Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Range Extenders & Repeaters

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

BillS22 is on a distinguished road
Smile How I configured my WN3000RP

AT first I had many of the same problems:
Dropped Network
Device Lockups

Then it dawned on me that I might have a Network Overlap Issue.

I have a NETGEAR Wireless Router, but it's in the far corner of the house. (the only place I can hardwire my Cable Modem to the Router)

My house is small and the router reaches the entire house, but the signal is weak in the Living Room. (the area of most wireless activity)

Setup Steps
1. I had to configure the WN3000RP via hard wire. I could not get WPS to work.
2. Make sure all wireless devices do NOT use the Router WIFI, only the Extended WIFI via the WN3000RP.

I found that if some devices used the Router's SSID while other Devices used the WN3000RP's SSID, the Network would lock up.

But when I made sure all wireless devices used the WN3000RP's SSID only, the lock up's went away.

Again, my house is small, 1785 sq Ft, and I figure the two networks were clashing. My whole-house WIFI is strong via the WN3000RP, so my setup is ok.

The WN3000RP is centrally located, so my net gain is good.
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jfox3366 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How I configured my WN3000RP

There are actually 2 ways where you can setup this extender. Either the manual process or using the WPS. As what you have indicated, you were having some problems with the WPS setup. So I suggest if you could do the manual setup instead.

Before doing the setup, I would also suggest if you could perform factory reset on the unit. While it is plugged in, kindly press and hold the reset button for a minute then unplug it from the power outlet and plug it back after 30 seconds.

1. Once the Extender is powered on and the Status LED is green, on your wireless PC, try to connect to NETGEAR_EXT (SSID) wireless network. After the connection with the PC is established, the PC to Extender LED turns green. Next, you need to connect the Extender to your existing Wi-Fi network.

2. Open a web browser window from the same PC, and the browser should take you directly to the on-screen setup guide. Or, you can always access the Extender settings by typing www.mywifiext.net in your browser URL bar

3. The web browser setup guide walks you through the following steps:

Selecting the Wi-Fi network you would like to extend.
Entering the security passphrase for the existing network. (Please make sure to enter your wireless security key properly). If your wireless security key is under WEP, please put this information on the Key 1 box and not on the Passphrase box. If its under WPA/WPA2, kindly just enter it on the Passphrase box.
Choosing the name for your new Extender network. After this process, it will then ask you now to connect on your new extender's wireless network
Connecting your wireless devices to your new Extender network.

4. Once your computer is successfully connected to your new extender's network, kindly complete the setup and check if you could establish a connection this time.
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I found that if some devices used the Router's SSID while other Devices used the WN3000RP's SSID, the Network would lock up.

But when I made sure all wireless devices used the WN3000RP's SSID only, the lock up's went away.
so you have like this

wireless router.... ssid name : xxx
extender has xxx_ext

Different SSID name. So when you say lock up, how do you define that since you can connect extender despite some WPS issues
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM

GReid is on a distinguished road

JFOX and BillS

I want to thank you for your instructions that you posted.

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to get my WN3000RP configured on my wireless network.

After reading your posts, I started again, using your instructions.

I was able to get all my laptop computers, Wii and Sony Blu-Ray with Netflix up and operational using the extender in very short order.

Now, I have internet access from the far end of the house using my I-Pad2.

I, like many, have been frustrated with little or no access when you get to far from the main router.

Good Job Grasshopper!! You done good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox3366 View Post
There are actually 2 ways where you can setup this extender. Either the manual process or using the WPS. As what you have indicated, you were having some problems with the WPS setup. So I suggest if you could do the manual setup instead.

Before doing the setup, I would also suggest if you could perform factory reset on the unit. While it is plugged in, kindly press and hold the reset button for a minute then unplug it from the power outlet and plug it back after 30 seconds.

