Old December 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Dariesa is on a distinguished road
Default Netgear Genie says Wifi Status "Not Enabled" but wifi works anyway.

How can I fix Genie so that it reports Wifi status correctly? Thank you.
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
NETGEAR User

Darkev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Netgear Genie says Wifi Status "Not Enabled" but wifi works anyway.

Hi Dariesa,

I had the exact same problem. I'm using the latest released firmware V1.0.0.24 (not the beta). I bought a brand new WNDR3800 yesterday morning, and spent about 1.5 hours keying in all of the IP addresses of my equipment (voip phones, tivo, etc). I noticed the wireless was on, and I do not want to use the wireless portion of the WNDR3800, so I went to the advanced wireless settings screen to turn it off. Much to my surprise, the checkboxes were no checked! If the router had the wireless antennas on, the boxes should have both been checked. I was able to see the SSID with my iPad so I knew it was broadcasting. I tried turning them on figuring afterwards I would turn them off. However, the APPLY button would not work when I tried to do that. So regardless of what I would do I could not alter the advanced wireless settings screen and the advanced wireless settings screen was not reflecting the true state of the wireless signals.

I opened a ticket with Netgear. They called me and said they would fix the bug and it would be cleared up in a future firmware update.

To get rid of the wireless signals in the meantime, I did a factory reset on the router. As soon as the router booted up I went to the advanced wireless settings. The checkboxes were checked this time. I unchecked them and clicked APPLY. It worked! I was able to shut off both wireless signals. I'm not certain why it was jammed before. Settings I altered during my initial setup were:

- Added DHCP configuration for the 25 items in my home.
- Added QoS for the VoIP phones.
- Added 3 port forwarding rules.
- Changed the router password from the default "password".
- Changed my time zone.
- Added my email info to send logs to me when full.
- Added DDNS info.
- Enabled IGMP under WAN.
- Changed the LAN IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1.

Those are the only things I changed. One of them or a combination of them messed up the ability to alter the advanced wireless settings. Even after several reboots it would not work. A factory reset was my only option, but then I had to unfortunately re-key the 25 LAN items back in along with all of their MAC addresses. I spent a lot of my time on this.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hansknec is on a distinguished road

I understood that particular screen to mean "WiFi not enabled on the particular computer you are running Netgear Genie from". When I run it on my PC that is hardwired to the LAN, it says "not enabled" because I have no Wifi antenna on my PC. When I run Genie from my laptop, I see the Wifi is enabled.
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
NETGEAR User

Darkev is on a distinguished road

Both my wireless and wired connections showed the checkbox as unchecked, even though wireless was clearly on and working. It's possible that only specific web browsers work well with this router. What web browser is on your laptop. I assume it's not the same web browser on our PC.

You're supposed to be able to change any settings regardless of whether you're connected via wifi or Ethernet cable. The only thing is it is not recommended to upgrade firmware over a wireless connection.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM

SlaughterX is on a distinguished road

I am having this same issue and it wouldn't bother me if this weren't the reason preventing me from setting up my Ready SHARE HDD, which was one of the main reasons I bought the router...