Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM

manimaul is on a distinguished road
Default wndr4500 wireless unreliable

Hello, I am a computer network engineer. I purchased a wndr4500 three days ago. I was enthusiastic about this product and some of it's features. However, I would like to express how dis-appointed I am in it. While the router does work great for wired clients; I am having to re-boot the router twice every-day for wireless clients to stay connected (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). I've upgraded to the latest firmware and have tried factory resetting the router. It will work perfectly for about 3 hours. Eventually, it will fail to allow new wireless clients to authenticate. And, with previously authenticated wireless clients it will do one or more of the following thing:

--some are disconnected and then cannot re-authenticate
--some can only reach local ip addresses including the router but not the internet
--some seem to stay wirelessly authenticated but cannot reach any address

What a disappointment for a promising router. Hopefully this is a known issue and gets solved quickly. Please inform.

Will
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Geoff50 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wndr4500 wireless unreliable

did you try different cha.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Please inform.
It is possible you got a defective unit.

This is only a user-to-user forum and you should not expect it to substitute for tech support.

You should really open a case with Netgear. Choose the option of not registering the router.

If I were you I'd ensure that I don't lose the option to return it to the store.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were you return the unit and get new one as sounds like defective unit if you feel there is no other channel interference is happening..

contact support is fine but usually they will end up tell you to return to the vendor anyway.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
NETGEAR User

billshih1975 is on a distinguished road

what's the client adapter you use?
If you move your laptop to close WNDR4500, does it improve the situation?
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

TAZMANUK is on a distinguished road

I agree, i have the same issues but more

First i changed the SSID and passphrase to the one ive always used and to channel 6, clicked apply, everything connected fine but about 2 hours my devices wood no longer connect wireless, even though using wifi app on my htc desire it could see the ssid, reading -70db it was on a loop.

Htc phone was saying acquring ip, authenticating, connected, then soon after discomnected and did this for 1 hour before i got fed up and upgraded the firmware, again same issues, so pressed the reset button with a pin, then tried again, same again after changing just the wifi settings.

I then tried the first and second firmwares same again and ive reset it 8 times been without internet for 4 hours, rechecking settings, changing cables, updating firmware, downgrading firmware, this router is not retaining the settings i want very dissapointed.

Also sometimes when it decides to work and i want to change channel i go into wireless setting i notice it says wrong area im.in europe but says isereal and when i press wireless settings tab again in the gui then it comes.back with correct details.

Another major gripe the gui aint friendly with smartphones i used tp access my wnr2000v2 via my phone and could change all settings on this u cant its awful, try it, access it on phone on a android phone click wireless settings the only visible settings are ur 2.4ghz there is no scroll bar on right hand side.

Please advise as ive gone.back using wnr2000v2 without wifi issues at all
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Briss929 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: wndr4500 wireless unreliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Hello, I am a computer network engineer. I purchased a wndr4500 three days ago. I was enthusiastic about this product and some of it's features. However, I would like to express how dis-appointed I am in it. While the router does work great for wired clients; I am having to re-boot the router twice every-day for wireless clients to stay connected (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). I've upgraded to the latest firmware and have tried factory resetting the router. It will work perfectly for about 3 hours. Eventually, it will fail to allow new wireless clients to authenticate. And, with previously authenticated wireless clients it will do one or more of the following thing:

--some are disconnected and then cannot re-authenticate
--some can only reach local ip addresses including the router but not the internet
--some seem to stay wirelessly authenticated but cannot reach any address

What a disappointment for a promising router. Hopefully this is a known issue and gets solved quickly. Please inform.

Will

I have the same problem with the last firmware...
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

TAZMANUK is on a distinguished road

Same here really fed up with this now, uve tried all 3 firmware frim their website, are these faulty or what, even dont like vhangung ssid or passphrase either, mines in a loop in.my phone, says authenticating, requiring ip address, connected then disconnected on htc phone, ps3 just network error, laptop cant connect, ive hard reset this total 9 times, firmware reflash 6 times...
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Briss929 is on a distinguished road

I sent a request to the Netgear support team with the problem. I will let you know with the next.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

velocci is on a distinguished road

apparently there is a new firmware 1.0.0.70 out and some people found it to be very good. have anyone of you guys tried this?