptop back in and no luck. I can not ping the router. I tried the other laptop and same thing, can't ping the router. Now I'm thinking the router might need reset. So I reset the router and tried again. Still no luck, can't ping the router. I ate dinner came back and now it was working. Now I'm thinking I may not have been waiting long enough for it to power on. I try out this theory by unplugging it and plugging it back in then waited 15 minutes. Now it's not working again. Tried unplugging it again, waited 15 minutes and attempted to ping the router again, no luck.

Not really sure where to go from here. I would like to point out that wireless is working just fine through all of this. It's almost as if all of my ethernet ports, including WAN port are flaking out on me. Wouldn't be too big of a deal if it wasn't for the WAN port not working along with the others. Can someone offer some suggestions for things to try.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ethernet Ports going bad

Right off I'd say that your router is going bad, particularly since you said that you've Factory Reset it with the same result. There is one thing which you didn't mention that you tried, and that is re-flashing it with the same firmware that it currently has. Note, I did not say upgrade the firmware, but rather re-install the same firmware. I've seen mention that doing this have solved mysterious issues.

The strange thing in your entire post is that you have never once mentioned what the behavior and/or color of the various LEDs (particularly the LAN ones) were like. I should think that the Troubleshooting Section of the User Manual uses it as a significant indicator of what the problem may be.

Nevertheless, just remain aware of what your warranty period is in case you have to RMA it.
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Since you got this in June, call support and get RMA exchange will be smart way to be.

You could he corruptd firmware which you need to follow recovery utilities that came with cd and/or use this tftp method

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453

No the less tftp do not work, call support next.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
The strange thing in your entire post is that you have never once mentioned what the behavior and/or color of the various LEDs (particularly the LAN ones) were like. I should think that the Troubleshooting Section of the User Manual uses it as a significant indicator of what the problem may be.
Light was solid green when I would plug the network cord in. Occasionally like once every 10 seconds it would blink just once.

Worked when I got home from work. Unplugged it and plugged back in and it was no longer working. Wireless still works ok, it's just the ethernet ports that seem broke.

Sick of messing with it so I'm gonna contact netgear and hopefully get it replaced. Thanks for the help!
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

SAHDx2 is on a distinguished road

Mine just crapped out also after only owning it since July. I had to RMA it and my new(probably) refurbished one arrives today.
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

SAHDx2 is on a distinguished road

I got my router today. It is brand new which really surprised me. I am crossing my fingers in hopes that this one lasts.
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes mine came new in the box as well. Didn't have to wait that long either. I think I went through all the RMA stuff friday afternoon. They had it in the mail on monday and it arrived at my door on wednesday. I'm happy.

SAHDx2 was it your ethernet ports that crapped out or just the router in general?
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well it has happened again.

A few nights ago I noticed I was no longer connected to the internet. Well after about 30 minutes of testing I have determined that all the Ethernet ports on the router are bad. The wireless is still working fine and I probably would not have even noticed the problem other than the fact that the WAN port isn't working so the internet is not available on the LAN.

I determined that the LAN ports were bad by plugging my laptop into the LAN ports and tried pinging the router. The results of all these pings were either general failure or destination host unreachable. Tried again after power cycling the router but this time I gave myself a static ip of 192.168.1.88 and got the same results. I then tried the same thing with a different laptop and a different cable but again the results were the same. During these tests the lights for the LAN port I was plugged into would be solid green and would blink once every ten seconds or so. I tested the WAN port by plugging the modem into the WAN port and using the test button on the internet connection setup page. The results of this test were like I didn't have my modem plugged in, which it was. I then performed a 30-30-30 reset of the router and tried again with my laptop and a static ip, same results.

I called Netgear and they had me run through a number of different troubleshooting steps including a lot of what I had already done above. They also had me reset the router again by holding the reset button for 60 seconds while plugged in. At one point they requested that I download the latest firmware from the website, which I was not able to do easily since I didn't want to configure my laptop and modem for a direct connection (I have DSL) so I told them I would download it at work and would call them back the next day. I'm hoping that the firmware update will work, but I don't have high hopes for it.

I really can't believe that this has happened to me twice now. I have an APC branded UPS which both the modem and router are plugged into. I also have my DSL line running through the UPS so I would be really surprised if the router was getting fried by a power spike or something similar. I guess I could be doing something wrong, but I hadn't made any changes to any configurations on the network in quite some time and it was working great during that time.

Is there anything you guys could suggest to help fix the problem? Any ideas why this has happened to me twice now? This is enough to make a loyal Netgear customer switch to another brand.
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:09 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

I don't think you got much less to do.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com