Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM

Go_Dux is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I can connect but no picture?

I just purchased my Sony Laptop at Bestbuy and received a PTV2000 with the purchase. I have set up everything correctly and can see the preliminary images from the device on my TV. I setup the Intel WiDi on my laptop and downloaded the latest firmware. I was easily able to connect to my PTV2000 with a strong connection. All the neccesary lights went as promised but once the solid green light came on the PTV2000 my TV showed just a black screen. My TV is a Vizio 37" LCD TV. I even changed the resolution on my laptop to 1280 x 720 and still not luck?
Does anyone have suggestions or experienced the same issues? Please help!
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

SonyVaioFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I can connect but no picture?

Similar to your problem, we have a brand new SonyVaio (1080p HD display), Sony TV (1080p HD) and the Sony recommended Netgear PTV2000 in the same room that all connect easily without interference. Before we activate WiDi on the Vaio, we see the blue Netgear welcome screen on the Sony TV. When we then turn on WiDi on the Vaio, the screen turns completely black but we can hear sound when we play the test sound.

Also, if we now play a YouTube video, we can hear the sound coming from the Sony TV speakers, but we only see a completely black screen (no video whatsoever, not even the cursor/arrow). When we shut off the WiDi, the PTV2000 then again displays the blue Netgear welcome screen. So, the problem appears to be confined to the way video signals are handled between the SonyVaio and the PTV2000. We are stuck at this point, because we do not know how to fix this issue.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

StephenB is on a distinguished road

Does the sony laptop have switchable graphics?
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The Vaio has switchable graphics and it is set at 'Stamina' because that is what is recommended. We also downloaded and ran the various driver and firmware updates.

Three rounds of Tech support comments has not resolved the 'yes audio no video' problem for me.

One additional relevant point though is that the video of the Vaio works perfectly with the Sony TV when it is directly connected to the HDMI cable.

When the cable is plugged back into the PTV2000 (and resetting the PTV2000unit by turning it on and off with all connections made before turning on the PTV2000, the Vaio and the computer in sequence as if we are starting fresh), the screen turns black as soon as the Vaio starts communicating with the PTV2000, and turns to the blue Netgear welcome screen as soon as the Vaio is turned off.

Somehow the PTV2000 is not understanding the video signal of the Vaio and we do not know which driver in which of the units (PTV2000 or Vaio) is at fault.
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

For StephenB - We read your previous suggestions in threads and tried the idea of hooking up the PTV2000 with the simple component video (using the yellow, white and red plugs in the appropriate locations in the Sony TV and the PTV2000). Again, the same result: we select the proper video input on the Sony TV and as soon as we turn on IntelWiDi, the screen turns black but the test audio of IntelWiDi works fine. When we close IntelWiDi, the Netgear screen comes back up on the Sony TV.
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:20 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaioFan View Post
For StephenB - We read your previous suggestions in threads and tried the idea of hooking up the PTV2000 with the simple component video (using the yellow, white and red plugs in the appropriate locations in the Sony TV and the PTV2000). Again, the same result: we select the proper video input on the Sony TV and as soon as we turn on IntelWiDi, the screen turns black but the test audio of IntelWiDi works fine. When we close IntelWiDi, the Netgear screen comes back up on the Sony TV.
I am wondering if your laptop has switchable graphics, and if you need to toggle a control there to get it to use the Intel GPU.

Also, have you tried looking here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...reless-display
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Dogbert is on a distinguished road

Also when StephenB says "switchable graphics" I think he means having both the Intel graphics card and an alternate graphics card (such as Nvidia) in the laptop. If it has an a secondary graphics card and the laptop is defaulting to that one instead of the Intel graphics card, the Widi display will not work.
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Also when StephenB says "switchable graphics" I think he means having both the Intel graphics card and an alternate graphics card (such as Nvidia) in the laptop. If it has an a secondary graphics card and the laptop is defaulting to that one instead of the Intel graphics card, the Widi display will not work.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. With some graphics engines (e.g. Nvidia Optimus) this is handled automatically. But there are other graphics engines that require the user to manually switch to Intel mode.

What laptop model are you talking about? Do you have a link to the sony specs?
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thumbs up Re: I can connect but no picture?

Stephen B & Dogbert - Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. Will check the Intel page and also look up the video configuration of the Vaio (and/or other relevant specs). It definitely has an extra video card (I believe Nvidia). I am now on another computer and it may take some time to get back to you before I can reply in a more informed manner.

Off the top of my head: there is a mechanical switch just above the keyboard that allows the user to modify the default setting to "stamina". I recall being instructed by one of the various install wizards to change the default to "stamina" to have the proper video properties for WiDi.

The "stamina" setting I would assume has something to do with lengthening battery life, and it would fit that it then might inactivate an external video card. (I guess I'd better read up on the Vaio manual: I have barely had time to orient myself on its features). If "stamina" inactivates the external card, then this would not be the solution, because I am running it in that mode. Need to check if the above assumptions are correct.

In the meantime, Netgear representatives are quoting solutions verbatim from standard troubleshooting manuals which is not as helpful.
Old December 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM

LimehouseBlues is on a distinguished road

I had this problem. Make sure your laptop is extending the desktop over to the secondary display (TV). Right click desktop, screen resolution. I think this screen changed in Windows 7, I had to go to "Connect a Projector" and select an option there and it worked.