Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

NatRay is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: WNDR4700 Announced

Those same sleeping users are going to be rudely awakened when their non-blinking routers are in need of repair. Technicians charge extra when troubleshooting a problem escalates beyond blinking lights.
Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** Qosmio-X505 **
DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007
Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .
‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR4700 Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatRay View Post
Those same sleeping users are going to be rudely awakened when their non-blinking routers are in need of repair. Technicians charge extra when troubleshooting a problem escalates beyond blinking lights.
lol.... sometime you have teach by their mistakes....
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

delirious is on a distinguished road

Purchased the WDNR4500 yesterday. Nice router with nice features of using a media server with two USB drives. Set up went well and I went in to enable ReadyShare Cloud like CNET said it would have. Nope! I called tech support at netgear. Wasted an solid hour, got transferred 4 times and had to repeat myself to every tech my information. What a beating just to find out from the 5th guy I spoke with that the 4500 doesn't support Readycloud. Why? Why skip a generation and not on the 4500? Why, probably because it makes better sense to promote a new product with that capability and sell more new product.

I took the 4500 back to best buy. I can live witout a wireless N router and gigabit for a few months until the 4700 comes out. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Tech support is really a bad experience at netgear. Mostly VOIP India..... sigh....
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thudo is on a distinguished road

Not too shocked by that experience.. hoping they put in USB3 ports...
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

Do you have a link to where CNET said the 4500 has ReadyShare Cloud?

"Would" may be the operative word here. The 4500 may indeed have ReadyShare Cloud available as a download in the future as Netgear ramps up the 4700 and some kind of store to share/buy apps.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

delirious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
Do you have a link to where CNET said the 4500 has ReadyShare Cloud?

"Would" may be the operative word here. The 4500 may indeed have ReadyShare Cloud available as a download in the future as Netgear ramps up the 4700 and some kind of store to share/buy apps.
I believe your are right. After looking back at what I was looking at I read this,:

wireless N posts on CNET
news.cnet.com/8300-5_3-0.html?keyword=wireless N
Jan 10, 2012 ... That's the role of the WNDR4500 , which makes no compromises and offers ... It even comes with a piece of software called ReadyShare Cloud ... check out CNET's full review of the Netgear WNDR3800 N600 Wireless ..."

First, I installed the 4500 and a page opened up with all the features of the readyshare and I saw it said cloud but didn't see that it was only the 3800. I just thought it was included since the installation of the router opened that page on the netgear site and second, I went by what I saw written above before I purchased it and was in a bit of a hurry to get a media sever solution after having problems with the E4200 V2. Guilty of not reading fully. Thanks for pointing that out. Still, I do believe the WDHR4700 will be a better fit with the USB3 media server capabilities, Readyshare cloud..... It's really what I am looking for.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

Man, you mangled that quote! Sometimes it's best to quote the entire sentence instead of chopping them up.

From the article:

Quote:
Furthermore, the WNDR3800 offers something that its big brother doesn't: it can host a USB external hard drive as a personal cloud storage option. It even comes with a piece of software called ReadyShare Cloud PC-Agent, which enables VPN-like access for the remote computer, as though the remote computer were in the same local network as the router.

On the other hand, the WNDR4500's storage capability is limited to that of a local network.
If you do get the 4700, let the forum know your experiences with it.
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Goob is on a distinguished road

I have a NAS that I am quite happy with. Most geeks do.
All these routers with "Ready Share" USB and whatever the competition calls theirs - I see these as convenience features I probably will never use.

I have no desire for a router to be a NAS, play music in the morning, or make me coffee.

I get that in a competitive market Netgear has to offer more features than the next guy. But I agree with others that Netgear should focus on releasing bug free routers first, then add the cappuccino maker later if they absolutely can't fight the urge.

With NAS devices being affordable and all the sharing offered by Windows 7, it baffles me why anyone would plug a USB device into a router much less buiuld a hard drive into one ...
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Goob,

I see it as a convergence of similar technology, a good NAS combined with a good router in the same package is a power / space saver, but it’s ‘all your eggs in one basket’ in my opinion.

I also have several NAS drives serving slightly different purposes, for example I have a main backup NAS where I don’t use it for DLNA, and another NAS which I use only for DLNA.

When I first started using routers with a USB capability a few years ago, I saw them at that time in the same way as you perhaps, as a convenient feature for occasional use but not as a practical alternative to a dedicated NAS.

I do expect that a router with built in HD should not suffer from the poor performance that current USB routers exhibit, and I would hope (a big hope) that Netgear will have learned enough from the USB variant to make the HD model less buggy.

I do agree that in many cases there’s still a lot of work needed in the basic wireless router area.

My name is Andy.
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:10 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When I first started using routers with a USB capability a few years ago, I saw them at that time in the same way as you perhaps, as a convenient feature for occasional use but not as a practical alternative to a dedicated NAS.
I agree too. Seems those USB ports are useless when it comes to throughput. Would be cool to create RAID 1 setup (2HD) + router but me personally I like you se dedicated NAS.

I do exactly as you do. I have stora for DLNA media server only and readyshare NAS for all other data storage