Old December 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

garywi is on a distinguished road
Default Seting Public DNS Servers in Router - Faster

I just read an article that you should download a utility on your PC to scan and determine which public DNS server has the fastest response times and set these up in the router to speed up browsing. Have you done this? How do you circumvent the DNS servers that your ISP has assigned to your service. The article says that the DNS servers the ISP assigns could be slow or at times unresponsive....
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seting Public DNS Servers in Router - Faster

try using GOOGLE DNS
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Maltz is on a distinguished road

Well, first, there's may be no reason to assume that your ISP DNS servers are slower than public DNS servers unless you have had problems. Your ISP's DNS servers are a lot closer to you, so they may actually be faster. Also, some services such as YouTube use your DNS server to do geolocation, so you can download content from a web server near you, giving you better performance.

I wouldn't recommend changing your DNS servers if you haven't noticed problems with them. But it wouldn't hurt to experiment and see if you can tell a difference. Either way, you can still add, say, googles DNS servers as backup DNS servers. If you do have regular problems with your ISP's DNS, then you might consider just using Google's instead.

Of course, there are other public DNS services, but I've had good luck with Google's, and they actually have some ability to properly handle geolocation, which a lot of public DNS services lack.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

I use open dns and I like it better than Comcast DNS
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:53 AM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

OpenDNS will cause issues for some Remote Desktop applications.
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM
NETGEAR Expert

KevTech is on a distinguished road

What the OP may be referring to is using a DNS benchmark tool like DNS Benchmark.

My ISP's (Comcast) DNS servers are faster than OpenDNS and even the public DNS servers.

Now this may not be true for all areas but it is in the testing I have done for my area.

I would suggest the OP test and see if other DNS servers are actually faster before switching as you may end up switching to slower DNS servers then your ISP.
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

flaminio is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Seting Public DNS Servers in Router - Faster

Another variable in this is a service like OpenDNS's FamilyShield:

https://store.opendns.com/familyshie...device/netgear

Setting this as your DNS provider will stop many of the nastier web sites. Very useful if you have kids in the house.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Most geolocation filters are not done through your ISPs DNS, instead they are done at the first reference IP given. That IP will have a different location based on where you are in the world and will then forward you to the next IP.

To be honest, changing dns servers shouldnt be needed unless your wanting more features, or unless your isp dns servers have a lot of problems. If you tend to visit mostly the same sites then your Computer will often remember the IP address and those querys will never go past your ISP.

If your a European living in a small town in North America and your isp has no other Europeans then Google or OpenDNS would likely be faster if you were browsing general sites in your native country. DNS servers tend to cache IP's (same as your pc does) and if no one on your isp visits the same sites as you, then there can be a delay as you wait for your isp to fetch that IP. That wait is really small, but perhaps you would notice.

If you REALLY want to speed up browsing then there are things you should do before worrying about the dns issue. Probably the biggest thing you will love is this but the downside is that SOME sites may not work because they track you. I have to disable it when I am booking airline tickets, or when I am purchasing travel money from specific sites. It's poor web design to force your site to rely on 3rd party tracking for secure purchases to work, but I am not high enough up the food chain to dictate these things to fortune 500's ;P.. I do suggest you give it a try, just remember that you did it and (ideally) remember how to un-do it in case you ever get pages that dont work.
For instance, google adverts dont work for me, and the wife/kids often click the links and are upset with me because the ad-link doesnt forward them to whatever webpage.

The only issues you may get when using external dns servers is when your using another isp's dns server. ISP's sometimes redirect to specific connections that may not be ideal for you if your not using their service. Generally tho I would say this isnt a big issue.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ned2021 is on a distinguished road

Thanks jlewter. Great advice ! Works great !

Last edited by Mars Mug; December 12th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.