Old October 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Donutv is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! My router is a complete mess, won't connect to the internet at all.

So I've been having some trouble with my Netgear WNDR3700 router for about a month now. At first it was just that it would lose connectivity randomly throughout the day, multiples times for about ten minutes. Today, it stopped connecting completely. I tried to hard reset it but it would not do anything. Now, I'm not sure what information i need to post here for you guys to help figure out what is wrong, but ask away and I'll provide it. Any help is appreciated!
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: HELP! My router is a complete mess, won't connect to the internet at all.

Also, used the directions on this site to hard reset it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802

I can access the router configuration site if i change the TCP/IPv4 settings as listed on the site. When I do not change the settings and leave it as (Obtain IP address automatically), I cannot access anything, including the router configuration page. I have tried multiple times to configure the router using the setup CD that came with the router, but I cannot set it up because it cannot connect to the internet with the router.

I am running windows 7 SP1. My sister has a Macbook and that cannot connect to the internet through our router either, along with any other handheld devices we use.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
NETGEAR Expert

KevTech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP! My router is a complete mess, won't connect to the internet at all.

What modem are you using?
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutv View Post
I tried to hard reset...
Did you try to reset it to Factory Defaults? Is this what you mean? Did you use a paper clip and hold in the reset button for at least 10 seconds when you tried this? (Note: Just pressing the reset button momentarily or for less than 10 seconds does not work).

Quote:
I'm not sure what information i need to post here for you guys to help figure out what is wrong, but ask away and I'll provide it.
What do each of the LED lights show? (i.e. on or off, color, blinking or steadily lit, etc.).

What kind of internet service do you have? (i.e. cable or DSL).
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtech View Post
what modem are you using?
arris tm602g/115
Old October 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ View Post
Did you try to reset it to Factory Defaults? Is this what you mean? Did you use a paper clip and hold in the reset button for at least 10 seconds when you tried this? (Note: Just pressing the reset button momentarily or for less than 10 seconds does not work).

What do each of the LED lights show? (i.e. on or off, color, blinking or steadily lit, etc.).

What kind of internet service do you have? (i.e. cable or DSL).
Yes, I tried that. I held it for at least 30 seconds each time. I tried putting it in recovery mode and restoring the firmware to an earlier patch, and then patched it to the most recent one.

I have RoadRunner with time warner cable. Not sure if that's DSL or cable to be honest.
As for the light, I'm in the middle of something right now and have my laptop connected directly to my modem. I'll post what lights are on once I'm done.
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Okay forget the first part. I got the router working again with a little bit of time off and a hard reset that worked this time. I set it up fine, even though it kept saying that my IP was static, it eventually went back to the right one and went to Dynamic. Now, the only problem I have is that the router sometimes loses all connectivity with all devices, except one. The one device that works is a cable box that my father uses to watch TV shows from his country. All other devices do not work. My wired desktop PC doesn't have connectivity when this happens, and nor does any wireless device.

Not too sure if I was clear there, so I'll summarize it.
  • The router will be working fine, and then it will randomly lose connectivity even though all lights that are supposed to be on are on. Still shows up as a wireless connectivity station.
  • No devices connected to the router work (xbox, ipod, iphone, laptop, desktop computer)
  • The only device that works is an international cable box when this occurs.
  • The router will regain internet connectivity again in about 5-10 minutes, or if restarted

This has become a problem because it will go off in the middle of important business and makes using the internet very very annoying and frustrating. If any sorts of logs (either modem or router) are needed to conclude what's wrong, please ask. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutv View Post
arris tm602g/115
This cable modem with phone

REMOVE the battery on cable modem and follow below

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...m_step_123.pdf
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

This is the log for the Modem.

Date Time Event ID Event Level Description
10/17/2011 21:58 20000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
10/17/2011 21:58 17000100 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
10/17/2011 22:06 20000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
10/17/2011 22:07 17000100 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
***** 12 3 Modem Failed to Register - Resetting Between Scan Attempts
10/19/2011 6:36 20000400 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
10/19/2011 6:36 20000100 3 No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging oportunities received - T2 time-out
10/19/2011 6:36 18000200 3 UCD invalid or channel unusable
10/19/2011 6:36 17000100 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
10/19/2011 6:37 17000400 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
10/19/2011 6:39 20000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
10/19/2011 6:39 20000100 3 No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging oportunities received - T2 time-out
10/19/2011 6:39 18000200 3 UCD invalid or channel unusable
10/19/2011 6:39 17000400 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
10/19/2011 6:39 17000100 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
10/19/2011 6:39 17000400 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
10/19/2011 6:39 17000100 3 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
10/19/2011 6:40 20000100 3 No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging oportunities received - T2 time-out
10/19/2011 16:43 20000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
10/21/2011 5:16 1040100 6 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ptrvb is on a distinguished road

Hello Donutv

[QUOTE=
I can access the router configuration site if i change the TCP/IPv4 settings as listed on the site. When I do not change the settings and leave it as (Obtain IP address automatically), I cannot access anything, including the router configuration page. I have tried multiple times to configure the router using the setup CD that came with the router, but I cannot set it up because it cannot connect to the internet with the router.[/QUOTE]

When having access to the Netgear (after hard reset of router and manually changed TCP/IPv4 settings in your LAN-adapter of your PC, which seemed to work for you):

-In the LAN settings of the router it should be configured as DHCP-server, to automatically assign IP-addresses to its clients such as your PC.
The IP-range should not be within the range of your Modem. If your modem (for example) had IP 192.168.1.254, Change the LAN address of the Netgear to (for example) 192.168.10.1, this will also become the gateway address for the PC's behind the Netgear,

-After you applied these settings, disconnect the router from your PC and restart the router (just to be sure).

-In your PC: change the LAN-adapter TCP/IPv4 settings to Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS-server address automatically and apply

-Restart your PC (just to be sure) and then connect your PC to the Netgear router.

Now your PC should get an IP address (192.168.10.X) from the router automatically and should be able to access the configuration site of the Netgear...

Next you can configure the Netgear's WAN settings. Connect your Netgear's WAN-port to the Modem's LAN port. (I assume your modem is set as a router/DHCP-server)
Depending on your provider you have to chose the right settings.....
(In my case: No, Dynamically, Automatically, Default)

Did this work for you?