Old December 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

JasonL is on a distinguished road
Default Dual band can't use same SSID for both?

I recently purchased the 4500 and I love it so far...

One problem / question I have is on the dual band wireless setup, it gives me an error when I try to save the settings if both bands are using the same SSID.

I thought it was supposed to have the same SSID, then the wireless adapters figured out which band had the best signal and connected accordingly...

No matter what I try, it will not let me keep the same SSID for both bands..

I have the most recent firmware, 1.0.70

And on a side note, is it best to leave channel selections set to auto unless issues are present?

Thanks,

J
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dickie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dual band can't use same SSID for both?

Did you figure this out? As far as I know thats a 'key' feature of the simultaneous dual-band support (and works fine on my wndr3700's).

Have you got anything configured on the guest networks that may be conflicting?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Rhyalus is on a distinguished road

You must have different SSID names for the two bands.

R
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Dual band can't use same SSID for both?

Technically you can have same SSID for both band but most will use different SSID in order to know which one is the right band unless you disable either band in wifi utility which some can..

Using diffent SSID will be good idea
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Susie23 is on a distinguished road

"You must have different SSID names for the two bands."

I agree.

-----------------

"I thought it was supposed to have the same SSID, then the wireless adapters figured out which band had the best signal and connected accordingly..."

Its a misconception. I doubt that your wireless adapter behaves that way. In fact, in some cases it confuses the adapter and get a wireless connectivity problem. I think that is the reason why Netgear is preventing same SSID on the newer models.

----------------
Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM

it may hop ONLY if other band died or with extremely low signal I could use it but if you have both band but eventually it will confuse itself that is why you want different SSID if you have oth band enabled on wifi adapter
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dickie is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Susie23;386417]"You must have different SSID names for the two bands."

I dont agree :-) I agree it helps you to know what network you're connecting to for troubleshooting, but you can tell that from the channel number (any normally the wireless client software).

If you take a look at the Netgear marketing they tend to imply a single SSID (they way that I read it) so that you can take advantage of the 5ghz when you're local to the AP, but fall back to the 2Ghz when interference it too much. Thats the way I've got it running on my 3700's.

Or did I misread the question - are you saying that the 4500 will NOT let you configure it like this through the GUI?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM

it will fail other band "IF" extremely low signal occurred but remember 2.4Ghz has better range so likely that 5Ghz will pick up where 2.4Ghz band start show low signal.

Two bands are user to use "best" band in environment you are in. if you live in dense 2.4ghz, you will be force to use 5ghz because of channels are limited.

if have good signal with 2.4Ghz or whichever you decide to use , use that band as your primary.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Susie23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I dont agree :-) I agree it helps you to know what network you're connecting to for troubleshooting, but you can tell that from the channel number (any normally the wireless client software).
Having 2 separate network profiles or single network profile will not change the connection behavior. Just like jmizoguchi says, its all about the connection hopping.

Not alot of people knows their 2.4 or 5 GHz and their (hidden) channel the way we do.

In some cases, if your SSIDs are the same - you will have a wireless connectivity problem when you are connecting client that was 2.4Ghz adapter ONLY. (adapter gets confused). thus I still prefer separate names SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz.

--------

Quote:
Or did I misread the question - are you saying that the 4500 will NOT let you configure it like this through the GUI?
If the OP is saying is true, it could be a probablity if thats the case.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie23 View Post
In some cases, if your SSIDs are the same - you will have a wireless connectivity problem when you are connecting client that was 2.4Ghz adapter ONLY. (adapter gets confused). thus I still prefer separate names SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz.
A 2.4GHz only adaptor will be totally unaware of the 5GHz band, it cannot get confused.

Otherwise, using the same SSID for both bands should not be an issue at all for the adaptor (and the router really should allow it). The adaptor should be able to distinguish by frequency band and by the unique MAC addresses for both the router radios.

But if we just consider single band use, then in hotels and businesses with multiple access points it’s very common for those access points to use the same SSID throughout the installation, you could have several access points even using the same channel with the same SSID.

My name is Andy.