1. Once the Extender is powered on and the Status LED is green, on your wireless PC, try to connect to NETGEAR_EXT (SSID) wireless network. After the connection with the PC is established, the PC to Extender LED turns green. Next, you need to connect the Extender to your existing Wi-Fi network.

2. Open a web browser window from the same PC, and the browser should take you directly to the on-screen setup guide. Or, you can always access the Extender settings by typing www.mywifiext.net in your browser URL bar

3. The web browser setup guide walks you through the following steps:

Selecting the Wi-Fi network you would like to extend.
Entering the security passphrase for the existing network. (Please make sure to enter your wireless security key properly). If your wireless security key is under WEP, please put this information on the Key 1 box and not on the Passphrase box. If its under WPA/WPA2, kindly just enter it on the Passphrase box.
Choosing the name for your new Extender network. After this process, it will then ask you now to connect on your new extender's wireless network
Connecting your wireless devices to your new Extender network.

4. Once your computer is successfully connected to your new extender's network, kindly complete the setup and check if you could establish a connection this time.
Old December 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Glad to help.

My network has been up and running since Sunday morning without loss of connection. (Today is Wednesday.)

All wireless devices are accessing the WEB via the WN3000RP only, and all hardwired devices are accessing the WEB via the LAN on the N600.

Life is good.
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM

let is on a distinguished road

What if you need the coverage of both your router AND access point?

Could you simply give the access point the same SSID as the router?

I lose wireless on the access point after a day or so, yet the router wireless is still OK. Been a bear trying to figure out why.
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

let - Sorry, I'm not an expert.

I couldn't get the WIFI Network to be stable unless I took all wireless devices off my router, and let the WN3000RP handle all the wireless traffic.

In my situation that worked because my house is small and the WN3000RP covers the entire house.

I essentially moved, or bridged, my WIFI to the center of the house.

I have to keep my router in the corner bedroom because that's where my cable modem is. Had I moved the Cable Modem and Router to the living room, I would have achieved the same results. But I didn't want all that gear in the living room.
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM

GReid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by let View Post
What if you need the coverage of both your router AND access point?

Could you simply give the access point the same SSID as the router?

I lose wireless on the access point after a day or so, yet the router wireless is still OK. Been a bear trying to figure out why.
For what it's worth. I left my main computer, the one next to the router on the router part of the network.

My daughters bedroom is also close to that computer, so it is set up to work with the router.

My living room, where 2 laptops, and the Blu-Ray reside are on the WN3000RP. Since the Master Bedroom and Living Room are the furthest away from the router, they are only configured for the WN3000RP.

I have had the system up like this for several days now, without any problems.
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Max07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReid View Post
JFOX and BillS

I want to thank you for your instructions that you posted.

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to get my WN3000RP configured on my wireless network.

After reading your posts, I started again, using your instructions.

I was able to get all my laptop computers, Wii and Sony Blu-Ray with Netflix up and operational using the extender in very short order.

Now, I have internet access from the far end of the house using my I-Pad2.

I, like many, have been frustrated with little or no access when you get to far from the main router.

Good Job Grasshopper!! You done good!
OK, this was VERY helpful, and got me further than following either the "in the box" or the online directions (which conflict, by the way). However, I can't get my laptop to connect to the extender, sitting right next to it. I can still connect to the router, but the extender is telling me the security key is wrong, even though I copied it directly from the setup.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:26 AM

dduck1953 is on a distinguished road

I'm having similar problems. I'm using the WN3000RP extender with a WNR2000 router. My problem is I have to reset the router EVERY day for the extender to allow my ipad to connect. My ipad shows I'm getting a strong signal with the extender, but no internet access. As soon as I reset the router, everything is fine, for a day. Before adding the extender, I hardly ever had to reset the router. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I called Netgear customer service and had the worst CS experience of my life. The gentleman I spoke to actually told me I didn't have a problem, sounded like everything was working fine. After 30 minutes, I finally agreed with him and hung up. Again, any help would be appreciated.