Old December 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Snoopytime is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

Hey there, got my new 4500 around a month ago. last 2 weeks, my gf and I have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5 . . 2 totally different machines obviously with the same problem.

Its not the cable modem . . whocih is a DocSis3.0 Motorola.

The only thing that fixes it is powering down the 4500 from the power button on the back under the power cord for 3 seconds (or more) and rebooting it.

Then the internet reconnects right away.

Anyone else experience this? I know its not anything but the router since that is the only thing that changed and it doesnt do it when I swap in my old WNR3500.

Thanks, hopefully it gets fixed in the next firmware. At the moment I am rockin the new one (.7~) . . the problem happened before and after this firmware.
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

TAZMANUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

This router is awful at the moment fails to keep ssid settings, authenticate, looses wifi, im fed up, waiting for.netgear to phone or it goesback
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Rhyalus is on a distinguished road

Hi - I have two PC's and a Unix workstation hooked up to the LAN (1 GB wired) and I have never experienced a drop. I use one of these PC's constantly throughout the day.

Via wireless, I have had periodic 5 GHz drops (maybe once every few days).

Have you done factory resets, etc?

R
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5
does any drops happens if the PC is not in standby/sleep when you walk away from the PC?

if so check power management of the network adapter on on PC and make sure they are always wake.
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:01 AM

safesurf is on a distinguished road

I just got my WNDR 4500 two day ago and my connection to the internet drops ever 30 minutes of inactivity. I have firmware V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 that was installed during setup. I also did a restore to factory defaults like the update said. I wanted to know if a setting needs to be changed or is this a firmware bug. Getting ready to take this back.
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yeah mine sill does it. It is *not* a LAN dropout .. i.e. on either the LION or the Win7x64 I can still logon to the 4500.

In fact, on my Win7 machine I have Netgear Genie installed. When the WAN drops out, the Win7 LAN icon gets a yellow triangle with a (!) in it, and the Netgear Genie tray icon goes RED (ie no WAN).

I just double clicked the Red Genie to launch it, and its own software (Genie) realized there was a problem. Then it said 'Click here to fix it'. Its solution was to reboot the device (4500). It took longer than me reaching my finger to the power button lolol.

So yeah its an odd WAN dropout, not a client operating system setting.
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM

safesurf is on a distinguished road

I returned the WNDR4500 and got a "Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2)". This router is working great so far.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

velocci is on a distinguished road

Snoopytime, are you using wired connections or wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopytime View Post
Hey there, got my new 4500 around a month ago. last 2 weeks, my gf and I have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5 . . 2 totally different machines obviously with the same problem.

Its not the cable modem . . whocih is a DocSis3.0 Motorola.

The only thing that fixes it is powering down the 4500 from the power button on the back under the power cord for 3 seconds (or more) and rebooting it.

Then the internet reconnects right away.

Anyone else experience this? I know its not anything but the router since that is the only thing that changed and it doesnt do it when I swap in my old WNR3500.

Thanks, hopefully it gets fixed in the next firmware. At the moment I am rockin the new one (.7~) . . the problem happened before and after this firmware.
Old December 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM

yojimbo is on a distinguished road

fwiw i'm having the problem with both wired and wireless. having to reboot 2-3x/day.
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi there, I am having the problem with wired (ethernet) . . good new CAT6 short cables (6foot) straight from the machines into the 4500.

On a side note, last night I disabled "Disable IGMP Proxying" under the WAN SETUP page and I havent had the loss of connection yet in 24 hours.

I was looking for any obscure or proprietary oddball setting that could be kooking out a regular guy situation such as my own.

If you have the problem try unchecking that setting, it could be just a coiincidence, but so far it appears to help.