Old October 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Choco1 is on a distinguished road
Default Guest Network working but...

Guest Network working but no internet on the guest network

Guest SSID is visible next to my standard SSID. I can connect to guest SSID, but cant surf the internet.
Standard SSID works fine.

I read several posts about this issue, users seem to have different problems with guest network also.
V1.0.0.82 firmware doesnt fix it.
I was wondering if there was a firmware setting that could fix this?

I hope they fix this pronto with new firmware.
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
NETGEAR User

cyclone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guest Network working but...

By default guest network has network isolation enable. So your wireless client cannot connect to internet or other local network's devices?
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rtorella is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Guest Network working but...

Apparently the guest account issues have been going on for almost a year, without a fix. After several days of trial and error, I found that on my router, the only way to access both SSID'S is to set both to WEP security. Any other security setting: WPA, mixed, etc and I can only access internet thru the guest account. Change the main and guest to WEP and they both work in sync. Make certain that the wireless isolation is unchecked on your main SSID which will also apply to the guest account. What is amusing is that I spend many days, 5 total, 2 hour phone calls each with Netgear support. Unfortunately, everything they tried failed. It was the last call, where I said "let me try something here" which fixed the issue. I do not understand with so many customers who encounter the same issues, that they have not fixed the software with a firware patch that works.
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:00 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtorella View Post
Change the main and guest to WEP and they both work in sync.
I remember other people mentioning that there is no WEP encryption available on the WNDR4000. How did you get WEP on yours?
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Guest Network works working but...

I'm glad to see this forum is alive & kickin.

Internet on the guest account worked briefly when I rebooted my notebook.
But after a few minutes it was gone again.

@Cyclone
other local devices are not visible in guest account (isn't that how its supposed to be anyway with guest account?)

@rtorella
I haven't tried the WEP solution, but will do soon. Only thing that will bug me if it works is the low security WEP. Not to mention the speed reduction (54Mbps for WEP)
Did you submit the case through Netgear support website? I'm guessing the guy on the phone you spoke to will perhaps not submit it to technical department.

@Joe
There is a WEP option in the WNDR4000, but it's only visible when you change the mode in wireless settings to 54Mbps.

I will submit this soon as a case when I get around to it in the next couple of days.
Like somebody said before; it helps if more people do this.

I am really dissapointed to see that Netgear is not active in these forums.
I am a club dj in weekends and use Serato hardware. The Serato forums are very well supported by the developers. They even ask the users to suggest new features on software/hardware updates. I miss that here....
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guest Network works working but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco1 View Post
I'm glad to see this forum is alive & kickin.
It's up to the users (you, me, all of us to make it so).

Quote:
Internet on the guest account worked briefly when I rebooted my notebook.
But after a few minutes it was gone again.
I recall some threads (about a month ago?) by searay and others saying that the Guest Network does not work properly. I don't know if any attempt was made to fix it in the latest firmware.

Quote:
other local devices are not visible in guest account (isn't that how its supposed to be anyway with guest account?)
Wireless Isolation (if that is what is referred to) is supposed to prevent wireless clients from communicating with each other or with wired clients(according to the manual). IMHO, I don't see what this has to do with the proper functioning of the Guest Network feature. For that matter, why would one want guests to communicate with the wired network?

Quote:
Only thing that will bug me if it works is the low security WEP. Not to mention the speed reduction (54Mbps for WEP)
I totally agree.
Quote:
There is a WEP option in the WNDR4000, but it's only visible when you change the mode in wireless settings to 54Mbps.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info (my model's not the 4000 ).

Quote:
Like somebody said before; it helps if more people do this.
That was me (unless I missed someone else's post).

Quote:
I am really dissapointed to see that Netgear is not active in these forums.
I can understand Netgear's possible reasons for this. I gave my opinion on this topic in a thread on the DGND3700 forum. I'd much rather enjoy the relative freedom of speech (as critical as it may get at times) on these forums, and have a separate avenue for seeking official contact.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Duffy6 is on a distinguished road

Hey, come on Netgear guys!

Get this thing working!

It's months ago since I bought that WNDR4000!!!

It can not be so difficult!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

Some things never change.

I used guest for several months before .82 and it worked fine. Today I was contacted and asked if I saw any problems with guest. I setup guest on both 5 & 2.4 using wpa2 with ssid broadcasted. Worked for several minutes on 5g then the no internet yellow warning poped up. I am using now and have been since 10am today when I rebooted router. I am saving debug data to send to them when it fails again.
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay View Post
Some things never change.

I used guest for several months before .82 and it worked fine. Today I was contacted and asked if I saw any problems with guest. I setup guest on both 5 & 2.4 using wpa2 with ssid broadcasted. Worked for several minutes on 5g then the no internet yellow warning poped up. I am using now and have been since 10am today when I rebooted router. I am saving debug data to send to them when it fails again.
Good news I suposse. This indicates that they are aware of the issue.
I have problems with 2.4Ghz. Don't have 5Ghz client to test.
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Bundalo is on a distinguished road

I've got guest networking running properly on my Netgear N300 router, and it seems to work flawlessly. I have a Motorola cablemodem acting as a router and DHCP server serving up a single address on one subnet, and then the n300 acting as a DHCP server on a second subnet. This serves up two SSIDs, with one being my home network and the other being for guests. Currently, guests have no access to my internal network and have full Internet access. So, the feature DOES work on my N300. A friend is experiencing the same problem noted above with his N600, however, and this evening I'll be comparing my configuration with his. I do believe he's passing through DHCP requests from his FIOS router through the N600, rather than having it serve IPs on a separate subnet.